Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Frequently used Favourites folder does not ppo-up contents

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2010
Richard Roseweir
 

Posts: n/a
Frequently used Favourites folder does not ppo-up contents
Using WinXP SP3 fully updated, IE8 (8.0.6001.18702) updated to v0.0

All is good except a frequent glitch when pointing, to frequently used
folder in the Favourites menu, does not cause the contents (sub-folders and
webpages) to display in the pop-up menu. Does not show Empty, does not show
anything.

Can be solved by:

1) Moving the folder within the list
2) Renaming the folder, problem will re-occur later
3) Copying contents to a newly created folder of a different name, problem
will re-occur later
4) Using Favourites folder in the Hot List (*) on left-hand side of first
tab

This frequently used Favourites folder contains many sub-folder and many
websites frequently visited/used.

Same list in non-preferred Opera browser with no difficulties.

Any ideas to correct this very annoying glitch?

Sincerely,
Richard
Surrey, BC, Canada


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2010
Richard Roseweir
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Frequently used Favourites folder does not pop-up contents
This is the first time since forever that I appear to have stumped the team.
Too bad about that eh!

I have attempted to assist myself by:
1) backing-up the contents of the Favourites folder
2) deleting and recreating the Favourites folder
3) recreating the original problematic folder and sub-folders
4) recreating the URL entries within the sub-folder

As before, the folder may or may not pop-up when pointed at by the cursor.
Strange, very strange!

For what it's worth, am using McAfee VirusPlus as 3rd party antivirus and
firewall.

Microsoft is offering free IE8 support but MS tech reps in far away India
want to gain control over my computer. As if that's likely to happen? No
way hosea!

Am currently using my non-preferred Opera browser and its non-problematic
Bookmarks in an increasing fashion.

So can the team still try to help, or should I consider this issue beyond us
all? Just having some fun in an otherwise stressful day!

Richard,
Surrey, BC, Canada.


"Richard Roseweir" <richrose@telus.net> wrote in message
news:ew$d1buvKHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Using WinXP SP3 fully updated, IE8 (8.0.6001.18702) updated to v0.0
>
> All is good except a frequent glitch when pointing, to frequently used
> folder in the Favourites menu, does not cause the contents (sub-folders
> and webpages) to display in the pop-up menu. Does not show Empty, does
> not show anything.
>
> Can be solved by:
>
> 1) Moving the folder within the list
> 2) Renaming the folder, problem will re-occur later
> 3) Copying contents to a newly created folder of a different name, problem
> will re-occur later
> 4) Using Favourites folder in the Hot List (*) on left-hand side of first
> tab
>
> This frequently used Favourites folder contains many sub-folder and many
> websites frequently visited/used.
>
> Same list in non-preferred Opera browser with no difficulties.
>
> Any ideas to correct this very annoying glitch?
>
> Sincerely,
> Richard
> Surrey, BC, Canada
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Frequently used Favourites folder does not pop-up contents
I don't think anybody bothered to reply to your post because this is a
well-known bug in IE7, IE8 (and IE6 IIRC) in WinXP. Happens to me several
times a day. Yes, it's very frustrating.

I have two workarounds: Open a new tab (and then close the original one); or
close the IE window and open a new one.


Richard Roseweir wrote:
> This is the first time since forever that I appear to have stumped the
> team.
> Too bad about that eh!
>
> I have attempted to assist myself by:
> 1) backing-up the contents of the Favourites folder
> 2) deleting and recreating the Favourites folder
> 3) recreating the original problematic folder and sub-folders
> 4) recreating the URL entries within the sub-folder
>
> As before, the folder may or may not pop-up when pointed at by the cursor.
> Strange, very strange!
>
> For what it's worth, am using McAfee VirusPlus as 3rd party antivirus and
> firewall.
>
> Microsoft is offering free IE8 support but MS tech reps in far away India
> want to gain control over my computer. As if that's likely to happen? No
> way hosea!
>
> Am currently using my non-preferred Opera browser and its non-problematic
> Bookmarks in an increasing fashion.
>
> So can the team still try to help, or should I consider this issue beyond
> us
> all? Just having some fun in an otherwise stressful day!
>
> Richard,
> Surrey, BC, Canada.
>
>
> "Richard Roseweir" <richrose@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:ew$d1buvKHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Using WinXP SP3 fully updated, IE8 (8.0.6001.18702) updated to v0.0
>>
>> All is good except a frequent glitch when pointing, to frequently used
>> folder in the Favourites menu, does not cause the contents (sub-folders
>> and webpages) to display in the pop-up menu. Does not show Empty, does
>> not show anything.
>>
>> Can be solved by:
>>
>> 1) Moving the folder within the list
>> 2) Renaming the folder, problem will re-occur later
>> 3) Copying contents to a newly created folder of a different name,
>> problem
>> will re-occur later
>> 4) Using Favourites folder in the Hot List (*) on left-hand side of first
>> tab
>>
>> This frequently used Favourites folder contains many sub-folder and many
>> websites frequently visited/used.
>>
>> Same list in non-preferred Opera browser with no difficulties.
>>
>> Any ideas to correct this very annoying glitch?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Richard
>> Surrey, BC, Canada


