IE8 waits forever opening second tab

Chilternphil

IE8 waits forever opening second tab
Over the last two weeks IE8 has mostly hung when opening a second (or more)
tab from a web link. The web address appears then progress bar crawls towards
completion but never quite makes it. Esc/F5 will sometimes jog it into life.
XP SP3, AVG Free, Zone Alarm free, Spyware Terminator (disabled for real
time scan). All MS updates in and ticked green on history page.
I have also had the MS choice of browsers update (allegedly succesfully
installed) but it has never run. Tried to use System Restore to go back two
weeks but it wouldnt accept any of them; even to the SR point I created just
before beginning the following sequence.
Have tried disabling IE add-ins; starting IE8 as no add-ins from
start/progs; uninstalling and running ccleaner before reinstalling IE8 from
MS website.
Firefox works fine on these same sites. I found elsewhere an instruction to
try a series of RUN regsvr nnnn.dll. This failed when I got to the third
item msjava.dll which couldn't be found.
[I posted my original question erroneously in someone elses and I apologise,
and hope this is started as a new question.]

Re: IE8 waits forever opening second tab
Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

Were AVG and/or ZA running in the background when you installed IE8?

> ...Tried to use System Restore to go back two
> weeks but it wouldnt accept any of them; even to the SR point I created
> just
> before beginning the following sequence.

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

Chilternphil wrote:
> Over the last two weeks IE8 has mostly hung when opening a second (or
> more)
> tab from a web link. The web address appears then progress bar crawls
> towards completion but never quite makes it. Esc/F5 will sometimes jog it
> into life. XP SP3, AVG Free, Zone Alarm free, Spyware Terminator (disabled
> for real time scan). All MS updates in and ticked green on history page.
> I have also had the MS choice of browsers update (allegedly succesfully
> installed) but it has never run. Tried to use System Restore to go back
> two
> weeks but it wouldnt accept any of them; even to the SR point I created
> just
> before beginning the following sequence.
> Have tried disabling IE add-ins; starting IE8 as no add-ins from
> start/progs; uninstalling and running ccleaner before reinstalling IE8
> from
> MS website.
> Firefox works fine on these same sites. I found elsewhere an instruction
> try a series of RUN regsvr nnnn.dll. This failed when I got to the third
> item msjava.dll which couldn't be found.
> [I posted my original question erroneously in someone elses and I
> apologise,
> and hope this is started as a new question.]

+Bob+

Re: IE8 waits forever opening second tab
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:45:02 -0700, Chilternphil
<Chilternphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Over the last two weeks IE8 has mostly hung when opening a second (or more)
>tab from a web link. The web address appears then progress bar crawls towards
>completion but never quite makes it. Esc/F5 will sometimes jog it into life.
>XP SP3, AVG Free, Zone Alarm free, Spyware Terminator (disabled for real
>time scan). All MS updates in and ticked green on history page.
>I have also had the MS choice of browsers update (allegedly succesfully
>installed) but it has never run. Tried to use System Restore to go back two
>weeks but it wouldnt accept any of them; even to the SR point I created just
>before beginning the following sequence.
>Have tried disabling IE add-ins; starting IE8 as no add-ins from
>start/progs; uninstalling and running ccleaner before reinstalling IE8 from
>MS website.
>Firefox works fine on these same sites. I found elsewhere an instruction to
>try a series of RUN regsvr nnnn.dll. This failed when I got to the third
>item msjava.dll which couldn't be found.
>[I posted my original question erroneously in someone elses and I apologise,
>and hope this is started as a new question.]

Try disabling Zone Alarm and see if the problem goes away. What OS are
you running?

+Bob+

+Bob+ wrote:
>> ...XP SP3, AVG Free, Zone Alarm free, Spyware Terminator (disabled
>> for real time scan)...

> ...What OS are you running?

What part of "XP SP3" don't you understand?