Can't Uninstall IE 8

smiley

Can't Uninstall IE 8
Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the purposes of
reinstalling.

The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is on
the list but there is no
tab shown to change/remove the program.

Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I should
try first.

I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my pc
had earlier problems
where I was forced to do a complete system restore.

If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it would
be very most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Smiley

Don Varnau

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
Hi,
If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3 first.

But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are you
having with IE8?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the purposes

of
> reinstalling.
>
> The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is on
> the list but there is no
> tab shown to change/remove the program.
>
> Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I should
> try first.
>
> I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my pc
> had earlier problems
> where I was forced to do a complete system restore.
>
> If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it would
> be very most appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smiley

smiley

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.

When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;

Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]

[Cannot find
'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]

[Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].

When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.

And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.

I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied, might
be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

> Hi,
> If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3 first.
>
> But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are you
> having with IE8?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the purposes

> of
>> reinstalling.
>>
>> The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is on
>> the list but there is no
>> tab shown to change/remove the program.
>>
>> Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I should
>> try first.
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my
>> pc
>> had earlier problems
>> where I was forced to do a complete system restore.
>>
>> If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it
>> would
>> be very most appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Smiley

Charlie

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8

> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>
> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>
> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>
> [Cannot find
> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>
> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>
> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>
> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>
> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,
> might be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

>> Hi,
>> If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3
>> first.
>>
>> But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are you
>> having with IE8?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the
>>> purposes

>> of
>>> reinstalling.
>>>
>>> The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is
>>> on
>>> the list but there is no
>>> tab shown to change/remove the program.
>>>
>>> Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I
>>> should
>>> try first.
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my
>>> pc
>>> had earlier problems
>>> where I was forced to do a complete system restore.
>>>
>>> If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it
>>> would
>>> be very most appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Smiley

If all else fails try this bit of freeware
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

They also have a pay for pro version that does more.

Charlie

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
Contact Verizon Support (or uninstall all Verizon software: you don't need
any of it installed now).

smiley wrote:
> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>
> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>
> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>
> [Cannot find
> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>
> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>
> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>
> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>
> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,
> might
> be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

>> Hi,
>> If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3
>> first.
>>
>> But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are you
>> having with IE8?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the
>>> purposes
>>> of reinstalling.
>>>
>>> The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is
>>> on
>>> the list but there is no
>>> tab shown to change/remove the program.
>>>
>>> Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I
>>> should
>>> try first.
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my
>>> pc
>>> had earlier problems
>>> where I was forced to do a complete system restore.
>>>
>>> If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it
>>> would
>>> be very most appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Smiley

smiley

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
I already contacted Verizon.

The tech tried remotely to correct the problem but was unsuccessful in doing
so.

In the meantime, I will try the suggestion in the above post and see if that
will do the trick.
> Contact Verizon Support (or uninstall all Verizon software: you don't need
> any of it installed now).
>
> smiley wrote:
>> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
>> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>>
>> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>>
>> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>>
>> [Cannot find
>> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>>
>> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>>
>> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>>
>> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>>
>> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,
>> might
>> be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.
>>
>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3
>>> first.
>>>
>>> But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are
>>> you
>>> having with IE8?
>>>
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
Hi,
Not the best way to deal with this, but have you tried a System Restore?
This is not the procedure which will return the computer to out-of-the-box
condition. It will just roll the system back to a previous state.

From Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> System Restore.
How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>
> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>
> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>
> [Cannot find
> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>
> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>
> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>
> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>
> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,

might
> be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

> > Hi,
> > If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3

first.

> > But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are
> > you having with IE8?
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi; I'm having a problem with IE 8 and need to uninstall for the

purposes
> > of
> >> reinstalling.
> >>
> >> The only thing is when I go into the Add/Remove programs list, IE 8 is

on
> >> the list but there is no
> >> tab shown to change/remove the program.
> >>
> >> Short of doing a complete system restore, is there anything that I

should
> >> try first.
> >>
> >> I'm running Windows XP/Service Pack 3 & went from IE 6 to IE 8 after my
> >> pc
> >> had earlier problems
> >> where I was forced to do a complete system restore.
> >>
> >> If anyone on the group has any suggestions that would be of help, it
> >> would
> >> be very most appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Smiley

smiley

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
Hi, Don.

I tried earlier to use the System Restore feature to roll back to an earlier
date.

But after the reboot, the change was somehow rejected and everything went
back to where it was before.

I however have a idea that I came up with.

I now remember that IE8 was installed before SP3 was installed.

Do you think that SP3 could be at fault and if so, would it help to
uninstall SP3 and see if it will free up
IE8 so that both can be reinstalled?

Thanks.
Smiley
> Hi,
> Not the best way to deal with this, but have you tried a System Restore?
> This is not the procedure which will return the computer to out-of-the-box
> condition. It will just roll the system back to a previous state.
>
> From Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> System Restore.
> How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
>> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>>
>> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>>
>> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>>
>> [Cannot find
>> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>>
>> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>>
>> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>>
>> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>>
>> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,

> might
>> be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > If SP3 (XP) was installed after IE8, you will have to uninstall SP3

> first.
>> >
>> > But... an uninstall/reinstall may not be necessary. What problems are
>> > you having with IE8?
>> >
>> > Don
>> > [MS MVP- IE]

>> > "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message

> purposes
>> > of

> on

> should

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

The above notwithstanding, I'd VERY much doubt that
uninstalling/reinstalling IE8 will resolve your problems.

smiley wrote:
> Hi, Don.
>
> I tried earlier to use the System Restore feature to roll back to an
> earlier
> date.
>
> But after the reboot, the change was somehow rejected and everything went
> back to where it was before.
>
> I however have a idea that I came up with.
>
> I now remember that IE8 was installed before SP3 was installed.
>
> Do you think that SP3 could be at fault and if so, would it help to
> uninstall SP3 and see if it will free up
> IE8 so that both can be reinstalled?
>
> Thanks.
> Smiley
>> Hi,
>> Not the best way to deal with this, but have you tried a System Restore?
>> This is not the procedure which will return the computer to
>> out-of-the-box
>> condition. It will just roll the system back to a previous state.
>>
>> From Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> System Restore.
>> How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "smiley" <smiley364@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> The problems started the end of last week when my ISP (Verizon) sent a
>>> software update that directed me to reboot to complete the installation.
>>>
>>> When I reboot I get an error message displaying the following;
>>>
>>> Windows Internet Explorer [Shown At Top Of Window]
>>>
>>> [Cannot find
>>> 'file:///C:Program%20Files/Verizon/OfflineUpdate/redirector.htm'.]
>>>
>>> [Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.].
>>>
>>> When I close the window on the error message, IE self-launches.
>>>
>>> And each and every time I reboot, the same thing happens.
>>>
>>> I can only assume that whatever occurred after the update was applied,
>>> might be related to this issue but I'm not really sure.

Don Varnau

Re: Can't Uninstall IE 8
Hi,
Your problem is with the Verizon program. I don't think that reinstalling
Internet Explorer will help.

In IE> Tools> Manage add-ons (Show:All add-ons) do you see an add-on which
might be the one Verizon installed or tried to install?

From Start> Run (type in) msconfig then hit Enter or click OK. Go to the
Startup tab. Is there a startup entry which might be related to the Verizon
offline update redirector?

Is there a listing in Add or remove programs for the Verizon updater?

Don