www.Wal-mart.com

denmarfl

www.Wal-mart.com
W7 Home prem 32bit; IE8

Today when I tried to go to www.walmart.com.....the site that opened was
www.mobile.walmart.com. I have www.walmart.com added in my Compatibility
View settings....because a month ago when going to the WalMart site I would
get a Download Window and the fix was to open another Walmart site (ie a
dept) and than ADD that site to the Compatibilty View setting. Afgter I did
that I was going directly to the Wal-mart Home.....but now I am going to the
mobile.walmart.com site.

Suggestions?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: www.Wal-mart.com

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> W7 Home prem 32bit; IE8
>
> Today when I tried to go to www.walmart.com.....the site that opened was
> www.mobile.walmart.com. I have www.walmart.com added in my Compatibility
> View settings....because a month ago when going to the WalMart site I
> would
> get a Download Window and the fix was to open another Walmart site (ie a
> dept) and than ADD that site to the Compatibilty View setting. Afgter I
> did
> that I was going directly to the Wal-mart Home.....but now I am going to
> the
> mobile.walmart.com site.
>

> Suggestions?

You have something in your User-Agent string which can be misinterpreted
by sloppy parsing. Try using the UAPick add-on to simplify your UA string
for that site.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

denmarfl

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
Thanks....but I don't understand what you are advsing me to do.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > W7 Home prem 32bit; IE8
> >
> > Today when I tried to go to www.walmart.com.....the site that opened was
> > www.mobile.walmart.com. I have www.walmart.com added in my Compatibility
> > View settings....because a month ago when going to the WalMart site I
> > would
> > get a Download Window and the fix was to open another Walmart site (ie a
> > dept) and than ADD that site to the Compatibilty View setting. Afgter I
> > did
> > that I was going directly to the Wal-mart Home.....but now I am going to
> > the
> > mobile.walmart.com site.
> >

> > Suggestions?

> You have something in your User-Agent string which can be misinterpreted
> by sloppy parsing. Try using the UAPick add-on to simplify your UA string
> for that site.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
> .

Dan

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
He was implying you should install this:
http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/o...gent_Switcher/

However, I'd suggest not doing that right away. Go to
http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and copy and paste the red string you see near
the top of that page into a reply here. That way we can see what IE is using
for it's user agent string - this is how sites identify what the browser is
and what options are enabled.

As Robert stated in his reply, there's likely something in the user agent
that the Walmart site thinks means it's a mobile browser. For instance, on
Feb 7 someone else posted about their IE8 being treated as a mobile browser,
and it was noted that he had Creative AutoUpdate listed in his user agent
string and the letters "pda" were being interpreted by the site as meaning
it was a pda device so was displaying the mobile version of the site. It's
sloppy coding on the part of the site, but to work around it you will need
to remove the identifying string from your user agent but also make sure
it's valid, so if you post your current user agent string in a reply here we
can tell you what to change it to using the UAPick tool from the link above.

Dan

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news898FAFF-6DAF-4179-B127-3B25C2AAD040@microsoft.com...
> Thanks....but I don't understand what you are advsing me to do.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > W7 Home prem 32bit; IE8
>> >
>> > Today when I tried to go to www.walmart.com.....the site that opened
>> > was
>> > www.mobile.walmart.com. I have www.walmart.com added in my
>> > Compatibility
>> > View settings....because a month ago when going to the WalMart site I
>> > would
>> > get a Download Window and the fix was to open another Walmart site (ie
>> > dept) and than ADD that site to the Compatibilty View setting. Afgter
>> > did
>> > that I was going directly to the Wal-mart Home.....but now I am going
>> > the
>> > mobile.walmart.com site.
>> >

>> > Suggestions?

>> You have something in your User-Agent string which can be
>> misinterpreted
>> by sloppy parsing. Try using the UAPick add-on to simplify your UA
>> string
>> for that site.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>
>> .

denmarfl

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
When I clicked on the link you provided I got "Page Not Found"....I then
copied and pasted the Link into the address bar....and the page opened:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0;
Media Center PC 5.0; MS-RTC LM 8; SLCC1; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)

"Dan" wrote:

> He was implying you should install this:
> http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/o...gent_Switcher/
>
> However, I'd suggest not doing that right away. Go to
> http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and copy and paste the red string you see near
> the top of that page into a reply here. That way we can see what IE is using
> for it's user agent string - this is how sites identify what the browser is
> and what options are enabled.
>
> As Robert stated in his reply, there's likely something in the user agent
> that the Walmart site thinks means it's a mobile browser. For instance, on
> Feb 7 someone else posted about their IE8 being treated as a mobile browser,
> and it was noted that he had Creative AutoUpdate listed in his user agent
> string and the letters "pda" were being interpreted by the site as meaning
> it was a pda device so was displaying the mobile version of the site. It's
> sloppy coding on the part of the site, but to work around it you will need
> to remove the identifying string from your user agent but also make sure
> it's valid, so if you post your current user agent string in a reply here we
> can tell you what to change it to using the UAPick tool from the link above.
>
> Dan
>

> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news898FAFF-6DAF-4179-B127-3B25C2AAD040@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks....but I don't understand what you are advsing me to do.
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >

> >> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> You have something in your User-Agent string which can be
> >> misinterpreted
> >> by sloppy parsing. Try using the UAPick add-on to simplify your UA
> >> string
> >> for that site.
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---
> >>
> >> .

