Web pages displaying erratically

gmart

Web pages displaying erratically
Recently purchased a new computer w/ Win7. I've noticed on some of my web
pages it will not display graphics or pictures. I get the little warning
sign in the bottom "Done w/ errors" or the red x in the corner of the picture
box. Today all of a sudden I have one page that has some graphics
summarizing stock markets (site is wsj.com, upper right corner) It has been
displaying it fine until yesterday, now all of a sudden nothing shows up
there. I have not changed any settings and it shows up fine on my old
computer which is sitting right next to this one and on the same network.
Tried turning Norton firewall off but that did not do it. Settings all
appear the same as old computer????
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Web pages displaying erratically

"gmart" <gmart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently purchased a new computer w/ Win7. I've noticed on some of my web
> pages it will not display graphics or pictures. I get the little warning
> sign in the bottom "Done w/ errors" or the red x in the corner of the
> picture
> box. Today all of a sudden I have one page that has some graphics
> summarizing stock markets (site is wsj.com, upper right corner) It has
> been
> displaying it fine until yesterday, now all of a sudden nothing shows up
> there. I have not changed any settings and it shows up fine on my old
> computer which is sitting right next to this one and on the same network.
> Tried turning Norton firewall off but that did not do it. Settings all
> appear the same as old computer????

Use the IE8 Image Report (from Developer Tools) to get some clues about
those images. (F12, Alt-I,R)

gmart

Re: Web pages displaying erratically

Ok, did that. Got lots of info but I'm not sure what it means. It says
those images are "Broken Images". Not sure what to look for regarding the
market graphics. Interesting after I followed your directions, it showed up
this morning??? I did contact my ISP the other day and of course they said
it wasn't their issue as I was on line. Thanks.

> Ok, did that. Got lots of info but I'm not sure what it means. It says
> those images are "Broken Images".

That's what I was expecting you might see. Unfortunately IE8 doesn't given
any more clues about what makes them "broken". One thing that I saw on a
previous beta was evidence of someone using a trial version of an image
generator. E.g. when the image file was opened in Notepad there was a
notice about that tacked on the bottom. I suppose something like that
might be interpreted as making it "broken".

> Not sure what to look for regarding the
> market graphics. Interesting after I followed your directions, it showed
> up
> this morning??? I did contact my ISP the other day and of course they
> said
> it wasn't their issue as I was on line. Thanks.

I guess you could notify the web site if you see more "broken images" from
them sometime. ; )

HTH

Robert
---