Instant Messaging

Retired

Instant Messaging
I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

Jeff Strickland

Re: Instant Messaging
Right Click the icon and find the Preferences, and turn it off.

"Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
> popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
> thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

Retired

Re: Instant Messaging
Many thanks, Jeff. I'll do that.

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Right Click the icon and find the Preferences, and turn it off.
>

> "Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
>> popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
>> thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

Retired

Re: Instant Messaging
That was a good idea Jeff, but I can't seem to find an icon to right-click.
It shows up down at the bottom of the screen but I don't get the
"Preferences" option. What now, please?

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Right Click the icon and find the Preferences, and turn it off.
>

> "Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
>> popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
>> thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Instant Messaging

"Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
> popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
> thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

It may help to be more precise about your symptoms. E.g. what exactly are
you calling "Instant Messenger"? FYI you can use Task Manager to express
your observation in terms of the Image name of the program running the
window. E.g., open TM with Ctrl-Shift-Esc. Find an item in its
Applications tab which would represent the message window you are
complaining about. Right-click on that and choose Go To Process. Now post
back with the program name of your "Instant Messenger". Also, since your
OS is W7 you can get even more detail than that with either the Command line
column or the Image Path Name column in whatever row in the Processes tab
that you find selected by that Go To Process command.

FWIW in XP I had something called Windows Messenger that I always disabled
by disabling its ActiveX extension with Manage Add-ons. Unfortunately I
can't remember its exact name. I don't see any sign of that in W7 though.
I suppose it might be something that is now optional... doesn't look like
it. Then the only other (MS) possibility that I am aware of is Windows
Live Messenger which definitely is an optional install. And it looks as
if there is another ActiveX extension associated with it, so probably it
could be controlled in the same way that I used to control Windows
Messenger. It's not obvious which "Windows Live" extension it is. I
only see them differentiated when I click on the More Information button.
So specifically, I'm referring to the one for File: msnmsgr.exe which
happens to be first in the sort order that I am using with Manage Add-ons.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Retired

Re: Instant Messaging
Good response, Bob. I guess I didn't realize that there is more than one
Instant Messenger from Microsoft. I found it in "Task Manager" but not in
"Manage Add-Ons".

The program is Windows Live Messenger (msnmsgr,exe). I found a way to
delete it, which I'd just as soon not do, but no place to turn it off.

> "Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Win7 and IE8. While on the internet, Instant Messenger keeps
>> popping up and interfering with the net operation. How can I turn the IM
>> thing off permanently? Never use it anyway.

> It may help to be more precise about your symptoms. E.g. what exactly
> are you calling "Instant Messenger"? FYI you can use Task Manager to
> express your observation in terms of the Image name of the program running
> the window. E.g., open TM with Ctrl-Shift-Esc. Find an item in its
> Applications tab which would represent the message window you are
> complaining about. Right-click on that and choose Go To Process. Now
> post back with the program name of your "Instant Messenger". Also, since
> your OS is W7 you can get even more detail than that with either the
> Command line column or the Image Path Name column in whatever row in the
> Processes tab that you find selected by that Go To Process command.
>
> FWIW in XP I had something called Windows Messenger that I always disabled
> by disabling its ActiveX extension with Manage Add-ons. Unfortunately I
> can't remember its exact name. I don't see any sign of that in W7
> though. I suppose it might be something that is now optional... doesn't
> look like it. Then the only other (MS) possibility that I am aware of is
> Windows Live Messenger which definitely is an optional install. And it
> looks as if there is another ActiveX extension associated with it, so
> probably it could be controlled in the same way that I used to control
> Windows Messenger. It's not obvious which "Windows Live" extension it
> is. I only see them differentiated when I click on the More Information
> button. So specifically, I'm referring to the one for File: msnmsgr.exe
> which happens to be first in the sort order that I am using with Manage
> Add-ons.
>

> FYI
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Re: Instant Messaging
You will find support for Windows Live Messenger in this newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...ve.mess enger

....via your newsreader:

Windows Live Messenger Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=2

Retired wrote:
> Good response, Bob. I guess I didn't realize that there is more than one
> Instant Messenger from Microsoft. I found it in "Task Manager" but not in
> "Manage Add-Ons".
>
> The program is Windows Live Messenger (msnmsgr,exe). I found a way to
> delete it, which I'd just as soon not do, but no place to turn it off....

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Instant Messaging

> Good response, Bob. I guess I didn't realize that there is more than one
> Instant Messenger from Microsoft. I found it in "Task Manager" but not in
> "Manage Add-Ons".

If it wasn't loaded you would have to use the Show: All Add-ons option
and as I mentioned you would first have to find an item called Windows Live
and then click on More information to know which one you were looking at.
BTW, today, with my list ordered by Name, the one for msnmsgr.exe is
second. YMMV.

Robert
---