Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?
In IE7 I could drag the Favorites bar up to the Menu Bar. In IE8 it
seems like I can only move it down to the bar where the tabs are. Can
it be moved in IE8? Perhaps with a modification someone has written?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?
Hi Bob,

From top to bottom of the IE toolbar you can arrange it as

1. Navigation Bar
2. Menu Bar + Third party toolbars
2.5 The Navigation bar can also appear under the Menu Bar/Toolbars area with
a registry tweak.
3. Command Bar
4. Favorites Center Button + Favorites Bar
5. Tabs Bar (Unmovable, always appears above the Web page area)

Alternative layouts are
3. Command Bar + Favorites Center Button + Command Bar <+> Favorites Bar
4. Tabs bar

or

3. Favorites Center button + Tabs bar + Favorites Bar <+> Command Bar
(<+> means that the two bars position can be swapped)
so
<answer>
No, you cannot move the Favorites Bar up to the same area occupied by the
Menu Bar and Third-party toolbars
There could be a third-party toolbar that lists your Internet Shortcuts in
your Favorites/Links folder, but with IE's Loosely coupled toolbars it would
slow IE down to a snails pace with each new tab. There would be security
considerations in allowing Folders in the same area as other Third-party
toolbars.
</answer>
<tip>
Right click on the Task bar and select Toolbars>Links from the context menu
to display the Links bar (aka Favorites/Links=IE Favorites Bar) in the
taskbar....
I pin my taskbar to the top of the screen where my mouse if most often
positioned (in easy reach of menus in windows)
</tip>

Regards.

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
news:9k5jp5l4fenmmp0uqei25eklkps3abp0n4@4ax.com...
> In IE7 I could drag the Favorites bar up to the Menu Bar. In IE8 it
> seems like I can only move it down to the bar where the tabs are. Can
> it be moved in IE8? Perhaps with a modification someone has written?
>
> Thanks,


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:37:18 +1100, "rob^_^"
<iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:

><answer>
>No, you cannot move the Favorites Bar up to the same area occupied by the
>Menu Bar and Third-party toolbars
>There could be a third-party toolbar that lists your Internet Shortcuts in
>your Favorites/Links folder, but with IE's Loosely coupled toolbars it would
>slow IE down to a snails pace with each new tab. There would be security
>considerations in allowing Folders in the same area as other Third-party
>toolbars.
></answer>


Thanks. I'll never figure out why MS seems to think it's an
improvement each time they remove useful a feature from one of their
programs.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?
<laugh/>

I quite like it. I do think it is an improvement...

Mostly I use the Add to Favorites Bar button, not the Add to Favorites
button, menu or context menu.

When I am finished searching and have accumulated the links I want to keep
on the Favorites bar I can easily drag them to a folder on the Favorites
Center.... easier than the clunky Add to Favorites dialog which ALLways
opens up at the Favorites Root.

I think their reasoning was for hosting Web Slices in an area of the Toolbar
that was separate from other Third-party toolbars (to stop those addons
hijacking your web slice results).
When a Webslice on the Favorites bar receives an update its text and
background flashes... Keeping it at eye-level attracts the attention of the
user when an update is received.

ppl didn't like IE7 at first either, but over time I think they will warm to
IE8.

Regards.

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
news:e6hjp55tau8futf2lglm30fc7a35aoel4b@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:37:18 +1100, "rob^_^"
> <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>><answer>
>>No, you cannot move the Favorites Bar up to the same area occupied by the
>>Menu Bar and Third-party toolbars
>>There could be a third-party toolbar that lists your Internet Shortcuts in
>>your Favorites/Links folder, but with IE's Loosely coupled toolbars it
>>would
>>slow IE down to a snails pace with each new tab. There would be security
>>considerations in allowing Folders in the same area as other Third-party
>>toolbars.
>></answer>

>
> Thanks. I'll never figure out why MS seems to think it's an
> improvement each time they remove useful a feature from one of their
> programs.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 - Move Favorites Bar to Menu Bar area?
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:19:02 +1100, "rob^_^"
<iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>ppl didn't like IE7 at first either, but over time I think they will warm to
>IE8.


I have no objection to them adding features... but they seem to have
been removing them too with each release since IE6! Seems to go along
with the removal of features from Windows releases since 2000 :-)

Thanks again,

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to move Public 'user' area to another drive? Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 01-30-2009 23:01
How to move Public 'user' area to another drive? Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 01-29-2009 00:11
How to move Public 'user' area to another drive? Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 01-29-2009 00:11
How to move Public 'user' area to another drive? Neil microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 01-29-2009 00:11
Favorites Center viewing area too narrow Jo-Anne microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 3 09-18-2008 19:39




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120