IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url

Peter Dow

IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url
Suddenly a new problem with IE7 tonight.

When I click to a link to play a YouTube video - something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...........

the browser instance closes immediately. Likewise if I enter a fully formed
video url into the browser address bar - the browser closes.

It works OK if I go to a YouTube channel page
http://www.youtube.com/user/......
and play videos in the channel.

If I enter a malformed video url, it goes to the error page on YouTube as it
should.

No idea what this is. Have I picked up a weird browser virus? I did a
restart. Same problem, I did a restore, same problem, IE7 still crashes out.
I have not tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it as yet.

I am wondering if YouTube have done something to their
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........... pages to exit out IE7? That's not
very nice is it?

Anyway seeing anything similar?

Oh PLEASE don't suggest upgrading to IE8. I did that already but I
uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7.

I like my IE7 for many reasons. The cookies are independent between
different instances of the browser - which means I can test different users
logged into my forum for testing purposes etc.

There is not so much processor demands from IE7 so the scrolling is smoother
on my old 2003 era PC. IE8 claims to be "faster" but on a slow PC it is
slower.

No, no. I LIKE my IE7. So what has happened to YouTube video pages?

- Peter Dow
Aberdeen, Scotland

Peter Dow

RE: IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url
Well I did another restart and the problem has now gone. Most strange. lol

"Peter Dow" wrote:

> Suddenly a new problem with IE7 tonight.
>
> When I click to a link to play a YouTube video - something like
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...........
>
> the browser instance closes immediately. Likewise if I enter a fully formed
> video url into the browser address bar - the browser closes.
>
> It works OK if I go to a YouTube channel page
> http://www.youtube.com/user/......
> and play videos in the channel.
>
> If I enter a malformed video url, it goes to the error page on YouTube as it
> should.
>
> No idea what this is. Have I picked up a weird browser virus? I did a
> restart. Same problem, I did a restore, same problem, IE7 still crashes out.
> I have not tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it as yet.
>
> I am wondering if YouTube have done something to their
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........... pages to exit out IE7? That's not
> very nice is it?
>
> Anyway seeing anything similar?
>
> Oh PLEASE don't suggest upgrading to IE8. I did that already but I
> uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7.
>
> I like my IE7 for many reasons. The cookies are independent between
> different instances of the browser - which means I can test different users
> logged into my forum for testing purposes etc.
>
> There is not so much processor demands from IE7 so the scrolling is smoother
> on my old 2003 era PC. IE8 claims to be "faster" but on a slow PC it is
> slower.
>
> No, no. I LIKE my IE7. So what has happened to YouTube video pages?
>
> - Peter Dow
> Aberdeen, Scotland

Re: IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an
IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~PA Bear

Peter Dow wrote:
> Suddenly a new problem with IE7 tonight.
>
> When I click to a link to play a YouTube video - something like
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...........
>
> the browser instance closes immediately. Likewise if I enter a fully
> formed
> video url into the browser address bar - the browser closes.
>
> It works OK if I go to a YouTube channel page
> http://www.youtube.com/user/......
> and play videos in the channel.
>
> If I enter a malformed video url, it goes to the error page on YouTube as
> it
> should.
>
> No idea what this is. Have I picked up a weird browser virus? I did a
> restart. Same problem, I did a restore, same problem, IE7 still crashes
> out.
> I have not tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it as yet.
>
> I am wondering if YouTube have done something to their
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........... pages to exit out IE7? That's
> not
> very nice is it?
>
> Anyway seeing anything similar?
>
> Oh PLEASE don't suggest upgrading to IE8. I did that already but I
> uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7.
>
> I like my IE7 for many reasons. The cookies are independent between
> different instances of the browser - which means I can test different
> users
> logged into my forum for testing purposes etc.
>
> There is not so much processor demands from IE7 so the scrolling is
> smoother
> on my old 2003 era PC. IE8 claims to be "faster" but on a slow PC it is
> slower.
>
> No, no. I LIKE my IE7. So what has happened to YouTube video pages?
>
> - Peter Dow
> Aberdeen, Scotland

Peter Dow

Re: IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url
Oh PA Bear I am somewhat embarrassed to have put you to so much trouble as to
reply. I had intended to indicate in my own reply to my first posting here
that the matter had resolved itself as mysteriously as it had arrived.

