Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista

Livia

Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
Hello,
I use Windows Vista Business SP2. I have problems with IE8 when I start
Windows Update. It warns me that I have 2 important updates that cannot be
instaled.
rob^_^

Re: Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
Hi Livia,

Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated websites list from
Microsoft"

Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f5de6a37d5a6

and install the update manually....

Brief Description
This update helps make websites designed for older browsers look better in
Internet Explorer 8. To take advantage of this update, you must have
“Include updated website lists from Microsoft” selected in Internet Explorer’s
Compatibility View Settings.

Regards.

This update probably contains important changes to Compatibility View for
Google web sites. You may be having problems when viewing google or
youtube... this update will fix that.

rob^_^ <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Livia,
>
> Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated websites list from
> Microsoft"
>
> Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f5de6a37d5a6
>
> and install the update manually....

I recently downloaded the .xls file that has that site list, and it does
not seem like it is a good idea to install it.
It apparently is just a top-xxx of sites where users of IE8 clicked on
the compatabilty view button (which apparently phones home). Maybe
they clicked out of curiosity, did not know what the button was for,
mis-clicked when they wanted to click something else, or whatever.
There are many sites in that list that are just popular sites, not sites
requiring compatability view.
Rob

Re: Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
rob^_^ <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Livia,
>
> Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated websites list from
> Microsoft"
>
> Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f5de6a37d5a6
>
> and install the update manually....

I recently downloaded the .xls file that has that site list, and it does
not seem like it is a good idea to install it.
It apparently is just a top-xxx of sites where users of IE8 clicked on
the compatabilty view button (which apparently phones home). Maybe
they clicked out of curiosity, did not know what the button was for,
mis-clicked when they wanted to click something else, or whatever.
There are many sites in that list that are just popular sites, not sites
requiring compatability view.
Rob

Re: Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
rob^_^ <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Livia,
>
> Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated websites list from
> Microsoft"
>
> Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f5de6a37d5a6
>
> and install the update manually....

I recently downloaded the .xls file that has that site list, and it does
not seem like it is a good idea to install it.
It apparently is just a top-xxx of sites where users of IE8 clicked on
the compatabilty view button (which apparently phones home). Maybe
they clicked out of curiosity, did not know what the button was for,
mis-clicked when they wanted to click something else, or whatever.
There are many sites in that list that are just popular sites, not sites
requiring compatability view.
Rob

Re: Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
rob^_^ <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Livia,
>
> Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated websites list from
> Microsoft"
>
> Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f5de6a37d5a6
>
> and install the update manually....

I recently downloaded the .xls file that has that site list, and it does
not seem like it is a good idea to install it.
It apparently is just a top-xxx of sites where users of IE8 clicked on
the compatabilty view button (which apparently phones home). Maybe
they clicked out of curiosity, did not know what the button was for,
mis-clicked when they wanted to click something else, or whatever.
There are many sites in that list that are just popular sites, not sites
requiring compatability view.
rob^_^

Re: Error KB978506 when updaiting my Vista
Hi Rob,

I appreciate that, but also there are users complaining of not being able to
access sites because of Compatibility issues.. Exactly that... popular sites
like google and msn which are included in the list.

The idea is that users can either choose to use the Compatibility View
button to choose which sites require adjustment or to use the list from MS
to pre-adjust things for compatibility before they visit a site.

There is nothing sinister or an issue with a privacy here. Google Chrome
does the same.
No Compatibility data is collected from users.

see the privacy statement here -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/privacy.aspx

There is a report a web page issue Addon that is used by a small number of
enthusiasts, but generally only the top 500 global web sites are of use to
be included in the Compatibility View list.

I don't care if Livia cares to keep the option checked after she downloads
the update, it is up to her.

You are incorrect to assume that MS is continually recording our surfing for
the purpose of compiling the Compatibility list.
The Privacy statement outlines what information is collected (bad addons
etc) and how users can disable those feedback reporting options.

zip to do with ensuring sites display in IE8 without user intervention
(pressing the Compatibility View button)

Regards.