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Frequently used Favourites folder does not pop-up contents

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:#iqXYtXwKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I don't think anybody bothered to reply to your post because this is a
> well-known bug in IE7, IE8 (and IE6 IIRC) in WinXP. Happens to me several
> times a day. Yes, it's very frustrating.



FWIW the scenario is unclear to me. E.g. would you see this using the
Favorites menu using the keyboard? E.g. press Alt-a then first-letter
and CursorRight navigation to a target?

I find that with IE8's smart Address bar I am using Favorites much less but
when I do use them I typically show the menu by starting with Alt-a. In
XP I just as often began from the Windows Start button with Win (pause) a.
W7 has made that less convenient but it is still possible: Win (pause)
CursortDown, F, CursorRight.

BTW if this is a mouse related thing, is it going to be related to the "Back
button problem" that some others (mostly W7 X64 users it appears) have
gotten so excited about? <eg>


Robert
---


>
> I have two workarounds: Open a new tab (and then close the original one);
> or close the IE window and open a new one.
>
>
> Richard Roseweir wrote:
>> This is the first time since forever that I appear to have stumped the
>> team.
>> Too bad about that eh!
>>
>> I have attempted to assist myself by:
>> 1) backing-up the contents of the Favourites folder
>> 2) deleting and recreating the Favourites folder
>> 3) recreating the original problematic folder and sub-folders
>> 4) recreating the URL entries within the sub-folder
>>
>> As before, the folder may or may not pop-up when pointed at by the
>> cursor.
>> Strange, very strange!
>>
>> For what it's worth, am using McAfee VirusPlus as 3rd party antivirus
>> and
>> firewall.
>>
>> Microsoft is offering free IE8 support but MS tech reps in far away India
>> want to gain control over my computer. As if that's likely to happen?
>> No
>> way hosea!
>>
>> Am currently using my non-preferred Opera browser and its non-problematic
>> Bookmarks in an increasing fashion.
>>
>> So can the team still try to help, or should I consider this issue beyond
>> us
>> all? Just having some fun in an otherwise stressful day!
>>
>> Richard,
>> Surrey, BC, Canada.
>>
>>
>> "Richard Roseweir" <richrose@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:ew$d1buvKHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Using WinXP SP3 fully updated, IE8 (8.0.6001.18702) updated to v0.0
>>>
>>> All is good except a frequent glitch when pointing, to frequently used
>>> folder in the Favourites menu, does not cause the contents (sub-folders
>>> and webpages) to display in the pop-up menu. Does not show Empty, does
>>> not show anything.
>>>
>>> Can be solved by:
>>>
>>> 1) Moving the folder within the list
>>> 2) Renaming the folder, problem will re-occur later
>>> 3) Copying contents to a newly created folder of a different name,
>>> problem
>>> will re-occur later
>>> 4) Using Favourites folder in the Hot List (*) on left-hand side of
>>> first
>>> tab
>>>
>>> This frequently used Favourites folder contains many sub-folder and many
>>> websites frequently visited/used.
>>>
>>> Same list in non-preferred Opera browser with no difficulties.
>>>
>>> Any ideas to correct this very annoying glitch?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Richard
>>> Surrey, BC, Canada

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Frequently used Favourites folder does not pop-up contents
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
>> I don't think anybody bothered to reply to your post because this is a
>> well-known bug in IE7, IE8 (and IE6 IIRC) in WinXP. Happens to me
>> several
>> times a day. Yes, it's very frustrating.

>
> FWIW the scenario is unclear to me. E.g. would you see this using the
> Favorites menu using the keyboard?...


Absolutely.

Just to be clear, this happens only via Menu bar | Favorites dropdown menu
and only if the folder-in-question has been repeatedly accessed /in the tab/
during the current session.

The behavior does not persist in a newly-open tab (whether the original tab
is still open at the time or not).

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saving to a folder in my favourites file........ fubar Windows Vista Home Premium 0 12-12-2009 00:22
How to see folder contents without clicking on folder. ThomasAJ microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 05-06-2009 03:14
Have favourites folder default to a desire path Paul microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 07-10-2008 17:41
Favourites menu - How to close the folder tree Spikey microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 12-17-2007 02:49
Favourites folder Chris Weir microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-08-2007 19:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120