Adobe Flash Pllayer Installer

Earl Partridge

Adobe Flash Pllayer Installer
Windows 7 - 64 Bit, IE8 - 64 Bit
Some sites pop up a bar wanting to install Adobe Flash Player Installer.
I have clicked to allow it to be installed, but it apparently does not.
Most likely because it is not a 64 Bit App. How can I install, or stop this
pop up?
Earl

VanguardLH

Re: Adobe Flash Pllayer Installer
Earl Partridge wrote:

> Windows 7 - 64 Bit, IE8 - 64 Bit
> Some sites pop up a bar wanting to install Adobe Flash Player Installer.
> I have clicked to allow it to be installed, but it apparently does not.
> Most likely because it is not a 64 Bit App. How can I install, or stop this
> pop up?
> Earl

You can't stop the popup. The site isn't bothering to look at the UA string
to see that you are connecting to them using a 64-bit version. Their script
is simplistic and tells you that the AX control for Flash is missing but
that same script wasn't coded to care about whether you used 32- or 64-bit
IE to connect there. You'll have to visit that badly coded site using the
32-bit version of IE with the Flash AX add-on installed if you want to avoid
the stupid popup.
Rob

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Earl Partridge wrote:
>
>> Windows 7 - 64 Bit, IE8 - 64 Bit
>> Some sites pop up a bar wanting to install Adobe Flash Player Installer.
>> I have clicked to allow it to be installed, but it apparently does not.
>> Most likely because it is not a 64 Bit App. How can I install, or stop this
>> pop up?
>> Earl

> You can't stop the popup. The site isn't bothering to look at the UA string
> to see that you are connecting to them using a 64-bit version. Their script
> is simplistic and tells you that the AX control for Flash is missing but
> that same script wasn't coded to care about whether you used 32- or 64-bit
> IE to connect there. You'll have to visit that badly coded site using the
> 32-bit version of IE with the Flash AX add-on installed if you want to avoid
> the stupid popup.

It isn't the site that is badly coded, it is Adobe that is the problem.
They take years to release a 64 bit version of their software... is that
rocket science or what?

On the other hand, Microsoft should have included support for 32 bit
plugins in their 64 bit browser.

E.g. under Linux, Mozilla browsers can use 32 bit Adobe Flash from a
64 bit browser for many years already. This works better (for the end
user) than relying on the plugin manufacturers to update their code.

Rob wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Earl Partridge wrote:
>>
>>> Windows 7 - 64 Bit, IE8 - 64 Bit
>>> Some sites pop up a bar wanting to install Adobe Flash Player Installer.
>>> I have clicked to allow it to be installed, but it apparently does not.
>>> Most likely because it is not a 64 Bit App. How can I install, or stop this
>>> pop up?
>>> Earl

>> You can't stop the popup. The site isn't bothering to look at the UA string
>> to see that you are connecting to them using a 64-bit version. Their script
>> is simplistic and tells you that the AX control for Flash is missing but
>> that same script wasn't coded to care about whether you used 32- or 64-bit
>> IE to connect there. You'll have to visit that badly coded site using the
>> 32-bit version of IE with the Flash AX add-on installed if you want to avoid
>> the stupid popup.

> It isn't the site that is badly coded, it is Adobe that is the problem.
> They take years to release a 64 bit version of their software... is that
> rocket science or what?

The lack of the AX control as a BHO available in the web browser is detected
by code in the web page that you visit. Who do you think is generating the
popup?