How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?

Jeff

How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?
I'm running IE 8 under Windows Server 2008. Let's say I have two instances
of IE running, and each instance has four tabs/urls. In the Windows taskbar,
when I click on the IE icon and the list of windows is displayed, instead of
two URLs, it displays all eight.

I'm not sure if this is an IE8 vs. IE7 issue, or a Windows Server 2008 vs.
XP issue, but on my work machine (running IE8 and Win Server 2008) this
happens, but on my home machine (IE7 and WinXP) only two URLs are displayed
(the active tab/URL of each instance).

Is there any way to change this? I really don't like the new behavior and
which only the active tab/URL was displayed in the extended taskbar list.

Thanks,

Jeff

rob^_^

Re: How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?
Hi Jeff,

IE8 has loosely coupled tabs, so that if a tab crashes (malware or
incompatible addon) the whole browser does not crash. If crash recovery is
turned on in IE Settings IE will attempt to reload the tab twice before
giving up and closing the whole browser window.

viz. IE7 is less user friendly than IE8. The important thing for IE7 users
on XP is that you update your OS to Service Pack 3 to benefit from the
enhance security in that service pack.

Regards.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE 8 under Windows Server 2008. Let's say I have two
> instances
> of IE running, and each instance has four tabs/urls. In the Windows
> taskbar,
> when I click on the IE icon and the list of windows is displayed, instead
> of
> two URLs, it displays all eight.
>
> I'm not sure if this is an IE8 vs. IE7 issue, or a Windows Server 2008 vs.
> XP issue, but on my work machine (running IE8 and Win Server 2008) this
> happens, but on my home machine (IE7 and WinXP) only two URLs are
> displayed
> (the active tab/URL of each instance).
>
> Is there any way to change this? I really don't like the new behavior and
> which only the active tab/URL was displayed in the extended taskbar list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

rob^_^

Re: How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?
Sorry, I got lost in your message body. I did not answer your Subject line.

Right click on the WS08 task bar and select properties. There is an option
there configure the Task bar display. It may also be a Desktop theme
configuration (not at a Win7 machine at the moment). I think choosing a
Windows Classic theme will get WS08 looking and acting like XP.

Regards.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE 8 under Windows Server 2008. Let's say I have two
> instances
> of IE running, and each instance has four tabs/urls. In the Windows
> taskbar,
> when I click on the IE icon and the list of windows is displayed, instead
> of
> two URLs, it displays all eight.
>
> I'm not sure if this is an IE8 vs. IE7 issue, or a Windows Server 2008 vs.
> XP issue, but on my work machine (running IE8 and Win Server 2008) this
> happens, but on my home machine (IE7 and WinXP) only two URLs are
> displayed
> (the active tab/URL of each instance).
>
> Is there any way to change this? I really don't like the new behavior and
> which only the active tab/URL was displayed in the extended taskbar list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Re: How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?
WS2008 doesn't seem to have this option, though from you last message it
sounds like this is an IE issue, not an OS issue since IE has loosely coupled
tabs.

Well thanks anyway,

Jeff

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Sorry, I got lost in your message body. I did not answer your Subject line.
>
> Right click on the WS08 task bar and select properties. There is an option
> there configure the Task bar display. It may also be a Desktop theme
> configuration (not at a Win7 machine at the moment). I think choosing a
> Windows Classic theme will get WS08 looking and acting like XP.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running IE 8 under Windows Server 2008. Let's say I have two
> > instances
> > of IE running, and each instance has four tabs/urls. In the Windows
> > taskbar,
> > when I click on the IE icon and the list of windows is displayed, instead
> > of
> > two URLs, it displays all eight.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is an IE8 vs. IE7 issue, or a Windows Server 2008 vs.
> > XP issue, but on my work machine (running IE8 and Win Server 2008) this
> > happens, but on my home machine (IE7 and WinXP) only two URLs are
> > displayed
> > (the active tab/URL of each instance).
> >
> > Is there any way to change this? I really don't like the new behavior and
> > which only the active tab/URL was displayed in the extended taskbar list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff

Robert Aldwinckle

> WS2008 doesn't seem to have this option, though from you last message it
> sounds like this is an IE issue, not an OS issue since IE has loosely
> coupled
> tabs.

Where did you look? Taskbar Properties. Taskbar buttons. You want:
Never combine.

> Well thanks anyway,
>
> Jeff
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I got lost in your message body. I did not answer your Subject
>> line.
>>
>> Right click on the WS08 task bar and select properties. There is an
>> option
>> there configure the Task bar display. It may also be a Desktop theme
>> configuration (not at a Win7 machine at the moment). I think choosing a
>> Windows Classic theme will get WS08 looking and acting like XP.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm running IE 8 under Windows Server 2008. Let's say I have two
>> > instances
>> > of IE running, and each instance has four tabs/urls. In the Windows
>> > taskbar,
>> > when I click on the IE icon and the list of windows is displayed,
>> > instead
>> > of
>> > two URLs, it displays all eight.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure if this is an IE8 vs. IE7 issue, or a Windows Server 2008
>> > vs.
>> > XP issue, but on my work machine (running IE8 and Win Server 2008) this
>> > happens, but on my home machine (IE7 and WinXP) only two URLs are
>> > displayed
>> > (the active tab/URL of each instance).
>> >
>> > Is there any way to change this? I really don't like the new behavior
>> > and
>> > which only the active tab/URL was displayed in the extended taskbar
>> > list.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jeff

Jeff

Re: How to get only active tab to display in windows taskbar?
> Where did you look? Taskbar Properties. Taskbar buttons. You want:
> Never combine.

I'm not certain we're talking about the same thing. If anything, applying
'never combine' is the exact opposite of what I want.

Let's say I have two instances of IE8 open, each with 4 tabs (so a total of
8). Let's also say I have two instances of FireFox open, also with 4 tabs
each.

My taskbar's 'taskbar buttons' setting is set to 'Always combine, hide labels'

At the moment, when I click on the FireFox icon in the taskbar and the popup
menu appears, there are two items (one for each instance, not all 8 tabs).
When I click in the IE8 icon, 8 items appear (every single tab/URL), not two.
What I would like is for only the two menu items (the current tab in each
instance) to appear.

When I change the taskbar setting to 'Never combine', everything becomes
ungrouped, which is the exact opposite of what I want.

Jeff