IE8 32 and 64 bit

Jeff Layman

IE8 32 and 64 bit
I am tired of IE8-32 firing up with "Internet Explorer has stopped
responding" on my W7x64 laptop (Event ID 1002 in "Windows Log -
Application". NB why nothing under "Applications and Services Logs -
Internet Explorer"?). This happens every day, often more than once.

Although I have FF and Opera, I thought I'd try IE8-64. Not had a "Stopped
responding" message, but can't stop "This website wants to install the
following add-on 'Adobe Flash Player Installer' from 'Adobe Systems
Incorporated'. If you trust the website..." appearing every few minutes,
whether I agree to the install or not. AFAIAA, there is no 64-bit version
of the Flash player, so why does this message keep appearing Flash is
installed and running on IE8-32).

On other thing. I see in Tools | Options | Programs that "Internet Explorer
(64-bit) cannot be the default browser". Why not?

--

Jeff

Re: IE8 32 and 64 bit
See this "sticky" discussion in the IE forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981

Jeff Layman wrote:
> I am tired of IE8-32 firing up with "Internet Explorer has stopped
> responding" on my W7x64 laptop (Event ID 1002 in "Windows Log -
> Application". NB why nothing under "Applications and Services Logs -
> Internet Explorer"?). This happens every day, often more than once.
>
> Although I have FF and Opera, I thought I'd try IE8-64. Not had a
> "Stopped
> responding" message, but can't stop "This website wants to install the
> following add-on 'Adobe Flash Player Installer' from 'Adobe Systems
> Incorporated'. If you trust the website..." appearing every few minutes,
> whether I agree to the install or not. AFAIAA, there is no 64-bit version
> of the Flash player, so why does this message keep appearing Flash is
> installed and running on IE8-32).
>
> On other thing. I see in Tools | Options | Programs that "Internet
> Explorer
> (64-bit) cannot be the default browser". Why not?

Jeff Layman

Re: IE8 32 and 64 bit
Thanks. But I spoke too soon - IE8-64 just crashed with the same message
and Event ID 1002.

I see that there is no ActiveX support for a level 2 browser. No wonder MS
doesn't allow it as a default browser...

--

Jeff
> See this "sticky" discussion in the IE forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I am tired of IE8-32 firing up with "Internet Explorer has stopped
>> responding" on my W7x64 laptop (Event ID 1002 in "Windows Log -
>> Application". NB why nothing under "Applications and Services Logs -
>> Internet Explorer"?). This happens every day, often more than once.
>>
>> Although I have FF and Opera, I thought I'd try IE8-64. Not had a
>> "Stopped
>> responding" message, but can't stop "This website wants to install the
>> following add-on 'Adobe Flash Player Installer' from 'Adobe Systems
>> Incorporated'. If you trust the website..." appearing every few minutes,
>> whether I agree to the install or not. AFAIAA, there is no 64-bit
>> version
>> of the Flash player, so why does this message keep appearing Flash is
>> installed and running on IE8-32).
>>
>> On other thing. I see in Tools | Options | Programs that "Internet
>> Explorer
>> (64-bit) cannot be the default browser". Why not?

Re: IE8 32 and 64 bit
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?