IE 8 won't work in normal mode

Menno Hershberger

IE 8 won't work in normal mode
A friend brought me an almost new laptop (Windows 7) that will not open
Internet Explorer in normal mode. The browser opens but before any content
appears on the page a small window appears saying "Internet Explorer has
stopped working". You close that little window and IE closes right along
with it. In Safe Mode (with Networking) it works fine. I installed Firefox
for him and it works fine in normal mode. Also in the Control Panel I can
open Internet Options OK but I don't really see anything in there that
looks like it should be causing any problems. He has Norton Internet
Security (still on 30 day trial). I disabled everything in that. No help.
Home page is set to http://www.yahoo.com, which is what I set up in
Firefox. This guy prefers IE. Even if he didn't it should work.
What do I look for?

--
--- Long live Fat32! ---

Re: IE 8 won't work in normal mode
> ...He has Norton Internet Security (still on 30 day trial).

There's a big ol' cluestick!

When (approx. date) did he purchase the computer? Was the NIS free trial
preinstalled when he bought it?

I've replied to many of your newsgroup & forum posts so you should have this
page bookmarked already:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ernet-Explorer

Menno Hershberger wrote:
> A friend brought me an almost new laptop (Windows 7) that will not open
> Internet Explorer in normal mode. The browser opens but before any content
> appears on the page a small window appears saying "Internet Explorer has
> stopped working". You close that little window and IE closes right along
> with it. In Safe Mode (with Networking) it works fine. I installed Firefox
> for him and it works fine in normal mode. Also in the Control Panel I can
> open Internet Options OK but I don't really see anything in there that
> looks like it should be causing any problems. He has Norton Internet
> Security (still on 30 day trial). I disabled everything in that. No help.
> Home page is set to http://www.yahoo.com, which is what I set up in
> Firefox. This guy prefers IE. Even if he didn't it should work.
> What do I look for?

Menno Hershberger

Re: IE 8 won't work in normal mode
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in

>> ...He has Norton Internet Security (still on 30 day trial).

> There's a big ol' cluestick!
>
> When (approx. date) did he purchase the computer? Was the NIS free
> trial preinstalled when he bought it?

Not sure when he bought it but he hasn't peeled all the film off it yet and
the 30 day trial hasn't expired. And yes, it was preinstalled.

> I've replied to many of your newsgroup & forum posts so you should
> have this page bookmarked already:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ing-problems-w
> ith-Internet-Explorer

Been there - found nothing relevant.

> Menno Hershberger wrote:
>> A friend brought me an almost new laptop (Windows 7) that will not
>> open Internet Explorer in normal mode. The browser opens but before
>> any content appears on the page a small window appears saying
>> "Internet Explorer has stopped working". You close that little window
>> and IE closes right along with it. In Safe Mode (with Networking) it
>> works fine. I installed Firefox for him and it works fine in normal
>> mode. Also in the Control Panel I can open Internet Options OK but I
>> don't really see anything in there that looks like it should be
>> causing any problems. He has Norton Internet Security (still on 30
>> day trial). I disabled everything in that. No help. Home page is set
>> to http://www.yahoo.com, which is what I set up in Firefox. This guy
>> prefers IE. Even if he didn't it should work. What do I look for?

--
--- Long live Fat32! ---
undisclosed

Re: IE 8 won't work in normal mode

Menno Hershberger,
Have you attempted to reinstall IE8? Also, have you attempted to boot
from the Windows 7 DVD and perform a repair? Should you require
additional assistance and guidance, Microsoft does have an official
Windows 7 Support Forum located here 'Windows 7 IT Pro Category'
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/) .
It is supported by product spe******ts as well as engineers and support
teams.
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

--
JessicaD

Re: IE 8 won't work in normal mode
Reinstall IE8 in Windows 7? How would you recommend he do that, Jessica?

Do you really get paid for answering posts from TWO WEEKS ago?