IE8 gives"stopped working" message when I close tabs

Diana S

IE8 gives"stopped working" message when I close tabs
I've seen a lot of people complaining about this but no fixes. When I close
an open explorer window, I get a message that IE has stopped working and it
is searching for a fix, then a box to close the program. So far, I have reset
all the defaults for IE8 and tried using IE without any add-ons. It works
correctly without add-ons. The only changes to the computer in the last few
days have been: download a driver scanner which installed the Ask add-on,
updated something from Adobe, and the automatic Windows update ran.

Any ideas where the problem came from?
--
Win 7, IE8, Fujitsu notebook
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 gives"stopped working" message when I close tabs
"It works correctly without add-ons."

That tells you that one of your add-ons is the cause of your problem.
Time to follow the advice that's been repeated in this newsgroup over
and over: Start IE in 'no add-ons' mode, then enable one add-on at a
time until you discover which add-on(s) cause trouble.

Next, ask the author of the add-on if they have a version of their
product that is compatible with your version of Internet Explorer.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Diana S wrote:
> I've seen a lot of people complaining about this but no fixes. When I close
> an open explorer window, I get a message that IE has stopped working and it
> is searching for a fix, then a box to close the program. So far, I have reset
> all the defaults for IE8 and tried using IE without any add-ons. It works
> correctly without add-ons. The only changes to the computer in the last few
> days have been: download a driver scanner which installed the Ask add-on,
> updated something from Adobe, and the automatic Windows update ran.
>
> Any ideas where the problem came from?

Re: IE8 gives"stopped working" message when I close tabs
(only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) and has been
extended until 02 July 2010. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows
Vista in a non-domain environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043