Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning

[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Did the recently-installed updates include WinXP SP3?

When (approx. date) did your Norton subscription expire? What anti-virus
application is installed now?

Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you installed
IE7 (and/or SP3)?
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

AndreaL wrote:
> I just updated my XP with every update under the sun. I also removed
> norton
> with a removal tool. I updated to IE7 and cannot get anything at all to
> load. It opens, the diagnostic tool says there is no connection issue, but
> it won't work. I did disable add ons and did a reset and they didn't help.
> What next? I do not want to go to IE8 and IE6 has no tabs, which I love.
> Help!

AndreaL

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7. The
Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running during
installation.

I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
won't even open.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
> when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Did the recently-installed updates include WinXP SP3?
>
> When (approx. date) did your Norton subscription expire? What anti-virus
> application is installed now?
>
> Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you installed
> IE7 (and/or SP3)?
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> AndreaL wrote:
> > I just updated my XP with every update under the sun. I also removed
> > norton
> > with a removal tool. I updated to IE7 and cannot get anything at all to
> > load. It opens, the diagnostic tool says there is no connection issue, but
> > it won't work. I did disable add ons and did a reset and they didn't help.
> > What next? I do not want to go to IE8 and IE6 has no tabs, which I love.
> > Help!

> .

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?

What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
(or free trial) expired?

AndreaL wrote:
> I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7.
> The
> Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running
> during
> installation.
>
> I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
> won't even open.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2)
>> when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>>
>> Did the recently-installed updates include WinXP SP3?
>>
>> When (approx. date) did your Norton subscription expire? What anti-virus
>> application is installed now?
>>
>> Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you
>> installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> AndreaL wrote:
>>> I just updated my XP with every update under the sun. I also removed
>>> norton
>>> with a removal tool. I updated to IE7 and cannot get anything at all to
>>> load. It opens, the diagnostic tool says there is no connection issue,
>>> but
>>> it won't work. I did disable add ons and did a reset and they didn't
>>> help.
>>> What next? I do not want to go to IE8 and IE6 has no tabs, which I love.
>>> Help!

>> .

AndreaL

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
None. I didn't install anything.

I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6. I'd like to
update to IE7 but am now afraid to. I removed all of the anti-virus Norton
through a removal tool (again) and as far as I can see there is no other
anti-virus on here now.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?
>
> What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
> application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
> (or free trial) expired?
>

> AndreaL wrote:
> > I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7.
> > The
> > Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running
> > during
> > installation.
> >
> > I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
> > won't even open.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> >> SP2)
> >> when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
> >>
> >> Did the recently-installed updates include WinXP SP3?
> >>
> >> When (approx. date) did your Norton subscription expire? What anti-virus
> >> application is installed now?
> >>
> >> Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you
> >> installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?
> >> --
> >> IE-specific newsgroup:
> >>
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .

> .

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
AndreaL wrote:
> None. I didn't install anything.
>
> I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6. I'd like to
> update to IE7 but am now afraid to. I removed all of the anti-virus Norton
> through a removal tool (again) and as far as I can see there is no other
> anti-virus on here now.

Both IE 6 and 7 are vulnerable. Go for IE8

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?
>>
>> What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
>> application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
>> (or free trial) expired?
>>

>> AndreaL wrote:
>>> I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7.
>>> The
>>> Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running
>>> during
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
>>> won't even open.

>> .

AndreaL

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
I'm sorry to be a bother. I did end up downloading IE7 and it is installed. I
double checked everywhere I could figure to check and there is no anti-virus
on this computer. When I open IE7 I get the IE cannot display this page
notice with a blank screen. I cannot load any pages at all in it.

"AndreaL" wrote:

> None. I didn't install anything.
>
> I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6. I'd like to
> update to IE7 but am now afraid to. I removed all of the anti-virus Norton
> through a removal tool (again) and as far as I can see there is no other
> anti-virus on here now.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?
> >
> > What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
> > application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
> > (or free trial) expired?
> >

> > AndreaL wrote:
> > > I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7.
> > > The
> > > Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running
> > > during
> > > installation.
> > >
> > > I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
> > > won't even open.

> > .

smlunatick

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
On Mar 11, 7:42*pm, AndreaL <Andr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> None. I didn't install anything.
>
> I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6. I'd like to
> update to IE7 but am now afraid to. I removed all of the anti-virus Norton
> through a removal tool (again) and as far as I can see there is no other
> anti-virus on here now.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?

> > What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
> > application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
> > (or free trial) expired?

> > AndreaL wrote:
> > > I did install SP3. Uninstalled it, didn't help even after reloading IE7.
> > > The
> > > Norton expired in 2004. I did a complete removal. It was not running
> > > during
> > > installation.

> > > I just uninstalled IE7 in the hopes that it would revert to IE6 and now it
> > > won't even open.

> > .

What was the update sequence?

A recommended update sequence is:

SP3
IE7 or IE8

You may need to uninst
AndreaL

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
I uninstalled SP3 and installed IE7. I did not update again with SP3.
I can't use IE8 due to some website incompatibilities.
It's still dead as a doornail.

"smlunatick" wrote:

> On Mar 11, 7:42 pm, AndreaL <Andr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > None. I didn't install anything.
> >
> > I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6. I'd like to
> > update to IE7 but am now afraid to. I removed all of the anti-virus Norton
> > through a removal tool (again) and as far as I can see there is no other
> > anti-virus on here now.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Repost: What anti-virus application is installed now?

> > > What anti-virus application did you install after you removed your Norton
> > > application and did you install it before or after your Norton subscription
> > > (or free trial) expired?

> > > .

> What was the update sequence?
>

> A recommended update sequence is:
>
> SP3
> IE7 or IE8
>
> You may need to uninst
> .

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
>> the diagnostic tool says there is no connection issue

Unfortunately that doesn't tell you anything about how IE will be treated
through that connection. E.g. you might have a personal firewall set up
which is blocking an "unauthorized" version of iexplore.exe as being a
possible Trojan.

---

> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2)
> when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> Did the recently-installed updates include WinXP SP3?
>
> When (approx. date) did your Norton subscription expire? What anti-virus
> application is installed now?
>
> Was your anti-virus application running in the background when you
> installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> AndreaL wrote:
>> I just updated my XP with every update under the sun. I also removed
>> norton
>> with a removal tool. I updated to IE7 and cannot get anything at all to
>> load. It opens, the diagnostic tool says there is no connection issue,
>> but
>> it won't work. I did disable add ons and did a reset and they didn't
>> help.
>> What next? I do not want to go to IE8 and IE6 has no tabs, which I love.
>> Help!

Re: IE7 on XP Not Functioning
> I ended up doing a system restore and now I'm back to IE6.

NB: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update, Service Pack, or IE
upgrade! Instead, uninstall the update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade &
reboot. If that doesn't correct the problem, then try System Restore.

> None. I didn't install [an anti-virus application after I removed
> Norton 2004]

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe