IE8 won't open .config files

Di

IE8 won't open .config files
I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I try to
open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked if I
want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog again.

If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine.

Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him it's
ok to do so?

Thanks,
Di
Gordon

Re: IE8 won't open .config files

"Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com...
> I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I try
> open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked
> if I
> want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog again.
>
> If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine.
>
> Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him
> it's
> ok to do so?
>
> Thanks,
> Di

Err WHY would you want to be opening a .config file in IE in the first
place?

Di

Re: IE8 won't open .config files
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for asking
I'm looking at some web.config files. However, I don't have Visual Studio
installed on my machine (and don't want to do so). I just want the great,
extremely functional, collapsible view of xml content that IE does so well.

Seriously, it feels like a unsubstantiated quirk on the part of IE that I'm
not able to view those files. I'm using a client OS, not a server so IE
shouldn't be so overzealous as to not allowing me to view a file that is
anyway harmless.

Any ideas where I can configure (allow) this?

Thanks,
Di

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com...
> > I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I try
> > open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked
> > if I
> > want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog again.
> >
> > If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine.
> >
> > Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him
> > it's
> > ok to do so?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Di

> Err WHY would you want to be opening a .config file in IE in the first
> place?
>
> .

VanguardLH

Di wrote:

> Hi Gordon,
> Thanks for asking
> I'm looking at some web.config files. However, I don't have Visual Studio
> installed on my machine (and don't want to do so). I just want the great,
> extremely functional, collapsible view of xml content that IE does so well.
>
> Seriously, it feels like a unsubstantiated quirk on the part of IE that I'm
> not able to view those files. I'm using a client OS, not a server so IE
> shouldn't be so overzealous as to not allowing me to view a file that is
> anyway harmless.
>
> Any ideas where I can configure (allow) this?

Why not associate Notepad with .config files since they are just text? Or
get Microsoft's XML Notepad and associate it with .config files.

Re: IE8 won't open .config files
Boy, are you ever barking up the wrong tree (and in the wrong forest, too).

Developer-specific resources include:

MSDN IE Development Forum (post such questions here instead)
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...opment/threads

Tip: When posting in Developer forums, always include a link to your web
site or test pages in your first post.

IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

HTML and DHTML Overviews and Tutorials
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer (free, stand-alone visual
debugging tool for IE6, IE7, and IE8)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-dccff3fae677

Expression Web SuperPreview Release Notes
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/...easeNotes.aspx

Validators:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Di wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
> Thanks for asking
> I'm looking at some web.config files. However, I don't have Visual Studio
> installed on my machine (and don't want to do so). I just want the great,
> extremely functional, collapsible view of xml content that IE does so
> well.
>
> Seriously, it feels like a unsubstantiated quirk on the part of IE that
> I'm
> not able to view those files. I'm using a client OS, not a server so IE
> shouldn't be so overzealous as to not allowing me to view a file that is
> anyway harmless.
>
> Any ideas where I can configure (allow) this?
>
> Thanks,
> Di
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>> "Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com...
>>> I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I
>>> try
>>> open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked
>>> if I
>>> want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog
>>> again.
>>>
>>> If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine.
>>>
>>> Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him
>>> it's
>>> ok to do so?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Di

>> Err WHY would you want to be opening a .config file in IE in the first
>> place?
>>
>> .

Twayne

Re: IE8 won't open .config files
In newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com,
Di <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with
> patches. When I try to open a *.config file with IE it
> comes in an endless loop where I'm asked if I want to save
> or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog
> again.
>
> If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is
> fine.
>
> Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how
> can I tell him it's ok to do so?
>
> Thanks,
> Di

IE is not designed to open or work with those files, unless
you mean when they are received as an attachment in an e-mail,
which would be an OE question, not IE. Use a different program
to open them, such as notepad, wordpad, etc..

HTH,

Twayne`

Twayne

Re: IE8 won't open .config files
In news:B0AEC1FF-96A8-4D44-89FD-636AD4FF3913@microsoft.com,
Di <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi Gordon,
> Thanks for asking
> I'm looking at some web.config files. However, I don't have
> Visual Studio installed on my machine (and don't want to do
> so). I just want the great, extremely functional,
> collapsible view of xml content that IE does so well.
>
> Seriously, it feels like a unsubstantiated quirk on the
> part of IE that I'm not able to view those files. I'm using
> a client OS, not a server so IE shouldn't be so overzealous
> as to not allowing me to view a file that is anyway
> harmless.
>
> Any ideas where I can configure (allow) this?
>
> Thanks,
> Di
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>> "Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com...
>>> I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with
>>> patches. When I try to
>>> open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop
>>> where I'm asked if I
>>> want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the
>>> same dialog again.
>>>
>>> If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how
>>> can I tell him it's
>>> ok to do so?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Di

>> Err WHY would you want to be opening a .config file in IE
>> in the first place?
>>
>> .

IE (Internet Explorer) is not a viewer for opening and editing
files. It is designed to work with INTERNET files.

HTH,

Twayne`

Dan

Re: IE8 won't open .config files

"Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com...
> I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I try
> open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked
> if I
> want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog again.
>
> If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine.
>
> Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him
> it's
> ok to do so?
>
> Thanks,
> Di

IE uses the file extension to determine it's MIME type, and what application
should handle it. In the case of .config, I checked the registry on my XP
SP3 system and the Content Type is set to application/xml, which is not one
that IE will handle. If you change it to text/xml then IE will open it just
like if it had the .xml file extension, or was delivered over HTTP with the

You can set the MIME value for .config by running regedit and going to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.config

There should be a Content Type REG_SZ value, change this from
application/xml to text/xml. If there is no Content Type value, create a new
REG_SZ value inside .config called Content Type (note space in value name!),
and enter text/xml for it's value. IE will then open .config files just like
it opens .xml files.

But I would suggest you take heed of the other replies - the IE XML viewer
is ok, but you'd be better off with an XML editing tool, especially as
invalid XML will mean IE won't display the file contents.

--
Dan

Di

Re: IE8 won't open .config files
Dan, thanks a million, that's the answer I was looking for!!!!

@the other respondents:
Thank you in any case for reacting to my question! Just one small tip: if
you really read the question without making assumptions and without
moralizing you can be of better help

I did not say I wanted to *edit* config files, I said I wanted to be able to
look at them in an efficient way. Why would I want that? Gees! For example
because I am performing a review of some stuff and want to brouwse
efficiently through the config files. And don't want to fire up my virtual
machine and copy stuff just because I wanted to look at it! And don't want to
use Visual Studio Express because it's like half gig and don't want to
install it. And because I'm curious why IE is so difficult about those files
..... etc. etc. etc. In other words, I don't think one should apologize for
wanting to use technology, it's for there for us

> And because I'm curious why IE is so difficult about those files

Err because IE is a WEB BROWSER or hadn't you heard? A config file is NOT a
WEB PAGE is it? Jeeeze.
You DO realize that a config file is just a TEXT file and can be opened in
NOTEPAD or any other TEXT reader?