Not default browser msg displayed everytime IE8 32 started.

Brinkmanship

Not default browser msg displayed everytime IE8 32 started.
Platform is WIN7 64. I have run two different scanners for viruses, malware
and spyware and nothing is found. It just started today and no updates were
installed. Internet options indicates that it is the default browser and
check for default is checked. If I uncheck the check for default the warning
msg does not display. Also scanned the registry and no errors were detected.
Does anyone know what IE8 reads to discover the default browser? IE8 32 and
IE8 64 are the only installed browsers. The system has been running for two
months without any problems. I use the IE8 64 in the kiosk mode for faster
response but have to use IE8 32 for Adobe and others compatibility. In the
internet options it says that IE8 64 cannot be the default browser but I
don't see where there is an option to set the 64 instead of the 32. Probably
some dll became unregistered but am anaware of where to start.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Not default browser msg displayed everytime IE8 32 started.

"Brinkmanship" <Brinkmanship@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Platform is WIN7 64. I have run two different scanners for viruses,
> malware
> and spyware and nothing is found. It just started today and no updates
> were
> installed. Internet options indicates that it is the default browser and
> check for default is checked. If I uncheck the check for default the
> warning
> msg does not display. Also scanned the registry and no errors were
> detected.
> Does anyone know what IE8 reads to discover the default browser? IE8 32
> and
> IE8 64 are the only installed browsers. The system has been running for
> two
> months without any problems. I use the IE8 64 in the kiosk mode for
> faster
> response but have to use IE8 32 for Adobe and others compatibility. In
> the
> internet options it says that IE8 64 cannot be the default browser but I
> don't see where there is an option to set the 64 instead of the 32.
> Probably
> some dll became unregistered but am anaware of where to start.

Use a different path. There should be shortcuts in your Start menu to
choose.

Re: Not default browser msg displayed everytime IE8 32 started.
> ...I have run two different scanners for viruses, malware
> and spyware

Do you have two (2) anti-virus applications installed and loading at boot?

it)?

See this discussion:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a9416d65f981