Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re: search pane missing?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2010
Lane
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?
WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound upset,
but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront and
explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you missed
the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it. I have
gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them explain
WHY it iwas removed.

Thanks,
Lane


"Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:

> It doesn't exist anymore.
>
> --
>
> Sandi Hardmeier
> Microsoft MVP since 1999
> http://www.ie-vista.com
> Blog:
> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
> Internet Explorer Community
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get read.
>
> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
> >I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I don't
> >see
> > it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2010
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?
And if you knew why...what would you do?

If you never find out...what will you do?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Lane wrote:
> WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
> especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound upset,
> but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront and
> explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you missed
> the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it. I have
> gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them explain
> WHY it iwas removed.
>
> Thanks,
> Lane
>
>
> "Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:
>
>> It doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sandi Hardmeier
>> Microsoft MVP since 1999
>> http://www.ie-vista.com
>> Blog:
>> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
>> Internet Explorer Community
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
>> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get read.
>>
>> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
>>> I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I don't
>>> see
>>> it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?

>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2010
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?

"Lane" <Lane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1C0CFB9-998A-4030-9924-8971354DCF26@microsoft.com...
> WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
> especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound
> upset,
> but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront
> and
> explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you missed
> the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it. I
> have
> gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them
> explain
> WHY it iwas removed.



In fact, it wasn't removed from IE7. It is just disabled by default
because hardly any search site supports it any more.

It's still there in IE8 too apparently. A checkbox in Options, Advanced
tab, browsing section:
Enable websites to use the search pane


HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---


>
> Thanks,
> Lane
>
>
> "Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:
>
>> It doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sandi Hardmeier
>> Microsoft MVP since 1999
>> http://www.ie-vista.com
>> Blog:
>> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
>> Internet Explorer Community
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
>> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get
>> read.
>>
>> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
>> >I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I
>> >don't
>> >see
>> > it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?

>>
>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?
Removed in IE7? ...IE8? You're reply to thread from August 2006, long
before IE8 was even in beta.

Lane wrote:
> WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
> especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound
> upset,
> but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront
> and
> explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you missed
> the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it. I
> have gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them
> explain WHY it iwas removed.
>
> Thanks,
> Lane
>
>
> "Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:
>
>> It doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sandi Hardmeier
>> Microsoft MVP since 1999
>> http://www.ie-vista.com
>> Blog:
>> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
>> Internet Explorer Community
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
>> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get
>> read.
>>
>> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
>>> I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I
>>> don't
>>> see
>>> it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2010
Lane
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?
OK:
The checkbox mentioned was already checked and it did not work. However, I
did some more searching and found two reg files that helped

/* start of first file */
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}]
@="Google Search"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Implemented
Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Implemented
Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
64,00,6f,00,63,00,76,00,77,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c ,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Instance]
"CLSID"="{4D5C8C2A-D075-11d0-B416-00C04FB90376}."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
"Url"="http://www.google.com/ie"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
Bars\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}]
"BarSize"=hexC,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
/* end of first file */

/* start of second file */
REGEDIT4


[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Use Search Asst"="no"
"Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
"Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
"provider"="gogl"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
/* end of second file */

Originally, neither one of these worrked even if I restarted Internet
Explorer. But after I rebooted my computer, it worked fine. Since I did not
reboot after the first file, I am not sure if the second file is necessary.
To run the reg files, copy the text in between the "start" and "end" comments
(not including these comments) and place in a text file and save with an
extension of ".reg". Then double click the file. Create a separate reg file
for each of the above.

Lane


"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>
> "Lane" <Lane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E1C0CFB9-998A-4030-9924-8971354DCF26@microsoft.com...
> > WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
> > especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound
> > upset,
> > but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront
> > and
> > explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you missed
> > the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it. I
> > have
> > gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them
> > explain
> > WHY it iwas removed.

