IE6 security fix of March 30

HenriK

IE6 security fix of March 30
I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.

Is there a security fix for this combination?

Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still supported.
It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer supported,
there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.

Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE6 security fix of March 30
"Is there a security fix for this combination?"

Windows 7
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

HenriK wrote:
> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>
> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>
> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still supported.
> It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer supported,
> there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

Re: IE6 security fix of March 30
No, IE6 running in Win9x hasn't been supported since July 2006.

See the section "I am using an older release of the software discussed in
this security bulletin. What should I do?" in the FAQ of
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS10-018.mspx.

HenriK wrote:
> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>
> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>
> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still supported.
> It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer supported,
> there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

HenriK

Re: IE6 security fix of March 30
But, Windows 7 won't run on lots of older hardware (including the PC I
run W98SE on) or run older programs (which is why I still use W98SE). I
suspect I am not the only user with these problems.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> "Is there a security fix for this combination?"
>
> Windows 7
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> HenriK wrote:
>> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>>
>> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>>
>> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still
>> supported. It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer
>> supported, there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

Re: IE6 security fix of March 30
Nor will 99.9% of anti-virus applications!

HenriK wrote:
> But, Windows 7 won't run on lots of older hardware (including the PC I
> run W98SE on) or run older programs (which is why I still use W98SE). I
> suspect I am not the only user with these problems.
>
> Leonard Grey wrote:
>> "Is there a security fix for this combination?"
>>
>> Windows 7
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> HenriK wrote:
>>> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>>>
>>> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>>>
>>> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still
>>> supported. It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer
>>> supported, there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>>>
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

Tom Willett

Re: IE6 security fix of March 30
That's why people buy new computers.

: Leonard Grey wrote:
: > "Is there a security fix for this combination?"
: >
: > Windows 7
: > ---
: > Leonard Grey
: > Errare humanum est
: >
: > HenriK wrote:
: >> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
: >>

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nor will 99.9% of anti-virus applications!

.... or 99.8% of viruses...
Roger

On 3/31/2010 10:47 AM, HenriK wrote:
> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>
> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>
> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still supported.
> It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer supported,
> there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

If you have an old OS running on a old computer then your best choice is
to download and install Firefox, Chrome, Safari for Windows, or Opera.

http://www.ie6nomore.com/

G. R. Woodring

Date: 4/2/2010 8:52 PM, Author: Roger Wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 10:47 AM, HenriK wrote:
>> I am running IE6 SP1 under W98SE on an older computer.
>>
>> Is there a security fix for this combination?
>>
>> Microsoft induced a lot of us to go to IE6 SP1 which is still supported.
>> It would seem to me that, even though W98SE is no longer supported,
>> there should be an appropriate IE6 SP1 fix regardless.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any information or guidance on what to do.

> If you have an old OS running on a old computer then your best choice is
> to download and install Firefox, Chrome, Safari for Windows, or Opera.
>
> http://www.ie6nomore.com/

I can't say about Chrome, Safari or Opera but no currently supported version of
Firefox will run on Win98 either. There may be hacks or workarounds but IMO you are
just putting off the inevitable.

--
G. R. Woodring