Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express

Ethan Winer

Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
At YouTube's urging I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 from IE6 to IE8. Now
when I try to view an attached JPG or GIF file in Outlook Express 6,
nothing happens. The file associations are still set to Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer, and double-clicking a JPG or GIF file from
Windows Explorer still works. But the association is ignored in OE6.
Nothing I have tried so far has fixed this. Before I uninstall IE8, is
there a known fix for this bug?

--Ethan

Re: Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
Is IE8 configured as your default Browser?

Why isn't WinXP SP3 installed yet?

. About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

. Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After
that date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

. What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

it)?

Ethan Winer wrote:
> At YouTube's urging I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 from IE6 to IE8. Now
> when I try to view an attached JPG or GIF file in Outlook Express 6,
> nothing happens. The file associations are still set to Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer, and double-clicking a JPG or GIF file from
> Windows Explorer still works. But the association is ignored in OE6.
> Nothing I have tried so far has fixed this. Before I uninstall IE8, is
> there a known fix for this bug?
>
> --Ethan

Ethan Winer

Re: Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
Thanks for replying Robear.

> Is IE8 configured as your default Browser?

No, I use Firefox as my default, with no ActiveX or any other plug-
ins. This way I can browse anywhere safely. When I need to go to
YouTube etc I launch IE manually.

> Why isn't WinXP SP3 installed yet?

I believe in "If it ain't broke don't fix it," and other than this new
problem my system works perfectly. My PC is finely tuned for editing
audio and video, with all unneeded background programs disabled.

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

I don't have any such software running or even installed. I'm behind a
hardware firewall, so between the firewall and no plug-ins in Firefox,
I'm very safe with no anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

Note that all other attachments seem to open okay. It's only JPG and
GIF files that are ignored.

If I change the default program for viewing JPG and GIF files to be
IE8, then I can view images from within OE. But I don't want to use IE
to view images because I rely on the ability of Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer to easily resize using the mouse scroll wheel. I often get
very large photos from people unskilled in photo editing, so it's
convenient to view them with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer since it
resizes images automatically.

Thanks again for any advice you might have.

--Ethan

Re: Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
> I believe in "If it ain't broke don't fix it," and other than this new
> problem my system works perfectly [without SP3 installed]...
> I'm very safe with no anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

Uh-huh...

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Risks & Benefits of P2P file sharing
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/dat...lesharing.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...-software.aspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

Repost: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After

--
~PA Bear

Ethan Winer wrote:
> Thanks for replying Robear.
>
>> Is IE8 configured as your default Browser?

> No, I use Firefox as my default, with no ActiveX or any other plug-
> ins. This way I can browse anywhere safely. When I need to go to
> YouTube etc I launch IE manually.
>
>> Why isn't WinXP SP3 installed yet?

> I believe in "If it ain't broke don't fix it," and other than this new
> problem my system works perfectly. My PC is finely tuned for editing
> audio and video, with all unneeded background programs disabled.

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

> I don't have any such software running or even installed. I'm behind a
> hardware firewall, so between the firewall and no plug-ins in Firefox,
> I'm very safe with no anti-virus or anti-spyware software.
>
> Note that all other attachments seem to open okay. It's only JPG and
> GIF files that are ignored.
>
> If I change the default program for viewing JPG and GIF files to be
> IE8, then I can view images from within OE. But I don't want to use IE
> to view images because I rely on the ability of Windows Picture and
> Fax Viewer to easily resize using the mouse scroll wheel. I often get
> very large photos from people unskilled in photo editing, so it's
> convenient to view them with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer since it
> resizes images automatically.
>
> Thanks again for any advice you might have.
>
> --Ethan

Robert Aldwinckle

"Ethan Winer" <blow_166@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> At YouTube's urging I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 from IE6 to IE8. Now
> when I try to view an attached JPG or GIF file in Outlook Express 6,
> nothing happens.

Details? Attached how? Hint: use Ctrl-F3 to check.

Can you drag the attachments to an already opened viewer and have them
rendered then?

BTW .jpg and .gif could be rendered by IE instead. .tif can't be
rendered by IE in XP.

> The file associations are still set to Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer, and double-clicking a JPG or GIF file from
> Windows Explorer still works. But the association is ignored in OE6.

> Nothing I have tried so far has fixed this. Before I uninstall IE8, is
> there a known fix for this bug?

What bug? IMO you don't know enough yet about your symptoms. You could
use ProcMon to try to see what is happening.

FWIW I think you have some non-standard file type associations, so you could
try changing them to defaults. E.g. I would try Run...

regsvr32.exe /n /i ieframe.dll

to do that.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Ethan Winer

Re: Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not going to do a full install of
Windows just for this. However, I could restore using the Ghost backup
image I made a few months ago. My C: partition has only Windows and
programs, no data, so a full restore is fast and painless. But
amazingly, today image attachments open correctly. Go figure.

Robert, by "attached" I mean images attached manually in the same way
a Word doc or Zip file would be attached to an email. I have OE set to
display all emails as plain text unless I hit Alt-Shift-H to display
as HTML. I can use Alt-Shift-H to view images attached to a non-HTML
email, but if the images are very large they extend off the screen
which is a nuisance to use the scroll bars.

--Ethan
Robert Aldwinckle

> Robert, by "attached" I mean images attached manually in the same way
> a Word doc or Zip file would be attached to an email. I have OE set to
> display all emails as plain text

which is when you could drag attachments to accepting apps.

---

AntiDuck is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 from IE6 to IE8. Now
when I try to view an attached JPG or GIF file in Outlook Express 6,
Extactly, I have the same story (found this page through search engines).

References to Firewall / Antivirus problem are fake, since right
after uninstalling IE8 - problem disappears, and things work perfectly.

Other solution is to install Windows Live Mail (next generation of Outlook Express) - it would allow to save embedded image attachments again.

Right now, I'm developing this regsrv method, yet I don't know which exact DLL I had to _change_ in order to make Outlook Express to work with IE8.

I believe I can ruin functionality of IE8 / Windows XP itself, if I do anything wrong, so I better look for more answers here (if any).

Comment on process explorer was good, I haven't thought about - maybe if I compare what Outlook Express is using when saving a picture w/o IE8, and what's - WITH IE8 - I can find this problem DLL and try to replace it.