tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?

Bennett Haselton

tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I
can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and
whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them?
From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is
just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is
due to what add-on.

(The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just
disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is
causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next
memory spike to occur.)

Bennett

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

Assuming IE7 or IE8...

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed IE7 (WinXP) or IE8 (WinXP or Vista)?

it)?

Bennett Haselton wrote:
> If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I
> can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and
> whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them?
> From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is
> just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is
> due to what add-on.
>
> (The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just
> disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is
> causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next
> memory spike to occur.)
>
> Bennett

Bennett Haselton

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
IE8 on Windows XP SP3. However like I said in my original post, the
memory spikes happen so infrequently, that it's impossible to change
something and tell if the problem "still repros", since it may be
hours before it repros again.

I'm testing a beta version of Flash, and the memory spikes started
happening in both IE and Firefox after I installed the beta Flash
version, which is why I suspect the problem is caused by Flash, but
I'd like to be able to tell for sure before filing a bug report. (To
answer your other question, I have had Norton Anti-Virus installed on
this PC for several months, but this problem never occurred until
recently when I installed the beta Flash player.)

Which leads back to my original question: Is there a tool that can
tell me how much memory is being used by each individual IE add-on?

On Mar 9, 6:27*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
> reply.
>
> Assuming IE7 or IE8...
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?
>
> * *=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7&
> IE8 in all OSS]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9237...net-Explorer-s...
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)? *Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7 (WinXP) or IE8 (WinXP or Vista)?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>

> Bennett Haselton wrote:
> > If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I
> > can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and
> > whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them?
> > From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is
> > just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is
> > due to what add-on.

> > (The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just
> > disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is
> > causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next
> > memory spike to occur.)

> > Bennett- Hide quoted text -

rob^_^

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
Hi Bennett,

That would be Flash beta Auto-updates trying to call home. Open Task Manager
or MSconfig and Identify its Service name.
Then you can use Process Monitor to monitor its resources consumption.

It would be intermittent because it will depend upon which web sites and
their security zones that you have opened in the browser at that particular
time the update service fires off.

Ask any further questions at the Adobe Beta support site. We are volunteers
here and do not work for or represent Microsoft or Adobe.

Regards.

"Bennett Haselton" <bennett@peacefire.org> wrote in message
> IE8 on Windows XP SP3. However like I said in my original post, the
> memory spikes happen so infrequently, that it's impossible to change
> something and tell if the problem "still repros", since it may be
> hours before it repros again.
>
> I'm testing a beta version of Flash, and the memory spikes started
> happening in both IE and Firefox after I installed the beta Flash
> version, which is why I suspect the problem is caused by Flash, but
> I'd like to be able to tell for sure before filing a bug report. (To
> answer your other question, I have had Norton Anti-Virus installed on
> this PC for several months, but this problem never occurred until
> recently when I installed the beta Flash player.)
>
> Which leads back to my original question: Is there a tool that can
> tell me how much memory is being used by each individual IE add-on?
>
> On Mar 9, 6:27 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>> version
>> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
>> next
>> reply.
>>
>> Assuming IE7 or IE8...
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> &
>> IE8 in all OSS]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings
>> (RIES)?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9237...net-Explorer-s...
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> Defender)?
>> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
>> running
>> in the background when you installed IE7 (WinXP) or IE8 (WinXP or Vista)?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Bennett Haselton wrote:
>> > If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I
>> > can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and
>> > whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them?
>> > From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is
>> > just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is
>> > due to what add-on.

>> > (The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just
>> > disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is
>> > causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next
>> > memory spike to occur.)

>> > Bennett- Hide quoted text -

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
I will defer to my colleague Rob here.

That being said, have you tried No Add-ons mode and/or doing a Reset?

Bennett Haselton wrote:
> IE8 on Windows XP SP3. However like I said in my original post, the
> memory spikes happen so infrequently, that it's impossible to change
> something and tell if the problem "still repros", since it may be
> hours before it repros again.
>
> I'm testing a beta version of Flash, and the memory spikes started
> happening in both IE and Firefox after I installed the beta Flash
> version, which is why I suspect the problem is caused by Flash, but
> I'd like to be able to tell for sure before filing a bug report. (To
> answer your other question, I have had Norton Anti-Virus installed on
> this PC for several months, but this problem never occurred until
> recently when I installed the beta Flash player.)
>
> Which leads back to my original question: Is there a tool that can
> tell me how much memory is being used by each individual IE add-on?
>
> On Mar 9, 6:27 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>> SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>> version
>> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
>> next
>> reply.
>>
>> Assuming IE7 or IE8...
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> &
>> IE8 in all OSS]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings
>> (RIES)?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9237...net-Explorer-s...
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> Defender)?
>> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
>> running
>> in the background when you installed IE7 (WinXP) or IE8 (WinXP or Vista)?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Bennett Haselton wrote:
>>> If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I
>>> can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and
>>> whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them?
>>> From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is
>>> just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is
>>> due to what add-on.

>>> (The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just
>>> disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is
>>> causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next
>>> memory spike to occur.)

>>> Bennett- Hide quoted text -

rob^_^

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
Hi,

(bubble thought) download fiddler from http://www.fiddlertool.com and
monitor your outbound traffic and the process making the requests.

Regards.

> Hi Bennett,
>
> That would be Flash beta Auto-updates trying to call home. Open Task
> Manager or MSconfig and Identify its Service name.
> Then you can use Process Monitor to monitor its resources consumption.
>
> It would be intermittent because it will depend upon which web sites and
> their security zones that you have opened in the browser at that
> particular time the update service fires off.
>
> Ask any further questions at the Adobe Beta support site. We are
> volunteers here and do not work for or represent Microsoft or Adobe.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Bennett Haselton" <bennett@peacefire.org> wrote in message
>> IE8 on Windows XP SP3. However like I said in my original post, the
>> memory spikes happen so infrequently, that it's impossible to change
>> something and tell if the problem "still repros", since it may be
>> hours before it repros again.
>>
>> I'm testing a beta version of Flash, and the memory spikes started
>> happening in both IE and Firefox after I installed the beta Flash
>> version, which is why I suspect the problem is caused by Flash, but
>> I'd like to be able to tell for sure before filing a bug report. (To
>> answer your other question, I have had Norton Anti-Virus installed on
>> this PC for several months, but this problem never occurred until
>> recently when I installed the beta Flash player.)
>>
>> Which leads back to my original question: Is there a tool that can
>> tell me how much memory is being used by each individual IE add-on?
>>
>> On Mar 9, 6:27 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
>>> SP2;
>>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE
>>> version
>>> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
>>> next
>>> reply.
>>>
>>> Assuming IE7 or IE8...
>>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to
>>> IE7 &
>>> IE8 in all OSS]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings
>>> (RIES)?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9237...net-Explorer-s...
>>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>>> your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)?
>>> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
>>> running
>>> in the background when you installed IE7 (WinXP) or IE8 (WinXP or
>>> Vista)?
>>>
>>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>>> this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?

rob^_^

Re: tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
I'm way off the mark....

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...leasenotes.pdf

It would be your video driver. There is a debug version that you can
download from labs.adobe.com

Actually.. the public RC version of their player includes the Adobe Updater,
so that still (auto-updates) may be a factor.