problem with back button

chesjak

problem with back button
Hi

I am using IE7 with XP pro.

Just recently when I want to go back to a previous page and I press the
"back" button, nothing happens until I press it twice in quick succession. I
dont have a problem with any other programme so it definitely is an IE
problem.

It is one of those problems that you slowly come round to realising there is
a problem so I could not really put a time and date on when it started.

Can anyone throw any light on this and if so how do I correct it?

Many thanks
regards
Dan

Re: problem with back button

"chesjak" <chesjak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am using IE7 with XP pro.
>
> Just recently when I want to go back to a previous page and I press the
> "back" button, nothing happens until I press it twice in quick succession.
> dont have a problem with any other programme so it definitely is an IE
> problem.
>
> It is one of those problems that you slowly come round to realising there
> is
> a problem so I could not really put a time and date on when it started.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this and if so how do I correct it?
>
> Many thanks
> regards

I've only ever noticed this where you end up on a site that uses a
redirection intermediary page but does do it using the HTTP 301/302 response
codes. For instance, you click on a link which returns a page that includes
HTML with an immediate redirect to another URL, and IE switches to that
second URL. You might not notice the redirection happening if it's quick,
but it's there - when you click back IE is correctly taking you back to the
this is why you need to click back twice quickly, to bypass the intermediate
page. If this is what's happening, IE is working correctly.

--
Dan

Jeff Strickland

Re: problem with back button

"chesjak" <chesjak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am using IE7 with XP pro.
>
> Just recently when I want to go back to a previous page and I press the
> "back" button, nothing happens until I press it twice in quick succession.
> dont have a problem with any other programme so it definitely is an IE
> problem.
>
> It is one of those problems that you slowly come round to realising there
> is
> a problem so I could not really put a time and date on when it started.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this and if so how do I correct it?
>
> Many thanks
> regards

That's not IE, especially if it happens on some pages but not others. Some
sites like to capture the audience and hang on to it. There are two ways the
audience can get away, Back button multiple times or close the window and
start again.

Jeff Strickland

Re: problem with back button

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "chesjak" <chesjak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using IE7 with XP pro.
>>
>> Just recently when I want to go back to a previous page and I press the
>> "back" button, nothing happens until I press it twice in quick
>> succession. I
>> dont have a problem with any other programme so it definitely is an IE
>> problem.
>>
>> It is one of those problems that you slowly come round to realising there
>> is
>> a problem so I could not really put a time and date on when it started.
>>
>> Can anyone throw any light on this and if so how do I correct it?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> regards

> I've only ever noticed this where you end up on a site that uses a
> redirection intermediary page but does do it using the HTTP 301/302
> response codes. For instance, you click on a link which returns a page
> that includes HTML with an immediate redirect to another URL, and IE
> switches to that second URL. You might not notice the redirection
> happening if it's quick, but it's there - when you click back IE is
> correctly taking you back to the previous page, but that page just
> redirects to the one you were on again; this is why you need to click back
> twice quickly, to bypass the intermediate page. If this is what's
> happening, IE is working correctly.

REDIRECT, I like that. If you are on Page A, and want to go to Page B, but
Page B redirects you to Page C, then the Back Button out of Page C will take
you to Page B, which will redirect you to Page C again. The way to break
away is to Back button to Page B, then Back button again to Page A.

Good analogy.

Re: problem with back button
See "Why doesn't my Back Button return me to the previous page?" here:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Your custom hosts file is in play here (i.e., blocking the "previous" page).
Use the dropdown menu to the right of the Back/Forward buttons to return to
the desired page.