Autocomplete not working on https sites (IE8 XP SP3)

Fred

Autocomplete not working on https sites (IE8 XP SP3)
My mother wants IE8 to remember what she puts in forms, but not her
passwords. Unfortunately, AutoComplete refuses to save anything on
https pages, so it makes it mostly useless. Is this correct behavior,
or is there a way to make IE8 save forms on https pages?

This is on XP SP3.
rob^_^

Re: Autocomplete not working on https sites (IE8 XP SP3)
Hi Fred,

It depends, the web site developers can stop IE browsers from remembering
autocomplete passwords and Usernames. Bank sites usually do this, in fact I
would be suspicious of any https page offering autocomplete usernames and
passwords. When enabled on web pages IE's autocomplete does not save
passwords from https pages.

Tell her to write down her credentials in a small notebook and keep it in a
secure place (away from her children(you) and visitors who may also be using
the computer). You would not leave your wallet or purse next to the front
door would you? Even saving a username in autocomplete may be enough for a
savvy hacker or visitor to make good guesses about passwords. Use 'strong'
passwords that are hard for anyone to guess. You may only have one or two
bank accounts that you want to access, so the inconvenience is small for the
security and protection it offers. It could cost your mum her life savings.

You could use a form filling addon like Roboform, but I do not recommend
using any form filling addons.

I trust your interest is in the security of your mothers computer. Please
make sure that she gets to read our replies to make her own decision.

Regards.

"Fred" <slerinflor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My mother wants IE8 to remember what she puts in forms, but not her
> passwords. Unfortunately, AutoComplete refuses to save anything on
> https pages, so it makes it mostly useless. Is this correct behavior,
> or is there a way to make IE8 save forms on https pages?
>
> This is on XP SP3.

Re: Autocomplete not working on https sites (IE8 XP SP3)
Would Mom be concerned if her bank cashed a check of hers with a forged
signature?