Rob

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
denmarfl <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When I clicked on the link you provided I got "Page Not Found"....I then
> copied and pasted the Link into the address bar....and the page opened:
>
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET
> CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0;
> Media Center PC 5.0; MS-RTC LM 8; SLCC1; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is your problem.
You have installed the Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01 package and the
website thinks you have a pda because that occurs in the text.

You can probably uninstall that package. But I don't know if
the uninstall will neatly remove the text from the user-agent
string. It could be you have to do that manually.
denmarfl

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
I do recall right after W7 strated following an In-Place repair that I saw a
window open that read Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01 installed.....I didn't
have a choice.....it did so automatically and the message was an after the
fact message. I do see Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01 in the programs &
feature list.

However it is mentioned deleting this may not correct the issue (so I have
not deleted it), and, since it installed automatically back on 3/4/10 (right
after I started W7 for the 1st time after In-Place Repair was run)....it most
likely will install automatically again.

I wouldn't have a clue how to manually remove the text from the User-agent
string.

What causes this to happen? Surely this Creative Updater was installed with
my Previous W7\IE8 Install.........

> When I clicked on the link you provided I got "Page Not Found"....I then
> copied and pasted the Link into the address bar....and the page opened:

Odd. The link is fine, as you proved by copy-and-paste. Sounds like your
news reader messed up the link ...

> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2;
> .NET
> CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC
> 6.0;
> Media Center PC 5.0; MS-RTC LM 8; SLCC1; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)

As Rob has pointed out, and I'd already assumed would be the case, Creative
AutoUpdate is causing this. If you don't want to remove the software, use
the UAPick software to change the string to

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0;
Media Center PC 5.0; MS-RTC LM 8; SLCC1

You could also maybe make it a little shorter, long UA strings can cause
problems with some sites. Just make sure you retain the closing parentheses,
and that you keep a single semi-colon between each entry inside the
parentheses. Also make sure you keep it to at least the following:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0

as this identifies the browser as IE8, your version of Windows as Windows 7
(it's actually version 6.1!), and that it uses the Trident 4 layout engine
and is used to identify IE8 in IE7 Compatibility Mode.

Dan

> "Dan" wrote:
>
>> He was implying you should install this:
>> http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/o...gent_Switcher/
>>
>> However, I'd suggest not doing that right away. Go to
>> http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and copy and paste the red string you see
>> near
>> the top of that page into a reply here. That way we can see what IE is
>> using
>> for it's user agent string - this is how sites identify what the browser
>> is
>> and what options are enabled.
>>
>> As Robert stated in his reply, there's likely something in the user agent
>> that the Walmart site thinks means it's a mobile browser. For instance,
>> on
>> Feb 7 someone else posted about their IE8 being treated as a mobile
>> browser,
>> and it was noted that he had Creative AutoUpdate listed in his user agent
>> string and the letters "pda" were being interpreted by the site as
>> meaning
>> it was a pda device so was displaying the mobile version of the site.
>> It's
>> sloppy coding on the part of the site, but to work around it you will
>> need
>> to remove the identifying string from your user agent but also make sure
>> it's valid, so if you post your current user agent string in a reply here
>> we
>> can tell you what to change it to using the UAPick tool from the link
>> above.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> "denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news898FAFF-6DAF-4179-B127-3B25C2AAD040@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks....but I don't understand what you are advsing me to do.

denmarfl

Re: www.Wal-mart.com
You guys are good...and quick. Why wouldn't this impact all sites I go
to....why just the Walmart Site?

I wonder if I delete the Creative Updater from P&F if it will resolve the
Issue?

I do see Creative Updater in my Msconfig Startup lists; I wonder if I should
uncheck it?

Also, I do wonder why after W7 started following my Upgrade\Repair...why
this Creative Updater was automatically installed....what triggered it and
why I was given a Choice.

> You guys are good...and quick. Why wouldn't this impact all sites I go
> to....why just the Walmart Site?

Because not all sites look for the 3 letters "pda" in the UA string and
redirect to a different site if they find them. None of the sites I've built
do so, and if I did set up a site with mobile specific content I'd certainly
not base the entire thing on looking for a string of 3 letters that might
crop up inside a longer word ...

> I wonder if I delete the Creative Updater from P&F if it will resolve the
> Issue?

Doubt it.

> I do see Creative Updater in my Msconfig Startup lists; I wonder if I
> should
> uncheck it?

Leave it running. Use the UAPick tool to just remove it from the UA string,
and all will be well.

> Also, I do wonder why after W7 started following my Upgrade\Repair...why
> this Creative Updater was automatically installed....what triggered it and
> why I was given a Choice.

No idea - you must have something installed that uses it, soundcard drivers
perhaps? I certainly don't have it on my Windows 7 based PC at home, but I'm
using an nVidia based board with Realtek audio and no Creative software at
all.

Dan