Launch icons disappear

Ray

Launch icons disappear
Windows XP Pro Sp3 IE8

Every time I boot up some of my launch icons which used to show are gone. Some do but
after a while they all disappear except the server connection icon.

I installed the latest Google update and now it has to be reinstalled each time in order
for the icon to appear on the desktop and the launch bar. I updated the Vipre
antivirus program but can't recall if the icon problem happened before or after that.

I also have the black bar problem in my IE8 browser page which it appears cannot be fixed.

--
Ray

Re: Launch icons disappear
Why, you're just full of problems, aren't you?

in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

it)?

What third-party Windows Themes software is installed (e.g., Stardock
WindowBlinds)?

Ray wrote:
> Windows XP Pro Sp3 IE8
>
> Every time I boot up some of my launch icons which used to show are gone.
> Some do but after a while they all disappear except the server connection
> icon.
> I installed the latest Google update and now it has to be reinstalled each
> time in order for the icon to appear on the desktop and the launch bar. I
> updated the Vipre antivirus program but can't recall if the icon problem
> happened before or
> after that.
> I also have the black bar problem in my IE8 browser page which it appears
> cannot be fixed.

Ray

Re: Launch icons disappear
My antivirus programs are Microsoft Essentials and Vipre 4.0. I have only one running at
a time. Vipre was upgraded two days ago.

Anti-spyware is Tuneup and Superantispyware. Both current. Neither of these were
installed when I installed IE8. I have never used any Norton or McAfee applications.

I do not have any third party themes installed.

--
Ray
> current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a
> free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>
> What third-party Windows Themes software is installed (e.g., Stardock WindowBlinds)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Ray wrote:
>> Windows XP Pro Sp3 IE8
>>
>> Every time I boot up some of my launch icons which used to show are gone. Some do but
>> after a while they all disappear except the server connection
>> icon.
>> I installed the latest Google update and now it has to be reinstalled each
>> time in order for the icon to appear on the desktop and the launch bar. I
>> updated the Vipre antivirus program but can't recall if the icon problem happened
>> before or
>> after that.
>> I also have the black bar problem in my IE8 browser page which it appears
>> cannot be fixed.

Re: Launch icons disappear
Which was installed first, Vipre or MSE?

Have you purchased Vipre?

You should only have one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading at
boot. With your current set up, chances are that neither of them are
working properly, hence your problems.

Ray wrote:
> My antivirus programs are Microsoft Essentials and Vipre 4.0. I have only
> one running at a time. Vipre was upgraded two days ago.
>
> Anti-spyware is Tuneup and Superantispyware. Both current. Neither of
> these were installed when I installed IE8. I have never used any Norton
> or
> McAfee applications.
> I do not have any third party themes installed.
>
>> Why, you're just full of problems, aren't you?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

>> bought it)? What third-party Windows Themes software is installed (e.g.,
>> Stardock
>> WindowBlinds)? --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Ray wrote:
>>> Windows XP Pro Sp3 IE8
>>>
>>> Every time I boot up some of my launch icons which used to show are
>>> gone.
>>> Some do but after a while they all disappear except the server
>>> connection
>>> icon.
>>> I installed the latest Google update and now it has to be reinstalled
>>> each
>>> time in order for the icon to appear on the desktop and the launch bar.
>>> updated the Vipre antivirus program but can't recall if the icon problem
>>> happened before or
>>> after that.
>>> I also have the black bar problem in my IE8 browser page which it
>>> appears
>>> cannot be fixed.

Ray

Re: Launch icons disappear
Vipre

--
Ray

> Which was installed first, Vipre or MSE?
>
> Have you purchased Vipre?
>
> You should only have one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading at boot. With
> your current set up, chances are that neither of them are working properly, hence your
> problems.
>

> Ray wrote:
>> My antivirus programs are Microsoft Essentials and Vipre 4.0. I have only
>> one running at a time. Vipre was upgraded two days ago.
>>
>> Anti-spyware is Tuneup and Superantispyware. Both current. Neither of
>> these were installed when I installed IE8. I have never used any Norton or
>> McAfee applications.
>> I do not have any third party themes installed.
>>
>>> Why, you're just full of problems, aren't you?
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>>> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)? What third-party Windows Themes software is installed (e.g., Stardock
>>> WindowBlinds)? --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Launch icons disappear
Repost: Have you purchased Vipre?

Ray wrote:
> Vipre
>
>> Which was installed first, Vipre or MSE?
>>
>> Have you purchased Vipre?
>>
>> You should only have one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading
>> at
>> boot. With your current set up, chances are that neither of them are
>> working properly, hence your problems.
>>
>>> My antivirus programs are Microsoft Essentials and Vipre 4.0. I have
>>> only
>>> one running at a time. Vipre was upgraded two days ago.
>>>
>>> Anti-spyware is Tuneup and Superantispyware. Both current. Neither of
>>> these were installed when I installed IE8. I have never used any Norton
>>> or McAfee applications.
>>> I do not have any third party themes installed.

G. R. Woodring

Re: Launch icons disappear
Check the log files for SuperAntispyware. I had an instance where it removed an
entire program folder from C:\Program Files\. I only found out why the program
disappeared when I found it listed in SuperAntispyware's log. If you find a
file (or files) has been removed you will need to determine if there is an
actual infection or a false positive.

Not saying with any certainty that this is your problem but it is one place to
look. Check logs for other anti-virus/anti-malware programs, too.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 3/10/2010 12:21 PM, Author: Ray Wrote:
> My antivirus programs are Microsoft Essentials and Vipre 4.0. I have only one running at
> a time. Vipre was upgraded two days ago.
>
> Anti-spyware is Tuneup and Superantispyware. Both current. Neither of these were
> installed when I installed IE8. I have never used any Norton or McAfee applications.
>
> I do not have any third party themes installed.

Ray

Re: Launch icons disappear
Purchased

--
Ray

> Repost: Have you purchased Vipre?
>
> Ray wrote:
>> Vipre
>>
>>> Which was installed first, Vipre or MSE?
>>>
>>> Have you purchased Vipre?
>>>
>>> You should only have one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading at
>>> boot. With your current set up, chances are that neither of them are
>>> working properly, hence your problems.

Re: Launch icons disappear
Uninstall MSE & reboot.