Not impressed with IE8

Mastiff54

Not impressed with IE8
Well for those of us who bought the hype and moved to Win7, using IE8 is not
an option. Like so many of the other posts I am not impressed with either at
all.
Since this is a post about IE8 I'll stay on that subject. The inability to
merge toolbars is decades overdue. The favorites bar is not used by anyone I
know, although I am sure there are some folks who just leave it suck up space
on their window.
Security (Safety - LOL) is cumbersome, intrusive and so ineffective that
almost all of us still depend on third party software and have to disable the
'features' of IE to make things work.
There seems to be much less flexibility than IE 6 or 7 in setting up
anything.
Printing is worse that previous editions
IE8 seems to simply be a vehicle to promote the plethora of add ons that are
proliferating the scene.
It seems a shame that with all of the intelligence of Microsoft that basic
functionality has to be relegated to add-ons and garbage remains the heart of
the product.

Re: Not impressed with IE8
Are you impressed at all by IE8's enhanced security?

Mastiff54 wrote:
> Well for those of us who bought the hype and moved to Win7, using IE8 is
> not
> an option. Like so many of the other posts I am not impressed with either
> at all.
> Since this is a post about IE8 I'll stay on that subject. The inability
> merge toolbars is decades overdue. The favorites bar is not used by
> anyone
> I know, although I am sure there are some folks who just leave it suck up
> space on their window.
> Security (Safety - LOL) is cumbersome, intrusive and so ineffective that
> almost all of us still depend on third party software and have to disable
> the 'features' of IE to make things work.
> There seems to be much less flexibility than IE 6 or 7 in setting up
> anything.
> Printing is worse that previous editions
> IE8 seems to simply be a vehicle to promote the plethora of add ons that
> are
> proliferating the scene.
> It seems a shame that with all of the intelligence of Microsoft that
> basic
> functionality has to be relegated to add-ons and garbage remains the heart
> of the product.

Twayne

Re: Not impressed with IE8
In news:EC0336AA-DFDF-4CFF-9631-245C6F713E68@microsoft.com,
Mastiff54 <Mastiff54@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Well for those of us who bought the hype and moved to Win7,
> using IE8 is not an option. Like so many of the other
> posts I am not impressed with either at all.
> Since this is a post about IE8 I'll stay on that subject.
> The inability to merge toolbars is decades overdue. The
> favorites bar is not used by anyone I know, although I am
> sure there are some folks who just leave it suck up space
> on their window.
> Security (Safety - LOL) is cumbersome, intrusive and so
> ineffective that almost all of us still depend on third
> party software and have to disable the 'features' of IE to
> make things work.
> There seems to be much less flexibility than IE 6 or 7 in
> setting up anything.
> Printing is worse that previous editions
> IE8 seems to simply be a vehicle to promote the plethora of
> add ons that are proliferating the scene.
> It seems a shame that with all of the intelligence of
> Microsoft that basic functionality has to be relegated to
> add-ons and garbage remains the heart of the product.

Then go back to IE6 or another browser entirely that pleases
you more. Most just don't give a hoot what your opinions are
they are off topic w/r to the intent of this group. You aren't
talking to MS here; just a bunch of users trying to help each
other out.

Leonard Grey

Re: Not impressed with IE8
I'm not impressed with your opinions.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mastiff54 wrote:
> Well for those of us who bought the hype and moved to Win7, using IE8 is not
> an option. Like so many of the other posts I am not impressed with either at
> all.
> Since this is a post about IE8 I'll stay on that subject. The inability to
> merge toolbars is decades overdue. The favorites bar is not used by anyone I
> know, although I am sure there are some folks who just leave it suck up space
> on their window.
> Security (Safety - LOL) is cumbersome, intrusive and so ineffective that
> almost all of us still depend on third party software and have to disable the
> 'features' of IE to make things work.
> There seems to be much less flexibility than IE 6 or 7 in setting up
> anything.
> Printing is worse that previous editions
> IE8 seems to simply be a vehicle to promote the plethora of add ons that are
> proliferating the scene.
> It seems a shame that with all of the intelligence of Microsoft that basic
> functionality has to be relegated to add-ons and garbage remains the heart of
> the product.

Twayne

OT Re: Not impressed with IE8
In news:OCkT1Zb1KHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> typed:
> I wonder how many people are impressed with its high
> resource usage.

Hmm, what particular resources does IE 8 seem to hog on you?
What is your OS? Level? Ver? Add-ons, Extensions, etc.. There
may be a fix for it.
When I first got IE8 via an update, it WAS a hog and full
of pauses mostly. I re-downloaded it from another source
though and installed it manually and everything worked
perfectly. Had a good experience with IE7 also, but dumped it
for 8's security improvements & other little things it fixed.

I know some who swear IE 6, 7 and 8 has memory leaks but I
can't see any evidence of it happening here, at least on 3
different machines; an XP Home laptop, Pro Desktop and an old
2k2 Server Pro, all updated OS-wise. My XP Pro SP3 machine is
a fast one with lots of RAM but the other two are slow, one
slow as molasses, but that's consistant and due to cpu
speed/RAM near as I can tell.

Regards,

Twayne`

Bogey Man

Re: Not impressed with IE8
I'm not impressed with his opinions either. He sounds more like a troll to
me.

Ron P

-----------much drivel snipped------------