Having both IE6 and IE8

Dan

Having both IE6 and IE8
Hi -

I have been using IE8 at work for a while and now find out an application I
need requires IE6. I have gotten so used to IE8 that I'd rather not go back
to IE6. Is there any way to have both versions loaded?

Thanks for any help -

Dan
Jeff Strickland

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
What do you have that requires IE6 and does not work with IE8?

I think you need to visit the Website of the application and get the update.

> Hi -
>
> I have been using IE8 at work for a while and now find out an application
> need requires IE6. I have gotten so used to IE8 that I'd rather not go
> back
> to IE6. Is there any way to have both versions loaded?
>

> Thanks for any help -
>
> Dan

Dan

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
It gives a message something like:
"Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. In order to download
a current version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework, please ensure
that your browser security settings are correct and then log in to the
application again. Consult your system administrator for details about the
Siebel High Interactivity Framework and correct browser settings"

In reading other posts online it seems to have something to do with active-x
controls, and how there may be a difference in version between what I have
and what it expects. I've changed my IE8 security settings to enable
downloading, etc. but it continues to give the same error. I do have admin
privileges on my computer so I can't see why it still doesn't work. I
figured my last hope before I remove IE8 is to check see if they can both be
loaded, the way different versions of office can. Do you know if that's
possible?

Thanks!

Dan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote:

> What do you have that requires IE6 and does not work with IE8?
>
> I think you need to visit the Website of the application and get the update.
>

> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have been using IE8 at work for a while and now find out an application
> > need requires IE6. I have gotten so used to IE8 that I'd rather not go
> > back
> > to IE6. Is there any way to have both versions loaded?
> >

> > Thanks for any help -
> >
> > Dan

> .

Rob

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> It gives a message something like:
> "Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
> for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. In order to download
> a current version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework, please ensure
> that your browser security settings are correct and then log in to the
> application again. Consult your system administrator for details about the
> Siebel High Interactivity Framework and correct browser settings"

Did you try holding the CTRL key while opening the site?
Dan

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
Yes, I tried that also. I saw that as a possible solution in some of the
posts I've read but it didn't correct it.

Thanks for your help, Rob.

Dan

"Rob" wrote:

> Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > It gives a message something like:
> > "Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
> > for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. In order to download
> > a current version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework, please ensure
> > that your browser security settings are correct and then log in to the
> > application again. Consult your system administrator for details about the
> > Siebel High Interactivity Framework and correct browser settings"

> Did you try holding the CTRL key while opening the site?
> .

VanguardLH

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
Dan wrote:

> It gives a message something like:
> "Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
> for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. ..."

Since you bought Siebel's CRM product (now owned by Oracle), why not ask
their tech support?

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/index.htm

If Oracle no longer supports Siebel, you may be stuck with that old version
unless you move to some other similar or replacement software.

You've been runing IE8 ... on WHAT? You need to use IE6 ... on WHAT? Are
we to guess as to WHICH version of Windows that you use?

So will Siebel CRM run inside a virtual machine?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8

> Hi -
>
> I have been using IE8 at work for a while and now find out an application
> need requires IE6.

That's ridiculous. How would it run on Vista (only IE7 or IE8) or W7 (IE8
only)?

> I have gotten so used to IE8 that I'd rather not go back
> to IE6. Is there any way to have both versions loaded?

If there is no later version which supports newer OS, the only possibility
will be making the User-Agent string look like IE6. E.g. in IE8 you could
install UAPick and try spoofing IE6. E.g. if the app is doing something
like parsing javascript:navigator.userAgent then that might work.

> Thanks for any help -
>
> Dan

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jeff Strickland

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8

> Dan wrote:
>
>> It gives a message something like:
>> "Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
>> for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. ..."

> Since you bought Siebel's CRM product (now owned by Oracle), why not ask
> their tech support?

I think the problem is there too, not with IE.

VanguardLH

Re: Having both IE6 and IE8
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Dan wrote:
>>
>>> "Your version of the Siebel High Interactivity Framework for IE, required
>>> for use of this Siebel application, may not be current. ..."

>> Since you bought Siebel's CRM product (now owned by Oracle), why not ask
>> their tech support?

> I think the problem is there too, not with IE.

They started in 1993, had IBM redistributing them, and lasted until 2005
when Oracle decided to buy them but support didn't move to Oracle until the
start of 2008. That was under 5 years ago and considering how prevalent
they were back then is why I figure they'd still be alive within Oracle if
only for the support.

According to the Oracle/Siebel support page, Siebel customers get lifetime
support. It doesn't look like Oracle dropped that as their web page is
still noting that lifetime support.

http://www.oracle.com/siebel/support.html

Now if a copy of Siebel "walked off" from the company grounds to wind up in
this guy's house, well, he became his own support staff for that product.

I didn't see "Siebel" listed in Oracle's online store but they might've
rolled that product into another of Oracle's products or renamed it. It's
probably been over a decade since Siebel was something I heard about often
enough to remember what the OP was asking about. We didn't use it at our
company but we had to write interfaces to it as part of a product that
allowed business to share data between these types of programs.