Favicons in Internet Explorer

Toni

Favicons in Internet Explorer
I've been searching, but can't find a good answer. What are the requirements for the
favicon.ico icon for Internet Explorer across OS and browser versions?

Microsoft states that it should include 16x16 and 32x32:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...rect_Size_Icon

Can anyone tell me about resolution support - 4bit or 8bit - across WinXP, Vista, Win7
etc?

Don Varnau

Re: Favicons in Internet Explorer
Hi,
I have a folder of saved Favicons.
The Favicon file for McAfee contains 9 icons:

Three sizes:
16x16
32x32
48x48

Each of these sizes comes in
16 colors
256 colors
True colors

Other icons in that folder are 32x32 or 16x16 (only McAfee has so many
sizes)
Color depth ranges from 16 color to True color, with no apparent rhyme or
reason.
Some very basic icons which obviously only contain a few colors were created
in true color.

These icons all look the same in IE6 (when they display) IE7, IE8 or
Firefox.
Size seems to be important- color depth doesn't. ;-)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Toni" <Toni@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]

reason.
Some very basic icons which obviously only contain a few colors were created
in true color.

These icons all look the same in IE6 (when they display) IE7, IE8 or
Firefox.
Size seems to be important- color depth doesn't. ;-)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Toni" <Toni@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I've been searching, but can't find a good answer. What are the

requirements for the
> favicon.ico icon for Internet Explorer across OS and browser versions?
>
> Microsoft states that it should include 16x16 and 32x32:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...rect_Size_Icon

> Can anyone tell me about resolution support - 4bit or 8bit - across WinXP,

Toni

Re: Favicons in Internet Explorer

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote...
> Hi,
> I have a folder of saved Favicons.
> The Favicon file for McAfee contains 9 icons:
>
> Three sizes:
> 16x16
> 32x32
> 48x48
>
> Each of these sizes comes in
> 16 colors
> 256 colors
> True colors
>
> Other icons in that folder are 32x32 or 16x16 (only McAfee has so many
> sizes)
> Color depth ranges from 16 color to True color, with no apparent rhyme or
> reason.
> Some very basic icons which obviously only contain a few colors were created
> in true color.
>
> These icons all look the same in IE6 (when they display) IE7, IE8 or
> Firefox.
> Size seems to be important- color depth doesn't. ;-)

When you write size is important (yuk yuk!), I know 16x16 shows in IE, does 32x32 show
in IE?

And it seems that if I set to 256 colors, that is fine for all?

(.ico files can contain icons of different size & color depth in the same file. I have a
complex color icon that I'm trying to reduce the file size of).

Toni

> When you write size is important (yuk yuk!), I know 16x16 shows in IE,

does 32x32 show
> in IE?
>
> And it seems that if I set to 256 colors, that is fine for all?
>
> (.ico files can contain icons of different size & color depth in the same

file. I have a
> complex color icon that I'm trying to reduce the file size of).

Hi,
Considering how small the icon will be, even if used on the desktop, I can't
see the value of true colors/24-bit.

The McAfee favicon (9 versions) is 25 kb- others run from 1 kb- 8 kb. A
16x16 icon will look bad if enlarged for use on the desktop. If you're
concerned with file size, I'd try a 16x16 and a 32x32, both 256 colors.
Check those icons out on different monitors/resolutions- see if there's a
problem.

Don