IE8 sometimes not connecting at all

mark

IE8 sometimes not connecting at all
we have 2 computers connected to a Netgear 834GT router. ( used to use a
Draytek 2600, had some problem ) Both machines have XP SP3, all updates ok.
They both have AVG 9, again all updates ok. Sometimes when opening IE it
doesn't connect at all, not even to the IP of the router. Just says try to
connect to..... Other times it opens fine and but you try and open a new tab
it will not connect the new tab but using the original tab is still ok. I
have tried opening IE with add ons disabled, no difference. I have repaired
the winsock, tried turning off the XP firewall, all no difference. If it
doesn't connect all I can do is close IE completely and wait a few minues,
then it will probably open ok.
Any ideas, I really don't know what to try next. Happens on both machines,
identical problem.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 sometimes not connecting at all

"mark" <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we have 2 computers connected to a Netgear 834GT router. ( used to use a
> Draytek 2600, had some problem ) Both machines have XP SP3, all updates
> ok.
> They both have AVG 9, again all updates ok. Sometimes when opening IE it
> doesn't connect at all, not even to the IP of the router. Just says try to
> connect to..... Other times it opens fine and but you try and open a new
> tab
> it will not connect the new tab but using the original tab is still ok. I
> have tried opening IE with add ons disabled, no difference. I have
> repaired
> the winsock, tried turning off the XP firewall, all no difference. If it
> doesn't connect all I can do is close IE completely and wait a few minues,
> then it will probably open ok.
> Any ideas, I really don't know what to try next. Happens on both
> machines,
> identical problem.

Is AVG acting as a proxy? You may have to uninstall it and reconfigure
it to stop doing that.

In a cmd window enter

netstat /abnop TCP

to check if you are building up connections with it.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

mark

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "mark" <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > we have 2 computers connected to a Netgear 834GT router. ( used to use a
> > Draytek 2600, had some problem ) Both machines have XP SP3, all updates
> > ok.
> > They both have AVG 9, again all updates ok. Sometimes when opening IE it
> > doesn't connect at all, not even to the IP of the router. Just says try to
> > connect to..... Other times it opens fine and but you try and open a new
> > tab
> > it will not connect the new tab but using the original tab is still ok. I
> > have tried opening IE with add ons disabled, no difference. I have
> > repaired
> > the winsock, tried turning off the XP firewall, all no difference. If it
> > doesn't connect all I can do is close IE completely and wait a few minues,
> > then it will probably open ok.
> > Any ideas, I really don't know what to try next. Happens on both
> > machines,
> > identical problem.

> Is AVG acting as a proxy? You may have to uninstall it and reconfigure
> it to stop doing that.
>
> In a cmd window enter
>
> netstat /abnop TCP
>
> to check if you are building up connections with it.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
> Robert, thanks for your help. I did this but cannot really understand the results, there is one line "avgemc.exe 0.0.0.0.0. listening 2460 " if that helps! I did forget to specify that its AVG Free, sorry.

johnd126

"mark" wrote:

> we have 2 computers connected to a Netgear 834GT router. ( used to use a
> Draytek 2600, had some problem ) Both machines have XP SP3, all updates ok.
> They both have AVG 9, again all updates ok. Sometimes when opening IE it
> doesn't connect at all, not even to the IP of the router. Just says try to
> connect to..... Other times it opens fine and but you try and open a new tab
> it will not connect the new tab but using the original tab is still ok. I
> have tried opening IE with add ons disabled, no difference. I have repaired
> the winsock, tried turning off the XP firewall, all no difference. If it
> doesn't connect all I can do is close IE completely and wait a few minues,
> then it will probably open ok.
> Any ideas, I really don't know what to try next. Happens on both machines,
> identical problem.

At the times when IE won't connect if you open up a cmd prompt and ping
www.yahoo.com, does it get a reply? If not, it's likely a DNS issue. Try
using openDNS as your dns server (208.67.222.222) and see if it works then.

Also, make sure IE isn't in Offline mode for some reason. (Tools | Work
Offline).

