First Running of a Browser after Starting the Machine

Jeff Strickland

First Running of a Browser after Starting the Machine
Start the machine.

Open the browser, IE8 because this is the IE forum, but any browser will
give the condition I want to correct.

The homepage loads and goes to the bottom. If I grab the Scroll bar or roll
the mouse to the top of hte page, the page returns to the bottom. Depending
on the browser and homepage that the browser is set to (MSN Explorer and the
MSN Homepage), if the cursor is put into the Search Box, the box opens (it's
a dropdown) and the list of previous searches begins scrolling very fast and
jumps up and down in no apparent order. Nonne of the previous searches can
be selected -- that's not entirely true, you can select one if you are very
fast, but the list continues to scroll up and down and your selection is
ultimately ignored and the computer makes its onw selections over and over
again.

I can open another browser and the behavior repeats itself there.

If I type in a new URL and go to it, the behavior stops, and the browser
works -- all browsers work -- correctly. In IE8, which is not the preferred
browser of the person with the problem, I can open a new Tab and the
behavior stops.

If I leave the machine running, the problem does not repeat. If I shut the
machine down, then the problem reappears when it is turned on again.

Why would all browsers, IE8, MSN Explorer, Google Chrome, and FireFox, go to
the bottom of the Home Page and insist on staying there no matter where the
scroll bar is positioned? (The page moves with the scroll bar and the mouse
wheel, but returns to the bottom when the scroll bar is released or the
mouse wheel stops.)

Dan

Re: First Running of a Browser after Starting the Machine

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Start the machine.
>
> Open the browser, IE8 because this is the IE forum, but any browser will
> give the condition I want to correct.
>
> The homepage loads and goes to the bottom. If I grab the Scroll bar or
> roll the mouse to the top of hte page, the page returns to the bottom.
> Depending on the browser and homepage that the browser is set to (MSN
> Explorer and the MSN Homepage), if the cursor is put into the Search Box,
> the box opens (it's a dropdown) and the list of previous searches begins
> scrolling very fast and jumps up and down in no apparent order. Nonne of
> the previous searches can be selected -- that's not entirely true, you can
> select one if you are very fast, but the list continues to scroll up and
> down and your selection is ultimately ignored and the computer makes its
> onw selections over and over again.
>
> I can open another browser and the behavior repeats itself there.
>
> If I type in a new URL and go to it, the behavior stops, and the browser
> works -- all browsers work -- correctly. In IE8, which is not the
> preferred browser of the person with the problem, I can open a new Tab and
> the behavior stops.
>
> If I leave the machine running, the problem does not repeat. If I shut the
> machine down, then the problem reappears when it is turned on again.
>

> Why would all browsers, IE8, MSN Explorer, Google Chrome, and FireFox, go
> to the bottom of the Home Page and insist on staying there no matter where
> the scroll bar is positioned? (The page moves with the scroll bar and the
> mouse wheel, but returns to the bottom when the scroll bar is released or
> the mouse wheel stops.)

You have something sending the down arrow character repeatedly. Could be a
dodgy keyboard, a dodgy keyboard driver, or a 3rd party app that is doing
this. Given that it's happening in all browsers and not just IE, it's not an
IE issue.

Have you got StickyKeys enabled? I've not seen this specific issue with it,
but have had problems with Ctrl and Scroll locks that were traced back to
StickyKeys in Windows.

Do you have a KVM switch? Or any other hardware between the keyboard and the
PC? Or a dongle of any kind used as a security device by another
application?

--
Dan

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Start the machine.
>>
>> Open the browser, IE8 because this is the IE forum, but any browser will
>> give the condition I want to correct.
>>
>> The homepage loads and goes to the bottom. If I grab the Scroll bar or
>> roll the mouse to the top of hte page, the page returns to the bottom.
>> Depending on the browser and homepage that the browser is set to (MSN
>> Explorer and the MSN Homepage), if the cursor is put into the Search Box,
>> the box opens (it's a dropdown) and the list of previous searches begins
>> scrolling very fast and jumps up and down in no apparent order. Nonne of
>> the previous searches can be selected -- that's not entirely true, you
>> can select one if you are very fast, but the list continues to scroll up
>> and down and your selection is ultimately ignored and the computer makes
>> its onw selections over and over again.
>>
>> I can open another browser and the behavior repeats itself there.
>>
>> If I type in a new URL and go to it, the behavior stops, and the browser
>> works -- all browsers work -- correctly. In IE8, which is not the
>> preferred browser of the person with the problem, I can open a new Tab
>> and the behavior stops.
>>
>> If I leave the machine running, the problem does not repeat. If I shut
>> the machine down, then the problem reappears when it is turned on again.
>>

>> Why would all browsers, IE8, MSN Explorer, Google Chrome, and FireFox, go
>> to the bottom of the Home Page and insist on staying there no matter
>> where the scroll bar is positioned? (The page moves with the scroll bar
>> and the mouse wheel, but returns to the bottom when the scroll bar is
>> released or the mouse wheel stops.)
>>

> You have something sending the down arrow character repeatedly. Could be a
> dodgy keyboard, a dodgy keyboard driver, or a 3rd party app that is doing
> this. Given that it's happening in all browsers and not just IE, it's not
> an IE issue.
>
> Have you got StickyKeys enabled? I've not seen this specific issue with
> it, but have had problems with Ctrl and Scroll locks that were traced back
> to StickyKeys in Windows.
>
> Do you have a KVM switch? Or any other hardware between the keyboard and
> the PC? Or a dongle of any kind used as a security device by another
> application?

One thing that seems to have changed the behavior is that IE was set to
125%. When I set IE to 100%, I'm not certain (can't remember for sure), but
I think it made IE settle down. I know for sure that when I open a second
tab in IE, or navigate away from the initial Homepage, the problem is
resolved for all of the browsers. I can even return to the initial Homepage
and the problem is resolved.

Jeff Strickland

> [...]

> this. Given that it's happening in all browsers and not just IE, it's not
> an IE issue.
>
> Have you got StickyKeys enabled? I've not seen this specific issue with
> it, but have had problems with Ctrl and Scroll locks that were traced back
> to StickyKeys in Windows.
>
> Do you have a KVM switch? Or any other hardware between the keyboard and
> the PC? Or a dongle of any kind used as a security device by another
> application?

One thing that seems to have changed the behavior is that IE was set to
125%. When I set IE to 100%, I'm not certain (can't remember for sure), but
I think it made IE settle down. I know for sure that when I open a second
tab in IE, or navigate away from the initial Homepage, the problem is
resolved for all of the browsers. I can even return to the initial Homepage

rob^_^

Re: First Running of a Browser after Starting the Machine
There was a similar issue reported during the IE8 beta phase. It was traced
to a third-party program (a graphics program I think). A google web search
may help you track down the threads as they have long since been removed
from the IE8Beta NG.

A DXDiag on your machine may also be prudent.

Regards.