IE 8 setup prompts?

Linn Kubler

IE 8 setup prompts?
Hi,

I'm rolling out a few new computers to my staff and have noticed an annoying
issue with IE 8. The first time a user logs into a computer and launches IE
they are confronted by a welcome screen which makes them go through a wizard
and select a number of settings. Most of my users are not very literate
when it comes to computers and they don't understand these questions, heck,
I don't even know what they mean really.

Isn't it possible to have a default IE configuration that everyone gets so
the users don't have to be bothered with these questions? If so, how?

Oh, these are Windows XP Pro sp3 computers.

Thanks in advance,
Linn

Linn Kubler

Re: IE 8 setup prompts?
Follow up... I forgot to ask how to set the search provider and remove
default providers, ie. bing, in the list of providers for each new user too.

Thanks,
Linn

"Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm rolling out a few new computers to my staff and have noticed an
> annoying issue with IE 8. The first time a user logs into a computer and
> launches IE they are confronted by a welcome screen which makes them go
> through a wizard and select a number of settings. Most of my users are
> not very literate when it comes to computers and they don't understand
> these questions, heck, I don't even know what they mean really.
>
> Isn't it possible to have a default IE configuration that everyone gets so
> the users don't have to be bothered with these questions? If so, how?
>
> Oh, these are Windows XP Pro sp3 computers.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Linn

Re: IE 8 setup prompts?
See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx &
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-24b2790bf592

Linn Kubler wrote:
> Follow up... I forgot to ask how to set the search provider and remove
> default providers, ie. bing, in the list of providers for each new user
> too.
>
>> I'm rolling out a few new computers to my staff and have noticed an
>> annoying issue with IE 8. The first time a user logs into a computer and
>> launches IE they are confronted by a welcome screen which makes them go
>> through a wizard and select a number of settings. Most of my users are
>> not very literate when it comes to computers and they don't understand
>> these questions, heck, I don't even know what they mean really.
>>
>> Isn't it possible to have a default IE configuration that everyone gets
>> so
>> the users don't have to be bothered with these questions? If so, how?
>>
>> Oh, these are Windows XP Pro sp3 computers.

Linn Kubler

Re: IE 8 setup prompts?
Robear,

Thanks for the information. I've already downloaded the IEAK and worked up
my installation package but it doesn't seem to help. The branding
custimizations I added took but it still goes through the first time user
setup. I've tried looking at the group policy information but it's kind of
over whelming and I'm just getting lost. Too many options.

If you have any more specific help to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Linn

> See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx &
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-24b2790bf592
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Linn Kubler wrote:
>> Follow up... I forgot to ask how to set the search provider and remove
>> default providers, ie. bing, in the list of providers for each new user
>> too.
>>
>>> I'm rolling out a few new computers to my staff and have noticed an
>>> annoying issue with IE 8. The first time a user logs into a computer
>>> and
>>> launches IE they are confronted by a welcome screen which makes them go
>>> through a wizard and select a number of settings. Most of my users are
>>> not very literate when it comes to computers and they don't understand
>>> these questions, heck, I don't even know what they mean really.
>>>
>>> Isn't it possible to have a default IE configuration that everyone gets
>>> so
>>> the users don't have to be bothered with these questions? If so, how?
>>>
>>> Oh, these are Windows XP Pro sp3 computers.

Re: IE 8 setup prompts?
You'd probably be much better off posting in one of the ITPro forums, Linn:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...indowsxpitpro/

We're basically consumer-oriented here.

Linn Kubler wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I've already downloaded the IEAK and worked
> up
> my installation package but it doesn't seem to help. The branding
> custimizations I added took but it still goes through the first time user
> setup. I've tried looking at the group policy information but it's kind
> of
> over whelming and I'm just getting lost. Too many options.
>
> If you have any more specific help to offer it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>> See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx &
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-24b2790bf592
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Linn Kubler wrote:
>>> Follow up... I forgot to ask how to set the search provider and remove
>>> default providers, ie. bing, in the list of providers for each new user
>>> too.

Linn Kubler

Re: IE 8 setup prompts?
Unfortunately these are the only forums provided by MS for Internet
Explorer, at least I can't find any for IE on XP on the technet site.