IE7, IE8 urlmon.dll the ordinal 455 could not be located.

Dustin Dowhan

IE7, IE8 urlmon.dll the ordinal 455 could not be located.
Okay. So currently as it stands, My IE 8 is a stack of junk. The problems
started when I had to redownload Windows Live Messenger, and due to a
registry error, it wasn't saving e-mail adresses. With some personal
research, I solved the registry error, however, I noticed that my IE8 was
acting sluggishly; It has been on my computer since the previous system
recovery, where as it is supposed to revert to IE7 upon uninstall.

To solve the sluggishness, I used the program CCleaner, purging my system of
cookies and all the extra baggage of every day computer use. Then I ran the
IE8 reset. It wouldn't recieve cookies, and thus wouldn't retain websites in
the URL bar and loaded even more slowly. So I decided to purge personal
addons from IE8 via the reset.

Now, when I try to uninstall IE8 to get it to revert to IE7, it acts as
though the program is not there, and that IE8 is still active: The screen
flickers an IE8 window before closing it immediately. By running CCleaner
again, I managed to get the error message "The ordinal 455 could not be
located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll" I run AVG 9.0 up to current
specs, and ZA personal firewall up to current specs.

I have also tried reregistering the urlmon.dll via the cmd and that did not
work.

I'm at my wits end, and I consider myself a witty fellow. Please help!
rob^_^

Re: IE7, IE8 urlmon.dll the ordinal 455 could not be located.
Hi Dustin,

Please state your Windows version and service pack level and if your OS
version is a clean install or an upgrade. Your description could be either a
XP or Vista machine. (my guess would be Vista though)

Personally I think its time for a nuke and pave. Something else seems to
have already nuked your archived IE7 files.

I am going to take a wild guess and assuming a Vista machine try
Start>Control Panel>Default Programs and reset Internet Explorer as your
Default browser. (did you use another browser to make the post here? or to
surf when your previous IE8 was sluggish?)

Running CCleaner after an IE downgrade and with another browser set as the
default may have lost the pointers to the current or archived urlmon.dll. It
is important that if you re-register any IE libraries that you have closed
all IE Windows (and processes from the tasks manager) first.

Regards.