Windows XP Home

Dean

Windows XP Home
12:16 PM 3/11/2010//
What would make Windows XP Home,to take sooo long
to boot up,and take sooo long to shout down?
Once I'm on the net every thing is ok,it's just it takes sooo long to
do startup and shout down.

Leonard Grey

Re: Windows XP Home
Could be a thousand different things. Are you collecting guesses? Here's
mine: malware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Dean wrote:
> 12:16 PM 3/11/2010//
> What would make Windows XP Home,to take sooo long
> to boot up,and take sooo long to shout down?
> Once I'm on the net every thing is ok,it's just it takes sooo long to
> do startup and shout down.

G. R. Woodring

Re: Windows XP Home
I'll add a couple more :-)

(1) You have allowed programs to load themselves at start-up. Most work just as well
if they only load when you *want* to start the program. I have 4 items in the System
Tray: Network Connection, Volume Control, Anti-virus, Safely Remove Hardware (Memory
card reader). My system starts in just under 1 minute.

(2) Less likely but REALLY impacts shutdown: Windows swapfile is set to be cleared at
shutdown. With this setting my system will take almost 10 minutes to shutdown,
without it (and other tweaks) my system now shuts down in about 8 seconds.

Only 997 possibilities left :-D

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 3/11/2010 2:55 PM, Author: Dean Wrote:
> 12:16 PM 3/11/2010//
> What would make Windows XP Home,to take sooo long
> to boot up,and take sooo long to shout down?
> Once I'm on the net every thing is ok,it's just it takes sooo long to
> do startup and shout down.

Jeff Strickland

Re: Windows XP Home

"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message
> I'll add a couple more :-)
>
> (1) You have allowed programs to load themselves at start-up. Most work
> just as well if they only load when you *want* to start the program. I
> have 4 items in the System Tray: Network Connection, Volume Control,
> Anti-virus, Safely Remove Hardware (Memory card reader). My system starts
> in just under 1 minute.
>
> (2) Less likely but REALLY impacts shutdown: Windows swapfile is set to be
> cleared at shutdown. With this setting my system will take almost 10
> minutes to shutdown, without it (and other tweaks) my system now shuts
> down in about 8 seconds.
>
> Only 997 possibilities left :-D

And one of them is insufficient RAM.

My system boots and shuts down much faster now that I have 4G of RAM. Well,
I also replaced the motherboard when I installed the new RAM, so I'm not
sure what helped. But one can never be too rich or have too much RAM.

Re: Windows XP Home
How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer (and why are you
"shouting down" your computer)?

See...

Help! My computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer

What to do if your Computer is running slowly
http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutori...ningslowly.php
--
WinXP-specific newsgroup: