IE8 Not loading pages at first request

Bernie

IE8 Not loading pages at first request
IE8 will not load web pages at first request - If I click on a link or a
Favourite menu item, it opens a IE window and shows the correct address in
the address bar, and at the bottom says 'Done' but the page is blank. The
only way I can get the page to load is to click in the address bar, and hit
the enter key on my keyboard - therefore asking IE8 to try again. This
always works. So why is IE8 not loading the page at first time of asking -
why am I having to force it to try a second time?
This is happening with many different sites - public and secure, and for
many of our company's users. We are running Windows XP. I have installed
all available updates for IE8. Pop-Up Blocker is off, Smart Screen filter is
off. I've tried IE8 with addons disabled and there is no change. It even
effects websites in trusted sites zone. Any ideas?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Not loading pages at first request

"Bernie" <Bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IE8 will not load web pages at first request - If I click on a link or a
> Favourite menu item, it opens a IE window and shows the correct address in
> the address bar, and at the bottom says 'Done' but the page is blank. The
> only way I can get the page to load is to click in the address bar, and
> hit
> the enter key on my keyboard - therefore asking IE8 to try again. This
> always works. So why is IE8 not loading the page at first time of
> asking -
> why am I having to force it to try a second time?

> This is happening with many different sites - public and secure, and for
> many of our company's users.

> We are running Windows XP. I have installed
> all available updates for IE8. Pop-Up Blocker is off, Smart Screen filter
> is
> off. I've tried IE8 with addons disabled and there is no change. It even
> effects websites in trusted sites zone. Any ideas?

Give an example. What you are describing can happen when a site uses
redirection and you have something which inhibits it.

---

> [...]

> hit
> the enter key on my keyboard - therefore asking IE8 to try again. This
> always works. So why is IE8 not loading the page at first time of
> asking -
> why am I having to force it to try a second time?

> This is happening with many different sites - public and secure, and for
> many of our company's users.

> We are running Windows XP. I have installed
> all available updates for IE8. Pop-Up Blocker is off, Smart Screen filter
> is
> off. I've tried IE8 with addons disabled and there is no change. It even
> effects websites in trusted sites zone. Any ideas?

Give an example. What you are describing can happen when a site uses
redirection and you have something which inhibits it.

---

Re: IE8 Not loading pages at first request
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?

Bernie wrote:
> IE8 will not load web pages at first request - If I click on a link or a
> Favourite menu item, it opens a IE window and shows the correct address in
> the address bar, and at the bottom says 'Done' but the page is blank. The
> only way I can get the page to load is to click in the address bar, and
> hit
> the enter key on my keyboard - therefore asking IE8 to try again. This
> always works. So why is IE8 not loading the page at first time of
> asking -
> why am I having to force it to try a second time?
> This is happening with many different sites - public and secure, and for
> many of our company's users. We are running Windows XP. I have installed
> all available updates for IE8. Pop-Up Blocker is off, Smart Screen filter
> is off. I've tried IE8 with addons disabled and there is no change. It
> even effects websites in trusted sites zone. Any ideas?

Bernie

Re: IE8 Not loading pages at first request
Windows XP SP3, IE8.
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Symantec Corporate Edition 10 with current subscription/virus
definitions. No client-side spyware or firewall apps running on PCs during
upgrade, only SAV.
4) No.
To clarify, this problem is happening with most of our corportate computers
(Dell Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops) and when using a variety of
websites.
I also have this problem on my home PC (which is also Windows XP SP3) after
upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
On my Windows 7 PC which came with IE8 preinstalled, it doesn't happen.