Battle of the browsers

5tulips

Battle of the browsers
Windows XP Pro SP2
Internet Explorer 7

Last year and the year before that, I downloaded three other browsers to
proof my websites. Each time I chose a different browser to proof, I had to
give my permission to let the one I chose be the default. That was
reassuring and very polite.

I noticed recently that the question is no longer being asked. Does anyone
know why?

G. R. Woodring

Re: Battle of the browsers

Date: 3/28/2010 5:22 PM, Author: 5tulips Wrote:
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Internet Explorer 7
>
> Last year and the year before that, I downloaded three other browsers to
> proof my websites. Each time I chose a different browser to proof, I had to
> give my permission to let the one I chose be the default. That was
> reassuring and very polite.
>
> I noticed recently that the question is no longer being asked. Does anyone
> know why?

In Internet Explorer: [Tools]>[Internet Options], "Programs" tab, in the Default web
browser block check [X] Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default web browser.

In Firefox: [Tools]>[Options]>[Advanced], "General" tab, in System Defaults block
check [X} Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup.

Most other browsers will be similar.

At some point you (or another user) has selected to stop asking. IMO it is best to
set one browser as default and disable those prompts. Choose the browser that best
meets you daily needs.

A browser doesn't need to be the default to work. Just open the HTML file with every
browser (double-click for default browser and right-click, Open With... for the
others). Open the file with your editor, edit and save, then just go to each browser
and refresh to see the effect of your changes.

--
G. R. Woodring
rob^_^

Re: Battle of the browsers
Tools>Internet Options - Programs tab, check "Tell me if Internet Explorer
is not the default web browser"

Regards.

"5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Internet Explorer 7
>
> Last year and the year before that, I downloaded three other browsers to
> proof my websites. Each time I chose a different browser to proof, I had
> give my permission to let the one I chose be the default. That was
> reassuring and very polite.
>
> I noticed recently that the question is no longer being asked. Does anyone
> know why?

5tulips

Re: Battle of the browsers
Glad I asked. This is a busy computer and apparently I didn't examine all my
tools yet. So I'm finally doing my homework. thanks.

5 tulips

: Tools>Internet Options - Programs tab, check "Tell me if Internet Explorer
: is not the default web browser"
:
: Regards.
:
: "5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:exhRbyrzKHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
: > Windows XP Pro SP2
: > Internet Explorer 7
: >
: > Last year and the year before that, I downloaded three other browsers to
: > proof my websites. Each time I chose a different browser to proof, I had
: > give my permission to let the one I chose be the default. That was
: > reassuring and very polite.
: >
: > I noticed recently that the question is no longer being asked. Does
anyone
: > know why?
: >
: >
: >

Jeff Strickland

Re: Battle of the browsers

"5tulips" <5tulips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Internet Explorer 7
>
> Last year and the year before that, I downloaded three other browsers to
> proof my websites. Each time I chose a different browser to proof, I had
> give my permission to let the one I chose be the default. That was
> reassuring and very polite.
>
> I noticed recently that the question is no longer being asked. Does anyone
> know why?

There is a checkbox where you said, Don't ask again.

The default browser will be used when you click a link in an e-mail, for
example. You can open any browser at any time, and it checks to see if it is
the default, until you selected the checkbox that said, Don't make this
check again.

You can go into Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options>Advanced, and change
the file association to set the default where you want it. I'm not certain,
but I think you can make it ask for the default everytime.