This tab has been recovered

Bill R

This tab has been recovered
I'm having trouble getting on to some web-sites. First I get a message "This site wants to install the following add-ons" [Garmin] which changes to "This tab has been recovered. a problem with the web page has caused IE to close and reopen tab". It then cycles through theses messages once more before getting a message

Running IE8 in 'no add-ons' mode I get a message inviting me to got to 'Manage Add-ons'. However, I can't see what to do next.

I have gone into MSConfig and disabled all service with no result.

Any suggestions how to get out of this problem please?

Thanks. Bill R
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: This tab has been recovered

I'm having trouble getting on to some web-sites. First I get a message "This site wants to install the following add-ons" [Garmin] which changes to "This tab has been recovered. a problem with the web page has caused IE to close and reopen tab". It then cycles through theses messages once more before getting a message
Evidently [Garmin] is incompatible with your OS and version of IE.
Running IE8 in 'no add-ons' mode I get a message inviting me to got to 'Manage Add-ons'. However, I can't see what to do next.
If you see [Garmin] in there I would remove it.
I have gone into MSConfig and disabled all service with no result.
Looks like you don't need whatever that was? ; )
Any suggestions how to get out of this problem please?

Thanks. Bill R

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: This tab has been recovered
What Robert Aldwinckle said, plus...

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]

WinXP & Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Win7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? WinXP & Vista: Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

"Bill R" <bill@compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:eGc7pvp0KHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
I'm having trouble getting on to some web-sites. First I get a message "This site wants to install the following add-ons" [Garmin] which changes to "This tab has been recovered. a problem with the web page has caused IE to close and reopen tab". It then cycles through theses messages once more before getting a message

Running IE8 in 'no add-ons' mode I get a message inviting me to got to 'Manage Add-ons'. However, I can't see what to do next.

I have gone into MSConfig and disabled all service with no result.

Any suggestions how to get out of this problem please?

Thanks. Bill R
Bill R

Re: This tab has been recovered
Thanks.

Firstly, the reference to Garmin was given only as an example of several we site with which I am experiencing the same problem.

Secondly I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 and fully patched up-to-date with IE8 again fully up-to-date.

1. I have started in IE8 No Add-ons with the same outcome,

2. I have used 'Fix this problem" (automatic not manual) but the problem persists.

3. I am running only Norton Internet Security 2010 fully up-to-date. It was installed and running in the background after installing IE8.

4. No other threat prevention software has ever run on this computer.

Regards.

Bill R
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OgzDuCs0KHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

Repost: 4. No other threat prevention software has ever run on this
computer

On reflection NIS2009 may have been installed for a short while. I have
also disabled smart firewall and Antivirus auto-protect but with no
improvement.

Bill R
[...]

Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not upgrading (or
uninstalling) cleanly.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

2. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key handy, uninstall
NIS 2010, LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons via Add/Remove Programs.

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall immediately after rebooting.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5. Double-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above to run the utility.
Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

6. Do a clean install of NIS 2010 using your Product ID & reboot:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...0514162 318EN

TIP: Do not enable or install any Norton Add-ons (e.g., Norton
Anti-Phishing) just yet.

7. Manually and repeatedly run (Norton) LiveUpdate until you get a "no more
updates" prompt.

8. Test.

Bill R wrote:
> [...]
> this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> "Bill R" <bill@compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble getting on to some web-sites. First I get a
> message "This site wants to install the following add-ons" [Garmin] which
> changes to "This tab has been recovered. a problem with the web page has
> caused IE to close and reopen tab". It then cycles through theses
> messages
> once more before getting a message
>
> Running IE8 in 'no add-ons' mode I get a message inviting me to got
> 'Manage Add-ons'. However, I can't see what to do next.
>
> I have gone into MSConfig and disabled all service with no result.
>
> Any suggestions how to get out of this problem please?

Twayne

Re: This tab has been recovered
This is a good writeup; I have a couple comments to add,
mostly to power down or unplug the phone cable/connection to
the net during the remove / reinstall.

In news:uAdyIwE1KHA.4548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:
> Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not
> upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly.

Nonsense; especially the lean, mean 2009/2010 versions.
Wise advice though, especially if it was downloaded and not
installed from a purchased CD.
If it's a downloaded version, it's also a good idea to check
the Hash figures to be sure it's complete and not corrupted.
Be sure to make a copy on another disk for future use. There
are instructions on the site about checking the Hash if you
need them.

> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your
> desktop:

But read closely: It will remove ALL Norton product, all in
one sweep, not just one.

> ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe
>
> 2. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with an icon
> on the taskbar).

Here it would be best to power down or disconnect your router,
modem, whatever, from the 'net so no outside communications
are possible. Then there is no way for a drive-by/whatever to
catch you when you're vulnerable from the 'net side, or for
any resident malware to call out.

> 3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key
> handy, uninstall NIS 2010, LiveUpdate and any Norton
> Add-ons via Add/Remove Programs.
> 4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall immediately
> after rebooting.

Better yet, disconnect from the internet side or power down
your modem, router, whatever you use. You'll have fewer
Security Center messages annoying you too when you do
reconnect.
If you do not disconnect, then be certain to enable the XP
Firewall.

> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING
> else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until
> you've completed Step #7 below!
> 5. Double-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above to
> run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
> completes, then reboot.
> 6. Do a clean install of NIS 2010 using your Product ID &
> reboot:
> http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...0514162 318EN
>
> TIP: Do not enable or install any Norton Add-ons (e.g.,
> Norton Anti-Phishing) just yet.

Reconnect to the internet; replug cables or power on your
modem as the case may be.

> 7. Manually and repeatedly run (Norton) LiveUpdate until
> you get a "no more updates" prompt.
>
> 8. Test.

9. Print this document for use duing the tasks described.

HTH,

Twayne`