Also, check the Proxy settings (Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN
Settings). If anything is checked in that dialog, try unchecking it.
Duane Hebert

"johnd126" <johnd126@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:024DE114-252F-43CD-A5CE-2904AEBA5C4D@microsoft.com...
>> we have 2 computers connected to a Netgear 834GT router. ( used to use a
>> Draytek 2600, had some problem ) Both machines have XP SP3, all updates ok.
>> They both have AVG 9, again all updates ok. Sometimes when opening IE it
>> doesn't connect at all, not even to the IP of the router. Just says try to
>> connect to..... Other times it opens fine and but you try and open a new tab
>> it will not connect the new tab but using the original tab is still ok. I
>> have tried opening IE with add ons disabled, no difference. I have repaired
>> the winsock, tried turning off the XP firewall, all no difference. If it
>> doesn't connect all I can do is close IE completely and wait a few minues,
>> then it will probably open ok.
>> Any ideas, I really don't know what to try next. Happens on both machines,
>> identical problem.

> At the times when IE won't connect if you open up a cmd prompt and ping
> www.yahoo.com, does it get a reply? If not, it's likely a DNS issue. Try
> using openDNS as your dns server (208.67.222.222) and see if it works then.
>
> Also, make sure IE isn't in Offline mode for some reason. (Tools | Work
> Offline).
>
> Also, check the Proxy settings (Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN
> Settings). If anything is checked in that dialog, try unchecking it.

I have this same problem and have gone through all of the suggested fixes posted
here.
When it doesn't work, I can ping my homepage, and my proxy settings are fine.
It doesn't look like an issue with the DNS server as I can open with Firefox
or other browsers as well. It's only IE8 that has a problem and then intermittently.

I think that it may be related to AVG9 and IE8 somehow. I've talked to AVG and they had me uninstall
their toolbar. That seemed to work for a couple of weeks but now the problem is
back. Any other ideas beside the usual, turn off the add-ons, use a blank start page, reset
settings to default, uninstall/reinstall IE8...

"Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn.com> wrote in message

> I think that it may be related to AVG9 and IE8 somehow. I've talked to
> AVG and they had me uninstall
> their toolbar. That seemed to work for a couple of weeks but now the
> problem is
> back. Any other ideas beside the usual, turn off the add-ons, use a blank
> start page, reset
> settings to default, uninstall/reinstall IE8...

Are you using its proxy? A diagnostic for that (e.g. in a Command Prompt)
is:

netstat /abnop TCP

Some think it is necessary to uninstall and reconfigure the product during
reinstallation instead of trying to disable the associated feature.

Duane Hebert

>> I think that it may be related to AVG9 and IE8 somehow. I've talked to
>> AVG and they had me uninstall
>> their toolbar. That seemed to work for a couple of weeks but now the
>> problem is
>> back. Any other ideas beside the usual, turn off the add-ons, use a
>> blank start page, reset
>> settings to default, uninstall/reinstall IE8...

> Are you using its proxy? A diagnostic for that (e.g. in a Command
> Prompt) is:
>
> netstat /abnop TCP
>
> Some think it is necessary to uninstall and reconfigure the product during
> reinstallation instead of trying to disable the associated feature.

Don't seem to be using its proxy. As for the reinstall, the AVG guys
suggested that I
reinstall with the latest version and gave me instructions to disable the
tool bar and
search.

I haven't uninstalled AVG, reinstalled IE8 and then reinstalled AVG though.
Is there any
evidence that this would help? I'm a bit leery of installing IE8 with no
virus protection.

mark

Re: IE8 sometimes not connecting at all
Thanks for all the replies. I never installed the AVG toolbar so thats
discounted. I can ping Yahoo etc from cmd and collect emails when IE8 is not
connecting but if its a DNS issue should I not be able to connect to the
router setup screen via IE8? I can't even do that, its as though it will not
connect outside the computer. I have run the cmd to check if I have a proxy
but don't really understand all the results, I have AVG Free.