Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error

doxideb

Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
> error message:
> Windows Internet Explorer
> Script Error
> Error:Automation Server can't create object
> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
> Call Stack:
>
> - box with OK -
>
> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank page
> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
>
> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
> lot
> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
to report it here.

> Thank you for any anticipated help.

rob^_^

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
Hi,

Type

shell:favorites

in the IE Address bar... this will open a Windows Explorer Window at what
should be the same folder as your IE Favorites (Unless you are using XP and
IE6 and have sometime in the past moved your Favorites folder for IE to a
different location)

Have you done a disk cleanup yet or a disk defrag?
(Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools)

I saw a terrabyte external drive advertised for $150 today. Thats about the
same storage as 20 laptop computers.

Regards.

"doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
>> error message:
>> Windows Internet Explorer
>> Script Error
>> Error:Automation Server can't create object
>> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
>> Call Stack:
>>
>> - box with OK -
>>
>> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
>> page
>> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
>> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
>>
>> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
>> lot
>> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> to report it here.
>>
>> Thank you for any anticipated help.

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
In my reply to your post in WinXP General suggesting that you post about IE
issues in this newsgroup, I also included the link
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm

doxideb wrote:
>> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
>> error message:
>> Windows Internet Explorer
>> Script Error
>> Error:Automation Server can't create object
>> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
>> Call Stack:
>>
>> - box with OK -
>>
>> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
>> page
>> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
>> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
>>
>> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
>> lot
>> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> to report it here.
>>
>> Thank you for any anticipated help.

Donald Anadell

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error

"doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
>> error message:
>> Windows Internet Explorer
>> Script Error
>> Error:Automation Server can't create object
>> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
>> Call Stack:
>>
>> - box with OK -
>>
>> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
>> page
>> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
>> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
>>
>> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
>> lot
>> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> to report it here.
>>
>> Thank you for any anticipated help.

You might try reinstalling the Windows Script Engine to see if it resolves
your issue.

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP:

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

doxideb

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
I did not see that amongst all of the other links. Thank you; I'll check it
later today.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> In my reply to your post in WinXP General suggesting that you post about IE
> issues in this newsgroup, I also included the link
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/redxorg.htm
>
> doxideb wrote:
> >> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
> >> error message:
> >> Windows Internet Explorer
> >> Script Error
> >> Error:Automation Server can't create object
> >> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
> >> Call Stack:
> >>
> >> - box with OK -
> >>
> >> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
> >> page
> >> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
> >> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
> >>
> >> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
> >> lot
> >> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> > I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> > to report it here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for any anticipated help.

> .

doxideb

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
Thank you, Rob... I'll try that after I've gotten some sleep. I bought a
refurbished 1TB external drive from Overstock a few weeks ago for much less!
I appreciate the suggestions.

Debbie

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Type
>
> shell:favorites
>
> in the IE Address bar... this will open a Windows Explorer Window at what
> should be the same folder as your IE Favorites (Unless you are using XP and
> IE6 and have sometime in the past moved your Favorites folder for IE to a
> different location)
>
> Have you done a disk cleanup yet or a disk defrag?
> (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools)
>
> I saw a terrabyte external drive advertised for $150 today. Thats about the
> same storage as 20 laptop computers.
>
> Regards.
>
> "doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
> >> error message:
> >> Windows Internet Explorer
> >> Script Error
> >> Error:Automation Server can't create object
> >> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
> >> Call Stack:
> >>
> >> - box with OK -
> >>
> >> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
> >> page
> >> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
> >> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
> >>
> >> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
> >> lot
> >> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> > I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> > to report it here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for any anticipated help.

doxideb

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
P.S. Yes, I've done regular disk cleanups & defrags.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Type
>
> shell:favorites
>
> in the IE Address bar... this will open a Windows Explorer Window at what
> should be the same folder as your IE Favorites (Unless you are using XP and
> IE6 and have sometime in the past moved your Favorites folder for IE to a
> different location)
>
> Have you done a disk cleanup yet or a disk defrag?
> (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools)
>
> I saw a terrabyte external drive advertised for $150 today. Thats about the
> same storage as 20 laptop computers.
>
> Regards.
>
> "doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
> >> error message:
> >> Windows Internet Explorer
> >> Script Error
> >> Error:Automation Server can't create object
> >> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
> >> Call Stack:
> >>
> >> - box with OK -
> >>
> >> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
> >> page
> >> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
> >> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
> >>
> >> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
> >> lot
> >> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> > I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> > to report it here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for any anticipated help.

doxideb

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
Donald, thank you for your suggestion. I tried and got a response telling me
that what I have currently is a more current version of that one. Whether
that is an indication of part of the problem, I have no clue!

Thank you! Debbie

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I click on 'organize favorites' below 'add to favorites', I get this
> >> error message:
> >> Windows Internet Explorer
> >> Script Error
> >> Error:Automation Server can't create object
> >> Page:favorites.htm?folder=
> >> Call Stack:
> >>
> >> - box with OK -
> >>
> >> While this is displayed, the term 'loading' is on the otherwise blank
> >> page
> >> (under the headers), just scrolling... it never goes anywhere. Can't
> >> navigate away from the page; must completely close the browser page.
> >>
> >> My hard drive is almost full & I'd really like to be able to clean out a
> >> lot
> >> of dead links on my list. This has been an issue for several months.

> > I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was told
> > to report it here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for any anticipated help.

> You might try reinstalling the Windows Script Engine to see if it resolves
> your issue.
>
> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP:
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> .

Donald Anadell

> Donald, thank you for your suggestion. I tried and got a response telling
> me
> that what I have currently is a more current version of that one. Whether
> that is an indication of part of the problem, I have no clue!

That response would imply that you have the latest version of the Windows
Script Engine(Version 5.7) for Windows XP already installed on your machine.

However, it's possible that one of the DLL file components of the Scripting
Engine has become Unregistered. Try running the "Fixit" at the following
site to re-register all the file component of the Scripting Engine.

Fixit:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

Or, you can do it manually by re-registering the following 3 file. Enter
each in the Run Box one at a time and click OK.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

I'm simply trying to rule out the Windows Scripting Engine as being the
source of your problem.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thank you! Debbie
>
> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "doxideb" <doxideb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I have Windows XP & IE7. I posted this first in the WinXP forum & was
>> > told
>> > to report it here.

>> You might try reinstalling the Windows Script Engine to see if it
>> resolves
>> your issue.
>>
>> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP:
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> .

doxideb

Re: Unable to 'organize favorites' due to IE script error
Donald!!!
You are my MVP!!!!! I've spent 3 hours just now trouble shooting this;
somewhere along the way I lost my IE browser so I've got that set up again.
HOWEVER, the magic fix was your suggestion to re-register the 3 files. The
page opened and said it was loading; I just held my breath, waiting for the
script error message... then there they were! All of my favorites files!!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time, patience and support... I
am out-of-this-world grateful!!!

I also appreciate the other responses and I did try all of those suggestions
without success ~ however, I have learned a tremendous amount of new
information and have added all of the recommended resources to my - you
guessed it! - my Favorites list!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Sincerely,
Debbie