running Flash using IE8 on x64 system

Dwayne

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I
will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.

By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32
(Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of
IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the
Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I know flash
doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32 version
of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had bad
luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

Thanks.

Tom Lake

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system

"Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2
> 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64
> Edition with Service Pack 2.
>
> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am
> going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system.
> Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64
> (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a
> shortcut to IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32 version
> of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any changes unless
you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.

> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus software to use?
> I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had bad luck with those
> programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses (virii?)
that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.

Tom Lake

> [...]

> (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a
> shortcut to IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32 version
> of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any changes unless
you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.

> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus software to use?
> I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had bad luck with those
> programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses (virii?)
that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.

Tom Lake

Dwayne

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
Tom,

Where can I download Microsoft's free Security Essentials anti-virus
software?

Thanks.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
>> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).
>> I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
>> system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which
>> will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the
>> x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory)
>> version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to
>> IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
>> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get
>> the x32 version of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

> The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any
> changes unless
> you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.
>>
>> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
>> software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
>> bad luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

> I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses
> (virii?)
> that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.
>
> Tom Lake

Dwayne

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
Tom,

Where can I download Microsoft's free Security Essentials anti-virus
software?

Thanks.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
>> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).
>> I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
>> system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which
>> will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the
>> x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory)
>> version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to
>> IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
>> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get
>> the x32 version of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

> The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any
> changes unless
> you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.
>>
>> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
>> software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
>> bad luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

> I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses
> (virii?)
> that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.
>
> Tom Lake

Dwayne

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
Tom,

Where can I download Microsoft's free Security Essentials anti-virus
software?

Thanks.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
>> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).
>> I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
>> system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which
>> will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the
>> x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory)
>> version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to
>> IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
>> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get
>> the x32 version of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

> The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any
> changes unless
> you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.
>>
>> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
>> software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
>> bad luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

> I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses
> (virii?)
> that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.
>
> Tom Lake

Dwayne

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
Tom,

Where can I download Microsoft's free Security Essentials anti-virus
software?

Thanks.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
>> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).
>> I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
>> system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which
>> will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the
>> x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory)
>> version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to
>> IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version. I
>> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get
>> the x32 version of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

> The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS. You don't have to make any
> changes unless
> you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.
>>
>> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
>> software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
>> bad luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

> I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It actually detected viruses
> (virii?)
> that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.
>
> Tom Lake

Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
[Crosspost to Win 64-bit General newsgroup]

> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
> system.

By default, IE6 will be installed (unless IE7 was OEM-preinstalled).

> I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
> install IE8 on my system.

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...c-9531f4feef47
[1]

Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared to
install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB978207). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

> Does the windows update install both the x32
> (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version
> of
> IE8?

If you install IE8 via WU or use the correct installer when installing
manually, yes.

> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
> software to use?

Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx

===============
[1] NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
computer when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows
is reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP x64 SP2 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe