IE6 vs Firefox

Charlie

IE6 vs Firefox
I've just been recovering from a bad HD.
XP Pro with SP2 and all the downloads offered by Microsoft as it tries to
catch up on this new HD.

Here's an anomaly I can't get around.
Spouse prefers IE6 (that came with the recovery disc)
I have been using FF.

The problem: she goes to a site to get a recipe. The main page of the site
(Foodnetwork) opens with no problem but a search from within that page
fails with the message that the site cannot be opened and the link below.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...rc hType=site

If I try to access the same site, with FF it opens with no problem and the
link above is the same for either browser.

Suggestions please.

Charlie

MartinWann is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Website testing tools - need advice
Hi all!

Want to conveniently control beta testing process - communication with testers. I want something that can be simply integrated with my software.

Possibly somebody by now had some practice utilizing services available. Would truly appreciate your opinion.

Thanks!
Tom Willett

Re: IE6 vs Firefox
My opinion is you hijacked someone else's non-related thread.

"MartinWann" <MartinWann.488pw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:MartinWann.488pw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
:
: Hi all!
:
: Want to conveniently control beta testing process - communication with
: testers. I want something that can be simply integrated with my
: software.
:
: Possibly somebody by now had some practice utilizing services
: available. Would truly appreciate your opinion.
:
: Thanks!
:
:
: --
: MartinWann
: Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
:

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE6 vs Firefox

"Charlie" <left@thestation.com> wrote in message
> I've just been recovering from a bad HD.
> XP Pro with SP2 and all the downloads offered by Microsoft as it tries to
> catch up on this new HD.
>
> Here's an anomaly I can't get around.
> Spouse prefers IE6 (that came with the recovery disc)
> I have been using FF.
>
> The problem: she goes to a site to get a recipe. The main page of the site
> (Foodnetwork) opens with no problem but a search from within that page
> fails with the message that the site cannot be opened and the link below.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...rc hType=site
>
> If I try to access the same site, with FF it opens with no problem and the
> link above is the same for either browser.
>

> Suggestions please.

Symptoms please. FWIW I get a Javascript error there (IE8 on W7);
otherwise that page seems functional. Also tested with User-Agent
equivalent to IE6 on XPsp2. Same warning.

The site uses Adobe Flash for presenting ads. If it was broken you could
have strange symptoms due to that.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Charlie

Re: IE6 vs Firefox

> "Charlie" <left@thestation.com> wrote in message
>> I've just been recovering from a bad HD.
>> XP Pro with SP2 and all the downloads offered by Microsoft as it tries to
>> catch up on this new HD.
>>
>> Here's an anomaly I can't get around.
>> Spouse prefers IE6 (that came with the recovery disc)
>> I have been using FF.
>>
>> The problem: she goes to a site to get a recipe. The main page of the
>> site (Foodnetwork) opens with no problem but a search from within that
>> page fails with the message that the site cannot be opened and the link
>> below.
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...rc hType=site
>>
>> If I try to access the same site, with FF it opens with no problem and
>> the link above is the same for either browser.
>>

>> Suggestions please.

> Symptoms please. FWIW I get a Javascript error there (IE8 on W7);
> otherwise that page seems functional. Also tested with User-Agent
> equivalent to IE6 on XPsp2. Same warning.
>
> The site uses Adobe Flash for presenting ads. If it was broken you
> could have strange symptoms due to that.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

As part of restoring the HD Adobe flash, shockwave and reader were all newly
downloaded and installed.

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Charlie" <left@thestation.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just been recovering from a bad HD.
>>> XP Pro with SP2 and all the downloads offered by Microsoft as it tries
>>> to catch up on this new HD.
>>>
>>> Here's an anomaly I can't get around.
>>> Spouse prefers IE6 (that came with the recovery disc)
>>> I have been using FF.
>>>
>>> The problem: she goes to a site to get a recipe. The main page of the
>>> site (Foodnetwork) opens with no problem but a search from within that
>>> page fails with the message that the site cannot be opened and the link
>>> below.
>>>
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...rc hType=site
>>>
>>> If I try to access the same site, with FF it opens with no problem and
>>> the link above is the same for either browser.
>>>

>>> Suggestions please.

>> Symptoms please. FWIW I get a Javascript error there (IE8 on W7);
>> otherwise that page seems functional. Also tested with User-Agent
>> equivalent to IE6 on XPsp2. Same warning.
>>
>> The site uses Adobe Flash for presenting ads. If it was broken you
>> could have strange symptoms due to that.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

> As part of restoring the HD Adobe flash, shockwave and reader were all
> newly downloaded and installed.

Then, since you probably don't need Flash to use the site, try disabling it.
Also, you could disable all BHO (at least as a test) by unchecking
Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
(Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

(There's a suggestion I haven't had to type in a long time. <w>)

Doing the latter might help avoid the effects of some (but definitely not
all) spyware she has probably allowed on her unprotected system.

Good luck

Robert
---

Charlie

Re: IE6 vs Firefox---- finished

> "Charlie" <left@thestation.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Charlie" <left@thestation.com> wrote in message

>>> Symptoms please. FWIW I get a Javascript error there (IE8 on W7);
>>> otherwise that page seems functional. Also tested with User-Agent
>>> equivalent to IE6 on XPsp2. Same warning.
>>>
>>> The site uses Adobe Flash for presenting ads. If it was broken you
>>> could have strange symptoms due to that.
>>>

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Robert Aldwinckle
>>> ---

>> As part of restoring the HD Adobe flash, shockwave and reader were all
>> newly downloaded and installed.

> Then, since you probably don't need Flash to use the site, try disabling
> it. Also, you could disable all BHO (at least as a test) by unchecking
> Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
> (Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)
>
> (There's a suggestion I haven't had to type in a long time. <w>)
>
> Doing the latter might help avoid the effects of some (but definitely not
> all) spyware she has probably allowed on her unprotected system.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

Couple of things.
We are talking about a single PC with multiple accounts on XP.
It is not infected according to AVG9, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.
Only AVG runs on a sked. the others are manually and on demand only.
During the back and forth here MS finally offered up SP3 which has been
installed with no effect on the problem.
Finally I installed IE8.
Bingo! All is well.

Thanks for the leads

Charlie

Twayne

Re: IE6 vs Firefox
In news:MartinWann.488pw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com,
MartinWann <MartinWann.488pw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com>
typed:
> Hi all!
>
> Want to conveniently control beta testing process -
> communication with testers. I want something that can be
> simply integrated with my software.
>
> Possibly somebody by now had some practice utilizing
> services available. Would truly appreciate your opinion.
>
> Thanks!

Do not hijack threads: It's likely no one will respond to you
because of the hijack. Start your own new thread/post.

HTH,

Twayne`