Edit With is wrong on IE 8

JordanN

Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Our company recently upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8. We save a lot of office
documents to HTML for the intranet. A lot of times people want to extract
some of the content for this, that or the other thing and have always chosen
to "Edit With" or click the application icon and the program that created
the documents would open. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

Now in IE 8 it seems the only Edit With option appears to be the default
editor from the IE options. The default now is Word however I can change it
to Excel, PP or whatever, but I don't want to have to do it every time. Is
there a setting that says edit with the app that created it?

rob^_^

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Hi Jordan,

You use Group Policy and/or IEAK Profile assistant to set this corporate
wide setting.

Regards.

"JordanN" <none@here.com> wrote in message
> Our company recently upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8. We save a lot of office
> documents to HTML for the intranet. A lot of times people want to extract
> some of the content for this, that or the other thing and have always
> chosen to "Edit With" or click the application icon and the program that
> created the documents would open. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
>
> Now in IE 8 it seems the only Edit With option appears to be the default
> editor from the IE options. The default now is Word however I can change
> it to Excel, PP or whatever, but I don't want to have to do it every time.
> Is there a setting that says edit with the app that created it?

JordanN

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
What setting? Is there one that says use program X or is there a setting
that says use the program it was created with?

> Hi Jordan,
>
> You use Group Policy and/or IEAK Profile assistant to set this corporate
> wide setting.
>
> Regards.
>
> "JordanN" <none@here.com> wrote in message
>> Our company recently upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8. We save a lot of office
>> documents to HTML for the intranet. A lot of times people want to
>> extract some of the content for this, that or the other thing and have
>> always chosen to "Edit With" or click the application icon and the
>> program that created the documents would open. Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
>> etc.
>>
>> Now in IE 8 it seems the only Edit With option appears to be the default
>> editor from the IE options. The default now is Word however I can change
>> it to Excel, PP or whatever, but I don't want to have to do it every
>> time. Is there a setting that says edit with the app that created it?

rob^_^

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Start>Run>GPEdit.msc
User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer Maintenance>Programs

This will import the current user's program tab settings to a .ins file in
the system32\Policies folder.

You can then edit that ins file and change them to whatever.... then (I
think) you can use the user Profile at client startup to push a copy of that
ins file to your client workstations... not too sure about that... Not a
admin).

Here is the link to the IE8 Readiness toolkit where stipstreaming is
described.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ss/it-pro.aspx

Web search
http://www.google.com/search?q=slipstreaming IE8

I mostly see slipsteam custom builds in the wild. It allows admin to quickly
rollout fixes by just re-installing from an image on a server.

In the deployment folder for your image you should see some .ins files. They
will contain customizable settings for your client installations of IE.

> What setting? Is there one that says use program X or is there a setting
> that says use the program it was created with?
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> You use Group Policy and/or IEAK Profile assistant to set this corporate
>> wide setting.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "JordanN" <none@here.com> wrote in message
>>> Our company recently upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8. We save a lot of
>>> office documents to HTML for the intranet. A lot of times people want
>>> to extract some of the content for this, that or the other thing and
>>> have always chosen to "Edit With" or click the application icon and the
>>> program that created the documents would open. Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Now in IE 8 it seems the only Edit With option appears to be the default
>>> editor from the IE options. The default now is Word however I can
>>> change it to Excel, PP or whatever, but I don't want to have to do it
>>> every time. Is there a setting that says edit with the app that created
>>> it?

Jordan

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Thanks again rob, but this is a little less functionality than we had in IE6

On our intranet site we have Excel, Word, and PowerPoint documents that are
saved as HTML files. In IE 6 the edit with command would open the program
specified in the HTML document's Generator Content tag. For example a PP
html has:

So IE 6 would offer to edit with PP when opening this document. The GP
option that is in the IE only specifiies the default editor. Is there a way
to get this functionality back?

