Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?

Seawolf

Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:

1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is ever found.

2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried all of the
solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.

3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not exit until you
click on one of the tabs, usually the one that is flashing a different
color.

Any ideas?

Seawolf

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
Did you format the HDD prior to this "fresh install?"

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ernet-Explorer

<canned>
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?
</canned>

Seawolf wrote:
> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:
>
> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is ever found.
>
> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried all of the
> solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.
>
> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not exit until you
> click on one of the tabs, usually the one that is flashing a different
> color.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Seawolf

Twayne

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
In news:0B37E168-2052-43FC-BE43-9D49565F2827@microsoft.com,
Seawolf <seawolf671@verizon.net> typed:
> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:
>
> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is
> ever found.
> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried
> all of the solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.
>
> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not
> exit until you click on one of the tabs, usually the one
> that is flashing a different color.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Seawolf

I haven't seen those problems before on here that I've noticed
and am not useing win7. Well, I have seen a couple like them,
but poorly stated problems and with lost of missing
information, leaving responders to guess at possible
solutions.
At any rate, have you tried starting IE without addons?
Even if you haven't applied any, it still came with some. Does
it help?

Then I'd start by uninstalling IE8, especially if you loaded
it from one of the updates, and reinstall it, using a freshly
downloaded version of it.

If that didn't help anything, then I'd seriously consider the
possibility of an OS file corruption and try re-imaging the
operating system to a time prior to the first install of IE8,
get a fresh download of IE8, check the hash on it, and install
it.

Have you run chkdsk on the boot drive?
Checked Event Viewer for any related errors?
Checked your firewall logs?
Those are all reasonably quick to do and make for good
first steps.

HTH,

Twayne`

Twayne

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
Learn how to crosspost and help yourself and others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_posting
and

Twayne`

In news:0B37E168-2052-43FC-BE43-9D49565F2827@microsoft.com,
Seawolf <seawolf671@verizon.net> typed:
> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:
>
> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is
> ever found.
> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried
> all of the solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.
>
> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not
> exit until you click on one of the tabs, usually the one
> that is flashing a different color.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Seawolf

rob^_^

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
Hi Twayne,

You can't downgrade to IE7 or 6 on Win7. You can turn IE8 off as your
default browser and use a browser of your choice though.

Regards.

"Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Learn how to crosspost and help yourself and others:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_posting
> and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> Twayne`
>

> In news:0B37E168-2052-43FC-BE43-9D49565F2827@microsoft.com,
> Seawolf <seawolf671@verizon.net> typed:
>> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:
>>
>> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is
>> ever found.
>> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried
>> all of the solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.
>>
>> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not
>> exit until you click on one of the tabs, usually the one
>> that is flashing a different color.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Seawolf

Seawolf

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
PA Bear, yes I did format the HDD prior to the fresh install. I'll try to
answer your questions in the order you asked them:

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

That was the first thing I tried. Worked for a while then same problems
started reoccurring.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-settingsThis was the second thing I tried and like the before, it worked for a whilebefore the problems gradually reappeared. 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is yoursubscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications runningin the background when you installed IE8?I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Defender. No otheranti-virus or security suite has ever been used. The only other firewall Iuse is the firewall in the router. 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this >machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought >it)?I did not buy this machine. I built it from scratch. It is the 4th machineI have built from scratch. Neither Norton nor McAfee has ever been on thismachine nor has any of their other programs been installed on this machine.Prior to Win7 and MS Security Essentials, I used MS One Care.I did not have these problems when I ran Win XP Pro and IE 7.Seawolf"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:uKaftMDzKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl. ..> Did you format the HDD prior to this "fresh install?">> Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer>> <canned>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | InternetExplorer (No add-ons).>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7& IE8 in all OSS]> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is yoursubscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications runningin the background when you installed IE8?>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on thismachine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you boughtit)?> </canned>>> Seawolf wrote:>> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit. Problems with IE8:>>>> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No solution is ever found.>>>> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I tried all of the>> solutions from the knowledge base with no luck.>>>> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not exit until you>> click on one of the tabs, usually the one that is flashing a different>> color.>>>> Any ideas?>>>> Seawolf>

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
I dunno what WLMail (or you) did to the formatting in your last reply but I
can't make sense of it so I can't be of any further assistance to you. That
being said, I will say...

As MSE includes Defender's functionality, installing MSE disables Defender
by default so technically speaking, you are not using "Microsoft Security
Essentials along with Defender."

Referencing other computers (and applications installed on them) is not
helpful when trying to help you with a problem on a specific computer.

Seawolf wrote:
> [...]
> yoursubscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications runningin the background when you installed IE8?>> 4. Has
> a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on thismachine
> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you boughtit)?>
> </canned>>> Seawolf wrote:>> New, fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit.
> Problems with IE8:>>>> 1. "Internet Explorer has stopped working." No
> solution is ever found.>>>> 2. "Internet Explorer cannot display the
> webpage." I tried all of the>> solutions from the knowledge base with no
> luck.>>>> 3. When exiting IE8 with more than 1 tab open, it will not exit
> until you>> click on one of the tabs, usually the one that is flashing a
> different>> color.>>>> Any ideas?>>>> Seawolf>

Re: Why is MS working on IE9 when IE8 is so bad?
Still no good (as you can see.)

Try replying to my first reply to your thread again, this time use HTML format (and disable the Community feechur beforehand).