My IE8 does not support GZIP encoding?

Martin Kultermann

My IE8 does not support GZIP encoding?

Hello, I am testing a web app with GZIP compression and my version of IE
8.0.6001.18702 does not return an "ACCEPT-ENCODING GZIP, DEFLATE" header and
when I tested my browser on web sites that check GZIP support, they answer
no. This used to work with earlier versions in 6.5 or 7.

As far as I understand, this support is supposedly automatic and I can find
no add-ons or installers to add this support.

Any ideas on what I am missing would be appreciated.

TIA, Cheers

Rob

Re: My IE8 does not support GZIP encoding?
Martin Kultermann <MartinKultermann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am testing a web app with GZIP compression and my version of IE
> 8.0.6001.18702 does not return an "ACCEPT-ENCODING GZIP, DEFLATE" header and
> when I tested my browser on web sites that check GZIP support, they answer
> no. This used to work with earlier versions in 6.5 or 7.
>
> As far as I understand, this support is supposedly automatic and I can find
> no add-ons or installers to add this support.
>
> Any ideas on what I am missing would be appreciated.

You probably have some antivirus program that wants to study all traffic
and wants to avoid the complication of compression. This antivirus
removes the Accept_encoding header from your request, so the remote never
sends compressed data.
Martin Kultermann

Re: My IE8 does not support GZIP encoding?
Hi Rob, thanks for your reply.

I disabled all functions in AVG 9.0 and still have the same problem.
According to http://browserspy.dk my GZIP support is as follows:

Browser says that it has GZip support? No or not detected!
Browser supports GZipped JavaScript? Yes
Browser supports GZipped CSS? Yes

Martin

"Rob" wrote:

> Martin Kultermann <MartinKultermann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I am testing a web app with GZIP compression and my version of IE
> > 8.0.6001.18702 does not return an "ACCEPT-ENCODING GZIP, DEFLATE" header and
> > when I tested my browser on web sites that check GZIP support, they answer
> > no. This used to work with earlier versions in 6.5 or 7.
> >
> > As far as I understand, this support is supposedly automatic and I can find
> > no add-ons or installers to add this support.
> >
> > Any ideas on what I am missing would be appreciated.

> You probably have some antivirus program that wants to study all traffic
> and wants to avoid the complication of compression. This antivirus
> removes the Accept_encoding header from your request, so the remote never
> sends compressed data.
> .

Rob

Re: My IE8 does not support GZIP encoding?
Martin Kultermann <MartinKultermann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob, thanks for your reply.
>
> I disabled all functions in AVG 9.0 and still have the same problem.
> According to http://browserspy.dk my GZIP support is as follows:
>
> Browser says that it has GZip support? No or not detected!
> Browser supports GZipped JavaScript? Yes
> Browser supports GZipped CSS? Yes

Check if there is no proxy configured in your browser.

IE8 supports gzip and deflate, I checked it on my system.
But it is common for antivirus software to remove this capability.
Maybe you need to completely uninstall it or manually remove the
proxy setting in the browser.

Test Result
Browser says that it has GZip support? Yes via gzip
Browser supports GZipped JavaScript? Yes
Browser supports GZipped CSS? Yes

At least it is not a fault of IE8...