news2FDA032-889F-4CD0-AF5A-4D69EA6E1AF2@microsoft.com...
> Start>Run>GPEdit.msc
> User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer Maintenance>Programs
>
> This will import the current user's program tab settings to a .ins file in
> the system32\Policies folder.
>
> You can then edit that ins file and change them to whatever.... then (I
> think) you can use the user Profile at client startup to push a copy of
> that ins file to your client workstations... not too sure about that...
> Not a admin).
>
> Here is the link to the IE8 Readiness toolkit where stipstreaming is
> described.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ss/it-pro.aspx
>
> Web search
> http://www.google.com/search?q=slipstreaming IE8
>
> I mostly see slipsteam custom builds in the wild. It allows admin to
> quickly rollout fixes by just re-installing from an image on a server.
>
> In the deployment folder for your image you should see some .ins files.
> They will contain customizable settings for your client installations of
> IE.
>
> Regards.
>
> "JordanN" <none@here.com> wrote in message
>> What setting? Is there one that says use program X or is there a
>> setting that says use the program it was created with?
>>
>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jordan,
>>>
>>> You use Group Policy and/or IEAK Profile assistant to set this corporate
>>> wide setting.
>>>
>>> Regards.

rob^_^

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Hi Jordan,

I can't play with that environment myself to find out.

What about using the Discussion bar (Included with Office applications) from
the View>Explorer Bars>Discussion Bar menu in IE.

Other than that I can only think of a custom IE extension (Addon) to replace
the IE6 Edit Command Bar button. I remember now that the Edit Command bar
button offered the list of Office Web document editors... Edit with Word,
Edit with Powerpoint, etc...

mmm. Yep Its still there in IE8.

To manually display the Edit command bar button in IE8, right click on the
toolbar area, select 'Customize' from the context menu and find the Edit
button and position it at the top of the Command bar buttons list.

Now, tweaking Group Policy to do that for you on an Enterprise wide basis...
that will be the trick...

Here is a VB snippet I use to reset the Command bar layout to the default
(which includes the Edit button)
If piVersion >= 8 Then
.DeleteValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\CommandBar",
"CommandBandLayout"
Else
.DeleteValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar",
"{1E796980-9CC5-11D1-A83F-00C04FC99D61}"
End If

You could add a small registry script in your users Profiles to do the same
(reset the Command bar layout to default each time a user logs on), But no
(I just tested it... the default Command bar layout does not include the
Edit button)

Ummm. Now there's no options in GPEdit to customize the Command bar layout.
I know how to tweak it but I am looking for paid work at the moment and this
is not the place to ask. You can ping my email address if you like.
Messenger would be best. I expect that you would be looking at 8hrs
professional rates.

Otherwise the solution is to educate your uses to manually customize their
Command bar layout to have the Edit button visible.

I am pretty sure (although I have not used it) that the Office Discussion
bar is the tool of choice to edit and share Office documents over an
intranet. Google Docs may offer a similar Enterprise service, but I wouldn't
know...

Users access the Discuss Explorer bar from the View>Explorer Bars>Discuss
menu, or there is also a Command bar button available.

Regards.

"Jordan" <none@here.com> wrote in message
> Thanks again rob, but this is a little less functionality than we had in
> IE6
>
> On our intranet site we have Excel, Word, and PowerPoint documents that
> are saved as HTML files. In IE 6 the edit with command would open the
> program specified in the HTML document's Generator Content tag. For
> example a PP html has:

> So IE 6 would offer to edit with PP when opening this document. The GP
> option that is in the IE only specifiies the default editor. Is there a
> way to get this functionality back?
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news2FDA032-889F-4CD0-AF5A-4D69EA6E1AF2@microsoft.com...
>> Start>Run>GPEdit.msc
>> User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer
>> Maintenance>Programs
>>
>> This will import the current user's program tab settings to a .ins file
>> in the system32\Policies folder.
>>
>> You can then edit that ins file and change them to whatever.... then (I
>> think) you can use the user Profile at client startup to push a copy of
>> that ins file to your client workstations... not too sure about that...
>> Not a admin).
>>
>> Here is the link to the IE8 Readiness toolkit where stipstreaming is
>> described.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ss/it-pro.aspx
>>
>> Web search
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=slipstreaming IE8
>>
>> I mostly see slipsteam custom builds in the wild. It allows admin to
>> quickly rollout fixes by just re-installing from an image on a server.
>>
>> In the deployment folder for your image you should see some .ins files.
>> They will contain customizable settings for your client installations of
>> IE.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "JordanN" <none@here.com> wrote in message
>>> What setting? Is there one that says use program X or is there a
>>> setting that says use the program it was created with?

JordanN

Re: Edit With is wrong on IE 8
Customizing the toolbar and adding the "Edit" button is what I need.

Thanks