Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix

jcage@lycos.com

Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
Internet Explorer 7. I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
sure fire tool I found here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility

When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
options. Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
try. I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
and installing vIE8 may not be viable. Kind of frustrating so I
thought I'd post here for any ideas...

TIA

LD55ZRA

Re: Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
It depends on whether or not you have an IE7 on XP or Vista and still on the
system. It doesn't matter whether it is working properly or not because the
solution at this link is designed to fix anything on Vista systems:

If you have XP then you will need to follow this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If none of the above articles help then you will need to reformat your HD
and then to install your operating system from scratch. You will need to
backup your data before you do this.

Hope this helps.

<jcage@lycos.com> wrote in message
>I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
> machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
> Internet Explorer 7. I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
> the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
> sure fire tool I found here:
> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility
>
> When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
> options. Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
> I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
> kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
> approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
> try. I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
> and installing vIE8 may not be viable. Kind of frustrating so I
> thought I'd post here for any ideas...
>
> TIA

philo

jcage@lycos.com wrote:
> I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
> machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
> Internet Explorer 7. I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
> the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
> sure fire tool I found here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility
>
> When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
> options. Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
> I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
> kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
> approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
> try. I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
> and installing vIE8 may not be viable. Kind of frustrating so I
> thought I'd post here for any ideas...
>
> TIA

Installing IE8 may actually do the trick
jcage@lycos.com

Re: Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
On Mar 21, 5:26*pm, "LD55ZRA" <LD55...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> It depends on whether or not you have an IE7 on XP or Vista and still on the
> system. *It doesn't matter whether it is working properly or not because the
> solution at this link is designed to fix anything on Vista systems:

Same file is listed for repair of all versions of Windows at:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/Fix-IE-...ram_52418.html

Hope I can find a way to save my IE7 but it's in no way worth a
reformat of a hard drive to get it back. Too many other browsers on
the market nowadays but again, I'd like to save it if I can. Thanks
for the feedback.
jcage@lycos.com

On Mar 21, 5:33*pm, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
> jc...@lycos.com wrote:
> > I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
> > machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
> > Internet Explorer 7. *I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
> > the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
> > sure fire tool I found here:http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...with-fix-ie-ut...

> > When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
> > options. *Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
> > I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
> > kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
> > approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
> > try. *I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
> > and installing vIE8 may not be viable. *Kind of frustrating so I
> > thought I'd post here for any ideas...

> > TIA

> Installing IE8 may actually do the trick

I'd love to hear a story where somebody did just that. Thanks
Rob

jcage@lycos.com <jcage@lycos.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 5:26┬*pm, "LD55ZRA" <LD55...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> It depends on whether or not you have an IE7 on XP or Vista and still on the
>> system. ┬*It doesn't matter whether it is working properly or not because the
>> solution at this link is designed to fix anything on Vista systems:
>>

> Same file is listed for repair of all versions of Windows at:
> http://www.freewarefiles.com/Fix-IE-...ram_52418.html
>
> Hope I can find a way to save my IE7 but it's in no way worth a
> reformat of a hard drive to get it back. Too many other browsers on
> the market nowadays but again, I'd like to save it if I can. Thanks
> for the feedback.

You should understand that after a malware attack, your system is
essentially untrusted. You now know about a gross error, but there
could be other subtle problems with your system that you have not yet
identified. According to a Microsoft spe******t, a reinstall really
is the only way to completely solve this issue.

Re: Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update?

in the background when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?

it)?

jcage@lycos.com

On Mar 22, 10:32*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update?

> subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)? *Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> jc...@lycos.com wrote:
> > I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
> > machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
> > Internet Explorer 7. *I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
> > the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
> > sure fire tool I found here:
> >http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...with-fix-ie-ut...

> > When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
> > options. *Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
> > I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
> > kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
> > approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
> > try. *I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
> > and installing vIE8 may not be viable. *Kind of frustrating so I
> > thought I'd post here for any ideas...

> > TIA

It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'. Being fully patched with a
MSOS tends to be a long and winding road. Currently I'm running
PCTools SpyDoctor w/their firewall and what used to be Advanced
Registry Optimizer (but now is Advanced System Optimizer) that comes
with Malware/Spyware scanners as well, and Avira premium anti-virus.
Everything on the system is working well other than IE7. And as to
having to do a system rebuild, sounds like the popular analogy is
similar to the girl who went out on ya - you can never trust 'em
again... lol I've been thinking about updgrading the HDD on
this system and might do a complete rebuild when that time comes.
Kinda back to that analogy, a question comes back to what files to
back up. If you really wanted to be *sure*, you wouldn't take
anything with ya to the new system... ;-)

It crashed when my kid was using it and apparently the only thing I
had actively running was AVG anti-virus. Whatever kind of attack it
was, decimated the AVG. At the time, I only had one gig of ram so had
my Spyware Doctor shut off because there was some graphics intensive
work I was doing. So kind of a combination of the three perhaps, I
had an older version of Zonalarm firewall running, w/no Spyware Doctor
and AVG when he happened across some site. I've since beefed up the
ram and keep numerous things running in the system tray at once and
frequently run scans and associated updates. For all intents and
purposes, I was in pretty good shape computer-wise until the tough
times caused my kid to move back in with me and then where he went
online, started my woes.
Leonard Grey

Re: Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
"...It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'..."

"...Currently I'm running...what used to be Advanced Registry Optimizer
but now is Advanced System Optimizer)..."

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

jcage@lycos.com wrote:
> [...]

> anything with ya to the new system... ;-)
>
> It crashed when my kid was using it and apparently the only thing I
> had actively running was AVG anti-virus. Whatever kind of attack it
> was, decimated the AVG. At the time, I only had one gig of ram so had
> my Spyware Doctor shut off because there was some graphics intensive
> work I was doing. So kind of a combination of the three perhaps, I
> had an older version of Zonalarm firewall running, w/no Spyware Doctor
> and AVG when he happened across some site. I've since beefed up the
> ram and keep numerous things running in the system tray at once and
> frequently run scans and associated updates. For all intents and
> purposes, I was in pretty good shape computer-wise until the tough
> times caused my kid to move back in with me and then where he went
> online, started my woes.

Re: Corrupt Internet Explorer v 7 - need a fix
Nuke & pave the sucker!