>
>
> In fact, it wasn't removed from IE7. It is just disabled by default
> because hardly any search site supports it any more.
>
> It's still there in IE8 too apparently. A checkbox in Options, Advanced
> tab, browsing section:
> Enable websites to use the search pane
>
>
> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lane
> >
> >
> > "Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> It doesn't exist anymore.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Sandi Hardmeier
> >> Microsoft MVP since 1999
> >> http://www.ie-vista.com
> >> Blog:
> >> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
> >> Internet Explorer Community
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
> >> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get
> >> read.
> >>
> >> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
> >> >I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I
> >> >don't
> >> >see
> >> > it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?
> >>
> >>
> >>

> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2010
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: search pane missing?
Hi Lane,

see http://www.iecustomizer.com/iepanels

There are about 300 side bar panels for IE, FX, Sea Monkey and Opera. If you
have a custom Side bar ping me and I can give you instructions to package it
in an installer and add it to my listings at iec.

Regards.

"Lane" <Lane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EB2CBA3F-02F0-4E7A-9E84-778860CAC494@microsoft.com...
> OK:
> The checkbox mentioned was already checked and it did not work. However,
> I
> did some more searching and found two reg files that helped
>
> /* start of first file */
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}]
> @="Google Search"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Implemented
> Categories]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Implemented
> Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\InProcServer32]
> @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
>
> 00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
> 64,00,6f,00,63,00,76,00,77,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c ,00,00,00
> "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Instance]
> "CLSID"="{4D5C8C2A-D075-11d0-B416-00C04FB90376}."
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
> "Url"="http://www.google.com/ie"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
> Bars\{e3061d40-32e2-4cbb-9d7b-5e5df890252e}]
> "BarSize"=hexC,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
> /* end of first file */
>
> /* start of second file */
> REGEDIT4
>
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
> "Use Search Asst"="no"
> "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
> "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
> ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
> "provider"="gogl"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
> "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
> /* end of second file */
>
> Originally, neither one of these worrked even if I restarted Internet
> Explorer. But after I rebooted my computer, it worked fine. Since I did
> not
> reboot after the first file, I am not sure if the second file is
> necessary.
> To run the reg files, copy the text in between the "start" and "end"
> comments
> (not including these comments) and place in a text file and save with an
> extension of ".reg". Then double click the file. Create a separate reg
> file
> for each of the above.
>
> Lane
>
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>>
>> "Lane" <Lane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E1C0CFB9-998A-4030-9924-8971354DCF26@microsoft.com...
>> > WHY was it removed? That was a very stupid thing for Microsoft to do
>> > especially with the advent of widescreen displays. Yeah, I may sound
>> > upset,
>> > but that happens when people remove functionality without being upfront
>> > and
>> > explaining why in the "What's New" section. So, again, in case you
>> > missed
>> > the question: WHY was it removed? Please don't tell me to Google it.
>> > I
>> > have
>> > gone through hundreds of links from a Google search and none of them
>> > explain
>> > WHY it iwas removed.

>>
>>
>> In fact, it wasn't removed from IE7. It is just disabled by default
>> because hardly any search site supports it any more.
>>
>> It's still there in IE8 too apparently. A checkbox in Options, Advanced
>> tab, browsing section:
>> Enable websites to use the search pane
>>
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>
>>
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Lane
>> >
>> >
>> > "Sandi - Microsoft MVP" wrote:
>> >
>> >> It doesn't exist anymore.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >>
>> >> Sandi Hardmeier
>> >> Microsoft MVP since 1999
>> >> http://www.ie-vista.com
>> >> Blog:
>> >> http://www.msmvps.com/spywaresucks
>> >> Internet Explorer Community
>> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...y/default.mspx
>> >> The email address I use for newsgroups is a spam trap and does not get
>> >> read.
>> >>
>> >> "tpedersen6" <tpedersen6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:6DD64A16-EC88-47B3-80B3-CDF2FFC33E8D@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I loved having a search pane open on the left side of my screen. I
>> >> >don't
>> >> >see
>> >> > it in IE7... does it exist or am I missing something?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>

>> .
>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing Preview Pane gehriger@linkcad.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 07-26-2011 18:18
Missing folders pane samosullivan microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 26 01-20-2010 20:05
Re: search pane missing? cbsarge microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 10-24-2008 13:55
details pane missing DCL Windows Vista General 0 08-04-2008 18:09
Missing Navigation Pane & toolbar Angela microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 02-08-2008 03:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120