Pop Up Windows

Larry

Pop Up Windows
Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker
does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them?
--
Larry
Jeff Strickland

Re: Pop Up Windows

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker
> does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them?
> --
> Larry

You don't.

They LOOK like a pop up to you, but the designer that wrote the page made
them not conform to the rules that define them as a pop up sepecifically to
avoid the blocker. Welcome to a world where standards can be ignored.

rob^_^

Re: Pop Up Windows
Hi Larry,

Add those sites to your Restricted Sites zone. This will disable Active
Scripting by default and some other functions on those sites may not work.

A side note.. ensure you have the Default Security Zone settings for all
Zones as Popup blocking is also determined by the zone that the site loads
in.

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

Regards.

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker
> does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them?
> --
> Larry

rob^_^

Re: Pop Up Windows
And just check also that those sites are not in your IE Popup blocker white
list.

Tools>Popup blocker>Popup Blocker Settings

If you have other Popup blockers installed (Google toolbar), they also have
white lists. Usually I turn off other popup blockers and only use the
built-in IE popup blocker.

Regards.

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker
> does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them?
> --
> Larry

VanguardLH

Re: Pop Up Windows
Larry wrote:

> Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker
> does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them?

Those aren't popups. That content is part of the web page so it is not a
popup. CSS scripting is used to present content within the web page with
the ad content. It is you that interprets the display as a separate dialog
or window but that's not what is actually happening.

The only way to disable those pseudo-popups is to disable scripting;
however, permanently disabling scripting will result in the loss of much
functionality at a vast number of web sites. You probably don't want to
disable scripting in IE just because of a few rude sites. You could add the
rude sites to the Restricted Sites list which disables scripting for their
web pages. However, you might find that the rude site becomes unusable when
you disable scripting there. They probably use scripting for more than just
their fake popup content.