Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8

craigmill@sky.com

Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
Hi, I have just updated my XP netbook to IE8 and discovered that the
Menu and Favorites bar are black - the drop down menus are there but
black on black.

After a bit of investigation I discovered that my display theme had
changed from Windows Classic to Windows Classic (modified). If I then
change it back to XP Classic I can see the Menu and Favorites bars
again for a few restarts the the black bars recurred.
I then tried using the Windows XP theme and that worked once but the
black menu and favorites bar appeared back again - when I checked my
display theme it was Window XP ( modified).

I appreciate that this may not be an IE problem but this is where the
problem is seen!

According to Google this is a wide spread problem but I cannot find a
solution - is there one?

Raymond

rob^_^

Re: Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
Hi Craig,

Explained here

http://iecustomizer.com/Resources/Ar...kToolbars.aspx

Regards.

<craigmill@sky.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have just updated my XP netbook to IE8 and discovered that the
> Menu and Favorites bar are black - the drop down menus are there but
> black on black.
>
> After a bit of investigation I discovered that my display theme had
> changed from Windows Classic to Windows Classic (modified). If I then
> change it back to XP Classic I can see the Menu and Favorites bars
> again for a few restarts the the black bars recurred.
> I then tried using the Windows XP theme and that worked once but the
> black menu and favorites bar appeared back again - when I checked my
> display theme it was Window XP ( modified).
>
> I appreciate that this may not be an IE problem but this is where the
> problem is seen!
>
> According to Google this is a wide spread problem but I cannot find a
> solution - is there one?
>
> Raymond

Re: Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
Now, /that/ is a keeper!

rob^_^ wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> Explained here
>
> http://iecustomizer.com/Resources/Ar...kToolbars.aspx
>
> Regards.
>
> <craigmill@sky.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I have just updated my XP netbook to IE8 and discovered that the
>> Menu and Favorites bar are black - the drop down menus are there but
>> black on black.
>>
>> After a bit of investigation I discovered that my display theme had
>> changed from Windows Classic to Windows Classic (modified). If I then
>> change it back to XP Classic I can see the Menu and Favorites bars
>> again for a few restarts the the black bars recurred.
>> I then tried using the Windows XP theme and that worked once but the
>> black menu and favorites bar appeared back again - when I checked my
>> display theme it was Window XP ( modified).
>>
>> I appreciate that this may not be an IE problem but this is where the
>> problem is seen!
>>
>> According to Google this is a wide spread problem but I cannot find a
>> solution - is there one?
>>
>> Raymond

craigmill@sky.com

Re: Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
Rob - many thanks for your reply.

I had seen most of these scenarios but not the changes to the Advance
Appearance!

I have now used this with three boots without problem, but as many
have reported - black menus can recur after several days - so I will
give it a week or two and advise if it has been sucessful or not!

Again - many thanks!

Raymond

rob^_^

Re: Black Menu and Favorites bar in IE8
It will reoccur because of a third-party desktop themeing software (or one
of your custom Desktop Themes) is reapplying a defective theme each time the
computer is rebooted or the Desktop is Refreshed...

Startdoc's Windows Blinds or AlienGuise (may come pre-installed on some
Alienware computers). You need to disable these programs in either your
Windows Startup list or your Programs>Startup folder. to stop them loading
and running at windows startup time.

If you don't have any programs like these installed and the problem
re-occurs then it will be your current Custom Desktop theme.