IE8 not downloading ZIP files

Bernard Cordier

IE8 not downloading ZIP files
Hello,
I have a problem with my web site.
People complain they can't download zip archives with IE 8. Winzip find them
"corrupted".
My archives are OK. I checked every one of them.
The download is OK with Firefox 3.6 or by FTP software.
You can try yourself with this page (in French) : http://tinyurl.com/ykchprd

Thanks.
--
Bernard Cordier
Ressources STG : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/bernard.cordier

Re: IE8 not downloading ZIP files
> I have a problem with my web site.

Developer-specific resources include:

MSDN IE Development Forum (post such questions here instead)
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...opment/threads

Tip: When posting in Developer forums, always include a link to your web
site or test pages in your first post.

IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

Page Validators:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Bernard Cordier wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with my web site.
> People complain they can't download zip archives with IE 8. Winzip find
> them
> "corrupted".
> My archives are OK. I checked every one of them.
> The download is OK with Firefox 3.6 or by FTP software.
> You can try yourself with this page (in French) :
> http://tinyurl.com/ykchprd
>
> Thanks.

Donald Anadell

"Bernard Cordier" <cordier-bernard@wanamou.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a problem with my web site.
> People complain they can't download zip archives with IE 8. Winzip find
> them "corrupted".
> My archives are OK. I checked every one of them.
> The download is OK with Firefox 3.6 or by FTP software.
> You can try yourself with this page (in French) :
> http://tinyurl.com/ykchprd

I only tested one of your RAR files, "Adour Sport 2008.rar". I was able to
download it and view it in "WinZip" without problems in both IE6 and IE8. I
tried it both saving to the Desktop(rightclick save target as) to open and
opening it directly(click OPEN button in dialog box), in both instances in
both Browsers it worked flawlessly.

Was there a particular RAR file on that site that is exhibiting this
problem, as I'm on a dialup connection and the files are quite large I did
not test them all.

You gain some insight from the following discussion about this issue, as
reported with IE7:

[IE] IE7 corrupting ZIP files. Firefox does not:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r176...refox-does-not

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> [...]

> My archives are OK. I checked every one of them.
> The download is OK with Firefox 3.6 or by FTP software.
> You can try yourself with this page (in French) :
> http://tinyurl.com/ykchprd

I only tested one of your RAR files, "Adour Sport 2008.rar". I was able to
download it and view it in "WinZip" without problems in both IE6 and IE8. I
tried it both saving to the Desktop(rightclick save target as) to open and
opening it directly(click OPEN button in dialog box), in both instances in
both Browsers it worked flawlessly.

Was there a particular RAR file on that site that is exhibiting this
problem, as I'm on a dialup connection and the files are quite large I did
not test them all.

You gain some insight from the following discussion about this issue, as
reported with IE7:

[IE] IE7 corrupting ZIP files. Firefox does not:

undisclosed

Re: IE8 not downloading ZIP files

Hi,

I don't have a fix for you but I sure would like to know the answer to
your question. I have exactly the same problem. I can download all the
zips in FireFox, Chrome, Safari, Opera but not for the life of me can I
get them down in IE.

Funny thing is, that I can get all other zips from other sites but not
from mine. My guess is that it might be a sharing issue on the FTP but
it still doesn't explain why it would only affect IE.

--
JulesMI