But to answer your questions

1. Windows XP Home SP3 (very slightly hacked to get IIS running, which I
need to run my phpBB mod software on my PC. I'll know to get the professional
version next time.)

2. The behaviour is not persisting. Period. The problem has GONE. I am
happy. There is no pressing worry or need for you to advise further unless
you wish to.

3. McAfee SecurityCenter is installed and is current because it comes with
my ISP subscription. I did notice that when I did a restore (to try to clear
the above reported problem) there was a problem with McAfee which I could not
fix. But McAfee then seemed to download something and went right eventually
of its own accord. Also I noticed that an Update to IE7 which had happened
subsequent to the restore point was repeated after I did the restore.

4. The ISP used to provide Norton but switched to McAfee.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an
> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
> IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Peter Dow wrote:
> > Suddenly a new problem with IE7 tonight.
> >
> > When I click to a link to play a YouTube video - something like
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...........
> >
> > the browser instance closes immediately. Likewise if I enter a fully
> > formed
> > video url into the browser address bar - the browser closes.
> >
> > It works OK if I go to a YouTube channel page
> > http://www.youtube.com/user/......
> > and play videos in the channel.
> >
> > If I enter a malformed video url, it goes to the error page on YouTube as
> > it
> > should.
> >
> > No idea what this is. Have I picked up a weird browser virus? I did a
> > restart. Same problem, I did a restore, same problem, IE7 still crashes
> > out.
> > I have not tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it as yet.
> >
> > I am wondering if YouTube have done something to their
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=........... pages to exit out IE7? That's
> > not
> > very nice is it?
> >
> > Anyway seeing anything similar?
> >
> > Oh PLEASE don't suggest upgrading to IE8. I did that already but I
> > uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7.
> >
> > I like my IE7 for many reasons. The cookies are independent between
> > different instances of the browser - which means I can test different
> > users
> > logged into my forum for testing purposes etc.
> >
> > There is not so much processor demands from IE7 so the scrolling is
> > smoother
> > on my old 2003 era PC. IE8 claims to be "faster" but on a slow PC it is
> > slower.
> >
> > No, no. I LIKE my IE7. So what has happened to YouTube video pages?
> >
> > - Peter Dow
> > Aberdeen, Scotland

> .

Re: IE7 closes when I visit a YouTube video url
Are you a Comcast subsriber, Peter?

Did you download/run the Norton Removal Tool before you installed McAfee
Security Center?

Peter Dow wrote:
> Oh PA Bear I am somewhat embarrassed to have put you to so much trouble as
> to reply. I had intended to indicate in my own reply to my first posting
> here that the matter had resolved itself as mysteriously as it had
> arrived.
>
> But to answer your questions
>
> 1. Windows XP Home SP3 (very slightly hacked to get IIS running, which I
> need to run my phpBB mod software on my PC. I'll know to get the
> professional version next time.)
>
> 2. The behaviour is not persisting. Period. The problem has GONE. I am
> happy. There is no pressing worry or need for you to advise further unless
> you wish to.
>
> 3. McAfee SecurityCenter is installed and is current because it comes with
> my ISP subscription. I did notice that when I did a restore (to try to
> clear
> the above reported problem) there was a problem with McAfee which I could
> not fix. But McAfee then seemed to download something and went right
> eventually of its own accord. Also I noticed that an Update to IE7 which
> had happened subsequent to the restore point was repeated after I did the
> restore.
>
> 4. The ISP used to provide Norton but switched to McAfee.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in
>> an
>> IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> &
>> IE8 in all OSS]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Peter Dow wrote:
>>> Suddenly a new problem with IE7 tonight.
>>>
>>> When I click to a link to play a YouTube video - something like
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...........
>>>
>>> the browser instance closes immediately. Likewise if I enter a fully
>>> formed
>>> video url into the browser address bar - the browser closes.
>>>
>>> It works OK if I go to a YouTube channel page
>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/......
>>> and play videos in the channel.
>>>
>>> If I enter a malformed video url, it goes to the error page on YouTube
>>> as
>>> it