Cannot open .asx URLs

Softshell

Cannot open .asx URLs
I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I receive
an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". The
open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then Open
URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox. Media
Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems to
be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which I
prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Thank you for stating your full Windows version in your first post!
<applause>

Are you accessing the web pages via IE8 32-bit or IE8 64-bit?

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?

Softshell wrote:
> I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> receive an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web
> page". The open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select
> File then Open URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem
> until I installed IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I
> temporarily installed Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will
> work with Firefox. Media Player is the default program to open any .asx
> files . The problem seems to be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3
> files open with no problems. Any suggestions will be appreciated, short
> of
> ditching Internet Explorer which I prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

rob^_^

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Hi,

Which sites? one or two will do.

There are security considerations with opening asx files from the internet.
It is important that you have not changed the default IE Security zone
settings.

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default".

Normally asx files WILL open in the associated 'Player' (WMP). Web sites
should not be offering links to asx files, rather they should be using an
embedded 'Player' in their pages that use the link to the asx file as the
source.

This was introduced as a security measure with XP SP2 and since IE7.

Regards.

"Softshell" <Softshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> receive
> an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
> The
> open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then
> Open
> URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
> IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
> Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox.
> Media
> Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems
> be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
> suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which
> prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

rob^_^

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Hi,

Where are you located? (country)

As of Feb 1, all CBS, AOL and Yahoo music streams are unavailable to users
outside of the US.

(some steaming sites have not been blocked yet though... who's to blame?
suits, lots and lots of suits)

Regards.

"Softshell" <Softshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> receive
> an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
> The
> open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then
> Open
> URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
> IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
> Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox.
> Media
> Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems
> be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
> suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which
> prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

Donald Anadell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs

"Softshell" <Softshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> receive
> an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
> The
> open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then
> Open
> URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
> IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
> Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox.
> Media
> Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems
> be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
> suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which
> prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

Does "Windows Live Photo Gallery" play a role here, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974538

Do you have the .asx file association set properly?
How To Set or Change File Associations in Vista, see:
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html

Set Program Associations and Defaults
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ses-by-default

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Donald Anadell wrote:
<snip>
> Does "Windows Live Photo Gallery" play a role here, see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974538

Nice catch!
Softshell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
I access the web pages normally with IE 32-bit. Since IE 64-bit is also on
my Start Menu I've tried accessing these sites with it, but with the same
negative results.

To address your specific questions:

1. The behavior is the same with IE in No Add-ons mode.

2. I reset Advanced Settings and the problem still persists.

3. I'm using Norton 360, Version 4.0. My subscription is current. There
are no third-party firewalls in use. IE 8 was installed automatically as
part of Windows Automatic Updates and Norton 360 was running in the
background.

4. There was a trial version of Norton 360 on the machine, but I used
Norton's Removal Tool to purge the trial version before installing N360, 2.0.

One other thing I tried recently was to download RealPlayer's free version.
Once I changed the default program for opening .asx files from Windows Media
Player to RealPlayer, I was able to connect to the web site's streaming. I
had even contacted the web sites in question to ask if they were having
connection issues from other users and they all replied that, no, they
weren't.
Thanks .

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thank you for stating your full Windows version in your first post!
> <applause>
>
> Are you accessing the web pages via IE8 32-bit or IE8 64-bit?
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
> IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Softshell wrote:
> > I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> > click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> > Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> > receive an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web
> > page". The open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select
> > File then Open URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem
> > until I installed IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I
> > temporarily installed Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will
> > work with Firefox. Media Player is the default program to open any .asx
> > files . The problem seems to be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3
> > files open with no problems. Any suggestions will be appreciated, short
> > of
> > ditching Internet Explorer which I prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

> .

Softshell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Hi,
Country is the United States.

Here are two sites that I have problems with:
http://www.bbnradio.org/WCM4/Home/tabid/70/Default.aspx
and
http://www.fbnradio.com/

Security zones are, and have always been, at default settings.

Interestingly enough, as I replied to PA Bear, I downloaded RealPlayer (free
version), changed the default program to open .asx links from Windows Media
Player to RealPlayer, and the "Play" and "Listen Live" links to streaming on
these sites open up with no problems in RealPlayer. I contacted these sites
when the problem first came up and they both responded that no other users
had reported any difficulty. I can receive streaming from these sites now,
only not in Windows Media Player. As I mentioned in my original post, by
installing Mozilla's Firefox browser I was able to open these two streams in
Windows Media Player with no problems.

Thanks.
--
Joseph

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which sites? one or two will do.
>
> There are security considerations with opening asx files from the internet.
> It is important that you have not changed the default IE Security zone
> settings.
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default".
>
> Normally asx files WILL open in the associated 'Player' (WMP). Web sites
> should not be offering links to asx files, rather they should be using an
> embedded 'Player' in their pages that use the link to the asx file as the
> source.
>
> This was introduced as a security measure with XP SP2 and since IE7.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Softshell" <Softshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> > click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> > Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> > receive
> > an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
> > The
> > open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then
> > Open
> > URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
> > IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
> > Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox.
> > Media
> > Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems
> > be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
> > suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which
> > prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

Softshell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs
Donald,
I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery to open anything, even though it's
installed on my system.

File associations are set and all defaults are in place.

Program Associations and all Defaults are set for Windows Media Player.

As I mentioned in my original post, when I used Mozilla's Firefox as my
browser, the sites' streaming programs would open fine in Windows Media
Player. There's just some glitch between IE8 and WMP. Installing RealPlayer
as my default program for these .asx files has corrected the issue when I
open with IE8. I would prefer to use WMP, but this work-around does the
trick.
Thanks.
--
Joseph

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Softshell" <Softshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running IE8 on a Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP2. I can no longer
> > click on a media link on several web pages I visit to open up the media in
> > Media Player 11. Whenever I click on a media link with a .asx file I
> > receive
> > an error message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
> > The
> > open way I can open the link is to open Media Player, select File then
> > Open
> > URL then manually enter the URL. This was not a problem until I installed
> > IE8. To see if the problem might be due to IE8, I temporarily installed
> > Mozilla's Firefox and the URL links I select will work with Firefox.
> > Media
> > Player is the default program to open any .asx files . The problem seems
> > be only with .asx files and IE8, as .mp3 files open with no problems. Any
> > suggestions will be appreciated, short of ditching Internet Explorer which
> > prefer over Firefox. Thanks.

> Does "Windows Live Photo Gallery" play a role here, see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974538
>
> Do you have the .asx file association set properly?
> How To Set or Change File Associations in Vista, see:
> http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html
>
> Set Program Associations and Defaults
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ses-by-default
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > --
> >

> .

Donald Anadell

Re: Cannot open .asx URLs

> Donald,

> I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery to open anything, even though it's
> installed on my system.

Did you read the article closely, it didn't say the problem stems form using
Windows Live Photo Gallery to "open anything". It states that the problem
arises from either installing, upgrading or uninstalling Windows Live Photo
Gallery.

So did you attempt to use the fix offered in that article?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell