Why does connection setting changed?

Eric

Why does connection setting changed?
I am using XP with SP3 ad IE8, and already set
Tool > Option > Connection > select always us the default connection, but
sometimes, this setting will automatically change back to select never
dail-up for connection.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what wrong it is?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
FrankV

Re: Why does connection setting changed?
I use the "dial whenever network connection is needed" and it seems to work
the best. Have you tried this option?

Frank

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using XP with SP3 ad IE8, and already set
> Tool > Option > Connection > select always us the default connection, but
> sometimes, this setting will automatically change back to select never
> dail-up for connection.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what wrong it is?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Re: Why does connection setting changed?
One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the changes from "sticking." These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.

Eric wrote:
> I am using XP with SP3 ad IE8, and already set
> Tool > Option > Connection > select always us the default connection, but
> sometimes, this setting will automatically change back to select never
> dail-up for connection.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what wrong it is?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Twayne

Re: Why does connection setting changed?
In news:eeJEN3B1KHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:
> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of
> third-party applications may be disallowing the changes
> from "sticking." These include anti-spyware applications
> (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy,
> WinPatrol, etc), anti-virus applications & security suites
> (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32, Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.),
> and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm, etc.).

Well, I use Adaware's ad-watch, Spybot teatimer and Winpatrol
and they aren't doing that here on my machines. I don't recall
there being any exclusions or anything to set in any of them,
definitely there wasn't in WinPatrol's pay version, but some
offer to monitor a few system files like the Hosts file.
So apparently some of them have been repaired if they were
actually doing that. I think what you really meant was
realtime monitoring apps, but it hasn't been my experience
here at least. If one does use multiple realtime apps, it's
best to choose only one to monitor files anyway, like HOSTS,
etc., so you know for sure where to look if you need to kill
it for any reason. Some, like Winpatrol, alert you to the
changes and ask whether to allow them or not; I see it fairly
often when SpyBot, I think it is, wants to update the Hosts
file. I like the way WinPatrol works and its PLUS features to
check out suspicious files.

HTH,

Twayne`