james

Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of text
(e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc). Sometimes it
takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I click submit, I get
a response saying the session has timed out, and the text that took me a
long time to compose is gone.

Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't work.
Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

Leonard Grey

Re: avoid losing text when text submission timed out?
The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in
TIF, but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and
paste the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the
hard way. ;-)

It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.

Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe
it's called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would
write a similar add-on for IE.

On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad.
That way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get
flustered by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else
I can help you with today?"
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

james wrote:
> Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of
> text (e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc).
> Sometimes it takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I
> click submit, I get a response saying the session has timed out, and the
> text that took me a long time to compose is gone.
>
> Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't
> work. Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

Jeff Strickland

Re: avoid losing text when text submission timed out?
Compose yout text with NotePad (START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>NOTEPAD), then
Select All and Copy, then go to the submission page and Paste.

In answer to your question, no, the stuff you type is gone forever.

> The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in TIF,
> but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and paste
> the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the hard way.
> ;-)
>
> It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
> this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.
>
> Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe it's
> called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would write a
> similar add-on for IE.
>
> On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
> support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad. That
> way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get flustered
> by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else I can help
> you with today?"
> ---

I _hate_ that! They click Send, and that steals the focus from the Input Box
where I'm typing, and I don't notice until I click Send and a partial
thought gets posted.