Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question

kraut

Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and
Internet Explorer ver 7.

When I used to be at a web site with Internet Explorer and click on
"View, Source" the source or HTML code for the site used to open in
Notepad. I do not know what happened but now when I click on "View,
Source" a Windows Explorer" type window titled "Desktop" opens that
lists all the programs I have on the desktop.

Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??

TIA

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question

"kraut" <kraut3852@yahoo.comg> wrote in message

> Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
> Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??

I can't remember if IE7 has this but if you installed IE8 instead you could
use its Developer Tools to switch source viewers easily. (F12, Alt-F,C,N)

---

G. R. Woodring

Date: 4/6/2010 2:10 PM, Author: kraut Wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and
> Internet Explorer ver 7.
>
> When I used to be at a web site with Internet Explorer and click on
> "View, Source" the source or HTML code for the site used to open in
> Notepad. I do not know what happened but now when I click on "View,
> Source" a Windows Explorer" type window titled "Desktop" opens that
> lists all the programs I have on the desktop.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
> Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??
>
> TIA

In Internet Explorer open [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab. What do you
have for HTML Editor? Your description suggests it has been set to "Windows
Explorer" or "explorer.exe".

--
G. R. Woodring

G. R. Woodring wrote:
> Date: 4/6/2010 2:10 PM, Author: kraut Wrote:
>>
>> I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and
>> Internet Explorer ver 7.
>>
>> When I used to be at a web site with Internet Explorer and click on
>> "View, Source" the source or HTML code for the site used to open in
>> Notepad. I do not know what happened but now when I click on "View,
>> Source" a Windows Explorer" type window titled "Desktop" opens that
>> lists all the programs I have on the desktop.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
>> Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??

> In Internet Explorer open [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab.
> What do you have for HTML Editor? Your description suggests it has been
> set to "Windows Explorer" or "explorer.exe".

+1
kraut

Re: Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question - Update
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:08:42 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and
>>> Internet Explorer ver 7.
>>>
>>> When I used to be at a web site with Internet Explorer and click on
>>> "View, Source" the source or HTML code for the site used to open in
>>> Notepad. I do not know what happened but now when I click on "View,
>>> Source" a Windows Explorer" type window titled "Desktop" opens that
>>> lists all the programs I have on the desktop.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
>>> Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??

>> In Internet Explorer open [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab.
>> What do you have for HTML Editor? Your description suggests it has been
>> set to "Windows Explorer" or "explorer.exe".

>+1

Well no one seemed to be willing or able to help me out here (Have no
idea what the hang +1 means) so I figured I would upgrade to version 8
and fix it that way.

I did not want to at first 'cause of problems others had with it but
so far I have had no problems YET.

Of cours I am not one to add this or that or to change things. I run
it the way it is. Maybe that is why I have had no problems!!

Thanks to those who tryed to help.

G. R. Woodring

Date: 4/9/2010 1:07 PM, Author: kraut Wrote:

>>> In Internet Explorer open [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab.
>>> What do you have for HTML Editor? Your description suggests it has been
>>> set to "Windows Explorer" or "explorer.exe".

>> +1

> Well no one seemed to be willing or able to help me out here (Have no
> idea what the hang +1 means) so I figured I would upgrade to version 8
> and fix it that way.
>
> I did not want to at first 'cause of problems others had with it but
> so far I have had no problems YET.
>
> Of cours I am not one to add this or that or to change things. I run
> it the way it is. Maybe that is why I have had no problems!!
>
> Thanks to those who tryed to help.

I asked : "What do you have for HTML Editor?". P A Bear responded +1 to add himself
as one who agreed that this was a good setting to check. You didn't answer the
question. Probably no one else responded because they wanted to know if this setting
was or was not the problem before suggesting other possible solutions.

As a rule IE8 would inherit any faulty settings from IE7 but as Windows Explorer
would not be a valid choice as HTML editor, the new install might have restored the
normal default of Notepad.

--
G. R. Woodring
Jeff Strickland

Re: Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question

"kraut" <kraut3852@yahoo.comg> wrote in message

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and
> Internet Explorer ver 7.
>
> When I used to be at a web site with Internet Explorer and click on
> "View, Source" the source or HTML code for the site used to open in
> Notepad. I do not know what happened but now when I click on "View,
> Source" a Windows Explorer" type window titled "Desktop" opens that
> lists all the programs I have on the desktop.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get it back to where when I click "View,
> Source" it will open in Notepad again like it used to??
>
> TIA

Have you tried TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS, and set the default HTML
editor to Notepad?

Jeff Strickland

>>> In Internet Explorer open [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab.
>>> What do you have for HTML Editor? Your description suggests it has been
>>> set to "Windows Explorer" or "explorer.exe".

>>+1

> Well no one seemed to be willing or able to help me out here (Have no
> idea what the hang +1 means) so I figured I would upgrade to version 8
> and fix it that way.
>
> I did not want to at first 'cause of problems others had with it but
> so far I have had no problems YET.
>
> Of cours I am not one to add this or that or to change things. I run
> it the way it is. Maybe that is why I have had no problems!!
>
> Thanks to those who tryed to help.

You still will be required to visit TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS and set
the HTML editor to Notepad.

kraut

Re: Internet Explorer ver 7 "View, Source" question - Update
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 18:17:26 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>+1

>> Well no one seemed to be willing or able to help me out here (Have no
>> idea what the hang +1 means) so I figured I would upgrade to version 8
>> and fix it that way.
>>
>> I did not want to at first 'cause of problems others had with it but
>> so far I have had no problems YET.
>>
>> Of cours I am not one to add this or that or to change things. I run
>> it the way it is. Maybe that is why I have had no problems!!
>>
>> Thanks to those who tryed to help.
>>

>You still will be required to visit TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS and set
>the HTML editor to Notepad.

Not so.

When I upgraded to version 8 it set it so when I click "View, Source"
it shows the the source or HTML code for the site in some kind of text
viewer (Not Notepad) that evidently is part of version 8.

As for TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS> HTML editor it is set to MS
Front Page Editor as it has always been even when it used to open the
source in Notepad. One day for whatever reason it just stopped
showing it in Notepad.

Anyways version 8 straightened it out so it makes no difference.
TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS> HTML editor is still set to MS Front
Page Editor.

Jeff Strickland

>>> Well no one seemed to be willing or able to help me out here (Have no
>>> idea what the hang +1 means) so I figured I would upgrade to version 8
>>> and fix it that way.
>>>
>>> I did not want to at first 'cause of problems others had with it but
>>> so far I have had no problems YET.
>>>
>>> Of cours I am not one to add this or that or to change things. I run
>>> it the way it is. Maybe that is why I have had no problems!!
>>>
>>> Thanks to those who tryed to help.
>>>

>>You still will be required to visit TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS and
>>set
>>the HTML editor to Notepad.
>>

> Not so.
>
> When I upgraded to version 8 it set it so when I click "View, Source"
> it shows the the source or HTML code for the site in some kind of text
> viewer (Not Notepad) that evidently is part of version 8.
>
> As for TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS> HTML editor it is set to MS
> Front Page Editor as it has always been even when it used to open the
> source in Notepad. One day for whatever reason it just stopped
> showing it in Notepad.
>
> Anyways version 8 straightened it out so it makes no difference.
> TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS> HTML editor is still set to MS Front
> Page Editor.

Okay, I'm confused.

If Notepad is NOT the default viewer/editor of HTML, then it should not be
the first to open when you right-click and select View Source. You can
right-click and select Open With, and select Notepad, but if you select View
Source, the default editor should be invoked. If something else happened,
then you have finally fixed it.