Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Saving Web Page Issue

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010
David
 

Posts: n/a
Saving Web Page Issue
When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also Firefox 3.6)
will create a "_files" directory and store the images, css and js files in
that directory.

However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source code is NOT
modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It appears to maintain
the original directory on the server for images, css, and js files.

Questions:

1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
2) If so can it be corrected and how?
3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to why the link in
the html source is not being changed?
4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case) that
will correct this?
5) Is there any other solution?

Thanks
David


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010
Nathan Sokalski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving Web Page Issue
The reason it does not modify the *.htm, *.html, or whatever extension it
gets saved with, file is for several reasons:

1. The purpose of the _files directory is primarily for cache, so in the
browser's mind, there is not need to modify the source code.
2. The save function simply copies the file from the location the browser
put it when you viewed it to whatever location you are now specifying; no
parsing is actually done during the save process, and therefore the browser
does not actually look at the text in the file.
3. Because many images, css, and js files are dynamically generated (in the
*.htm, *.html, *.aspx, etc. file it doesn't actually end with *.gif, *.jpg,
*.css, *.js, etc.), looking at the html code might make it hard for the
browser to figure out what to do.

If you really want to have a copy of a page that is completely local to your
machine, I would suggest that you edit the source code yourself, it's not
that hard, especially if you have any basic html editor (or even that hard
without one using Notepad if you've ever even touched html before).
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"David" <NoWhere@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:OJhqVAtzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also Firefox 3.6)
> will create a "_files" directory and store the images, css and js files in
> that directory.
>
> However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source code is NOT
> modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It appears to maintain
> the original directory on the server for images, css, and js files.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
> 2) If so can it be corrected and how?
> 3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to why the link
> in the html source is not being changed?
> 4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case) that
> will correct this?
> 5) Is there any other solution?
>
> Thanks
> David
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving Web Page Issue

"David" <NoWhere@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:OJhqVAtzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also Firefox 3.6)
> will create a "_files" directory and store the images, css and js files in
> that directory.
>
> However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source code is NOT
> modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It appears to maintain
> the original directory on the server for images, css, and js files.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
> 2) If so can it be corrected and how?
> 3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to why the link
> in the html source is not being changed?
> 4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case) that
> will correct this?


> 5) Is there any other solution?


WinHTTrack

http://www.httrack.com/page/1/en/index.html

"It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a
local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images,
and other files from the server to your computer.

HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a
page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site
from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update
an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is
fully configurable, and has an integrated help system."

Donald Anadell


>
> Thanks
> David
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010
David
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving Web Page Issue
Mr. Sokalski:

Thanks for the explanation and your time. Some followup questons if I
may.

1)

If the browser(s) -- IE or Firefox in this case -- is creating the "_files"
directrory as a cache directory
(which makes perfect sense), if the html source does not not include this
reference, how does the browser know where to find the "cached files" -- so
they can be displayed -- when the page is downloaded onto the client
machine?

2)
Why would the source on some webpages contain the "_files" directory
reference and others not
-- unless -- the html downloaded to the client was hard coded this way?

3)
Curious as to where you found this info, as searched everything I could
thing on net and came up with zippo,
even MSDN. Any link or reference to explain -- in detail -- how the
browser handles this would be appreciated?

4)
------------------
> If you really want to have a copy of a page that is completely local to
> your machine, I would suggest that you edit the source code yourself

-----------------

This is what I've been doing. Sometimes an easy fix, other times not.
Will write a parsing routine to automate --if possible, but need to
understand how the browser is handling this first.

David


"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:24DE1E95-7ABB-461C-A924-3D5C4C1E2D2B@microsoft.com...
> The reason it does not modify the *.htm, *.html, or whatever extension it
> gets saved with, file is for several reasons:
>
> 1. The purpose of the _files directory is primarily for cache, so in the
> browser's mind, there is not need to modify the source code.
> 2. The save function simply copies the file from the location the browser
> put it when you viewed it to whatever location you are now specifying; no
> parsing is actually done during the save process, and therefore the
> browser does not actually look at the text in the file.
> 3. Because many images, css, and js files are dynamically generated (in
> the *.htm, *.html, *.aspx, etc. file it doesn't actually end with *.gif,
> *.jpg, *.css, *.js, etc.), looking at the html code might make it hard for
> the browser to figure out what to do.
>
> If you really want to have a copy of a page that is completely local to
> your machine, I would suggest that you edit the source code yourself, it's
> not that hard, especially if you have any basic html editor (or even that
> hard without one using Notepad if you've ever even touched html before).
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "David" <NoWhere@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:OJhqVAtzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also Firefox 3.6)
>> will create a "_files" directory and store the images, css and js files
>> in that directory.
>>
>> However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source code is NOT
>> modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It appears to maintain
>> the original directory on the server for images, css, and js files.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
>> 2) If so can it be corrected and how?
>> 3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to why the link
>> in the html source is not being changed?
>> 4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case) that
>> will correct this?
>> 5) Is there any other solution?
>>
>> Thanks
>> David
>>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010
David
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving Web Page Issue
Thanks

Didn't know there was anything in GPL I could look at.

David

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
news:%23Fpaz0zzKHA.6112@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "David" <NoWhere@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:OJhqVAtzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also Firefox 3.6)
>> will create a "_files" directory and store the images, css and js files
>> in that directory.
>>
>> However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source code is NOT
>> modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It appears to maintain
>> the original directory on the server for images, css, and js files.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
>> 2) If so can it be corrected and how?
>> 3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to why the link
>> in the html source is not being changed?
>> 4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case) that
>> will correct this?

>
>> 5) Is there any other solution?

>
> WinHTTrack
>
> http://www.httrack.com/page/1/en/index.html
>
> "It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a
> local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML,
> images, and other files from the server to your computer.
>
> HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open
> a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the
> site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also
> update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads.
> HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system."
>
> Donald Anadell
>
>
>>
>> Thanks
>> David
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010
Twayne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving Web Page Issue
In news:OJhqVAtzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
David <NoWhere@earthlink.net> typed:
> When saving a web page, IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3 (and also
> Firefox 3.6) will create a "_files" directory and store the
> images, css and js files in that directory.
>
> However, -- more often than not -- the htm or html source
> code is NOT modified to reflect the "_files" directory. It
> appears to maintain the original directory on the server for
> images, css, and
> js files.
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is this a function of IE (and/or firefox)?
> 2) If so can it be corrected and how?
> 3) If not why, can you please provide an explanation as to
> why the link in the html source is not being changed?
> 4) Is there any setting I can set in XP (pro in this case)
> that will correct this?
> 5) Is there any other solution?
>
> Thanks
> David


Not certain, but the one time I looked at that, I think it
turned out to be whether the original code used Relative or
Direct links. If Relative, they'll work on your computer. If
not relative, then clicking the links or displaying images
etc. might result in an attempt to retrieve them from the
original web site or nothing, depending again on coding sytles
and what you've set your firewall to prevent.

HTH,

Twayne`


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE8 Page load issue rclarue microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 8 07-24-2009 15:49
problem saving a web page inenewbl microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 10-21-2008 13:28
Re: IE7 Saving Setting Issue Joel Finkel microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 07-07-2008 15:52
Page font and other odd issue donnadw microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 04-16-2008 15:32
Saving image from web page to documents Heather microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 08-17-2007 16:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:38.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120